Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I posted this after last nights match. 19:17 - Sep 19 with 541 viewshomer_123

How we got a point out of that game is beyond me. by homer_123 18 Sep 2018 23:09
What's more, we could have got all 3!

The first half was simply shocking, from the team selection to the formation to just allowing Brentford to pass and move at will. Credit to Brentford, they looked fantastic in the first half but we made is so so easy.

The response in the second half was the very least they players could do. However, it wasn't really the change in formation that made the difference. More that we got closer to Brentford, denied they time on the ball and the space to play in. We also were playing higher up the pitch and closer to each other. Finally, we played with a degree of urgency. We worked hard, very hard and with a little bit of football in there as well.

However, we didn't really carve them open, not until Jacksons winning opportunity. And herein lies my two concerns.

1. We still have not managed any kind of sustained performance, we still only play in patches, it's simply not good enough to have such disposing halves and performances within the same game, it makes our job too hard.

2. So pleased Jackson has a goal but, for all the positives in the second half, we still look goal shy. This looks to be our biggest issue, we still don't carry any kind of decent striking threat. This needs to be addressed.

What we saw in the second half today needs to be the bare minimum going forward, the baseline in terms of effort, workrate, tempo and commitment. There is something there to build on but the point today is only really worth something if we win Saturday. We must take that second half and play with that level of guile, passion etc. for the entire match against Bolton, simple as that.

The gulf between footballing styles today was significant. Brentford are easy on the eye, although a little too Arsenal at times when trying to pass the ball in the net. But as a football fan, there is a lot to aspire to in their approach. Their movement off the ball, the change in tempo (moreover their ability to control and change it), the comfort that everyone of their players has with the ball. The mix of intricate passing and longer more direct play also impressed.

That being said and football being football, we could have nicked 3 points tonight.

In hindsight and having had the day to reflect on the match last night, i will stick with it.

To think we could have got all 3 points last night does show why football is so interesting and emotional. We were so bad in the first half and had Brentford been more clinical or Gerks less effective we would and should have been trounced.

The second half shows what can be achieved when we play higher up the pitch with a bit of pace and tempo, at the very least it cuts down the time Brentford had on the ball!

Looking ahead to Saturday, it doesn't matter who the starting the XI are, it is that approach we need to carry over from the second half last night to Saturday for the full 90 mins - that's the basis I am sure PH is wanting from us going forward.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024