Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? 22:55 - Oct 23 with 1611 viewsjpring89

Surely playing the same team week in week out players develop and get an understanding with their team mates. Changing it every game it’s never Going to work.
I was very much all for this at the start of the season, but constantly changing our team is doing us no favours. Arguably the players we have are just not good enough for the championship but Hurst is just not galvanising this group in the same way Mick could to dig out results regardless of performance and how well we play.
If Hurst cannot deliver an upturn in form by January roughly then I think we have to look for a new manger to try keep us in the division.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 23:04 - Oct 23 with 1586 viewsBlueBadger

If Hurst cannot deliver an upturn in form by January then we're probably irredeemably f*cked.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 23:06 - Oct 23 with 1588 viewsHARRY10

It can often be a case of who are the best X1 to get the most out of the opposition. And that can change, when you may be up against a more physical team, one with a pacy winger, or one where we can exploit their weaknesses.

Players do work with their team mates in training so are not dependent upon the games alone to develop understanding.

What I suspect is that we don't have the quality and numbers of coaching staff to be developing players on an individual basis. Players do not seem to be improving, and those out of loan do not seem to be returning better (if returning at all).

There is only so long you can run things on the cheap before it shows - and badly in our case.
Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 00:28 - Oct 24 with 1535 viewsMelford

Because he doesn't know what his best team is. I could see a plan that wasn't quite coming off but could given time against the likes of Blackburn and Villa in those initial games. Against the scum he set us up Mick style to not get beat,which you could understand for that game. Since then ***k knows what's going on, the defence especially. 3rd choice centre back at right back, our best right back at left back whilst our World Cup playing left back who played for his country during the international break sits on the bench.

It's all such a mess, there's no clear tactical plan that just needs time to click in. It changes from game to game without much effect, desperately scrabbling around to find something that works. There was something there early on but that's long gone now.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 03:03 - Oct 24 with 1497 viewshoppy

I know what you mean, and don’t disagree, however there is a slight irony in the timing of you making this point, after he kept a completely unchanged starting lineup and bench from the Swansea victory to go into the QPR game, which was such a poor performance.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 07:26 - Oct 24 with 1396 viewsFixed_It

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 03:03 - Oct 24 by hoppy

I know what you mean, and don’t disagree, however there is a slight irony in the timing of you making this point, after he kept a completely unchanged starting lineup and bench from the Swansea victory to go into the QPR game, which was such a poor performance.

And interestingly, I have read so much criticism of the team selection since the defeat in Saturday, when pre-match most people on social media were agreeing with him sticking by his winning starting line-up from the Swansea game...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 07:29 - Oct 24 with 1389 viewsReuser_is_God

To be fair after Saturday abject ‘performance’ he’d be right to make changes this time.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 07:47 - Oct 24 with 1364 viewschristiand

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 07:26 - Oct 24 by Fixed_It

And interestingly, I have read so much criticism of the team selection since the defeat in Saturday, when pre-match most people on social media were agreeing with him sticking by his winning starting line-up from the Swansea game...

It wasn't his starting line up at Swansea that won him the game, it was the one that finished the match which should have started against QPR.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 08:09 - Oct 24 with 1335 viewsGarv

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 07:47 - Oct 24 by christiand

It wasn't his starting line up at Swansea that won him the game, it was the one that finished the match which should have started against QPR.

Debatable. We won that first half 2-1.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 08:14 - Oct 24 with 1331 viewschristiand

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 08:09 - Oct 24 by Garv

Debatable. We won that first half 2-1.

But we weren't in the game for long periods, until he changed things up at half time.

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 08:17 - Oct 24 with 1327 viewsGarv

Whether he does or doesn't make changes is almost irrelevant at the moment because the quality in the squad is so low. He stuck with the same team after Swansea which I was happy with, and we saw the result against QPR.

I imagine we might see a return for Graham and maybe Jackson.

Would you suggest making no changes from Saturday's game?

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 09:00 - Oct 24 with 1288 viewschristiand

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 08:17 - Oct 24 by Garv

Whether he does or doesn't make changes is almost irrelevant at the moment because the quality in the squad is so low. He stuck with the same team after Swansea which I was happy with, and we saw the result against QPR.

I imagine we might see a return for Graham and maybe Jackson.

Would you suggest making no changes from Saturday's game?

He desperately needs to change it, I was amazed we came out after half time and he hadn't made any changes against QPR, Garv. I actually thought Jackson came on and did ok on the left and young Lankester was impressive with his cameo appearance. Edwards will certainly start on one flank, but the other is very much up for grabs and I'd start Lankester. There are other selection issues I feel, but will he be brave enough? It will be interesting to see what our starting XI is come 6.45pm!

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 09:55 - Oct 24 with 1242 viewsGarv

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 09:00 - Oct 24 by christiand

He desperately needs to change it, I was amazed we came out after half time and he hadn't made any changes against QPR, Garv. I actually thought Jackson came on and did ok on the left and young Lankester was impressive with his cameo appearance. Edwards will certainly start on one flank, but the other is very much up for grabs and I'd start Lankester. There are other selection issues I feel, but will he be brave enough? It will be interesting to see what our starting XI is come 6.45pm!

That surprised me too, mainly because he's not been afraid to make early changes before. It was basically Boro all over again, where I'm pretty sure he made a double sub at half time.

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 10:04 - Oct 24 with 1232 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He needs to make changes this time because the selection was wrong and the performance was so poor. He needs to select a team where players are in appropriate roles and then stick with it barring injury, suspension or possibly the odd occasion a player might not be able to play 3 times in a week (Dozzell perhaps if he is not 100% fit). Aside from that only a severe dip in form should change the team.

However, you have contradicted yourself (as many on here are) when you say the players are not good enough and Hurst is not galvanising them in the same way Mick did. I believe the players ARE good enough. We are not far from safety but Hurst is clearly not galvanising the team - either through tactics or motivation or both. If both statements were true we would be far from the other teams around us already. Of course, another 2 months of our current form and we will be!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 10:15 - Oct 24 with 1220 viewsfooters

Why can’t our manager just stick with the same team ? on 07:29 - Oct 24 by Reuser_is_God

To be fair after Saturday abject ‘performance’ he’d be right to make changes this time.

Nah, play them into form I reckon.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024