Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? 08:43 - Aug 31 with 2698 viewsGeoffSentence

Having been done by play acting two games in succession, should Town go for the Villa/Wednesday approach and, lets be generous here, make the most of challenges upon them?

I've never been a fan of play acting, it seems disrespectful to your fellow professionals to endeavour to get them booked or sent off, but since we are consistently victims of such gamesmanship I am coming round to the idea of doing the same ourselves.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 08:48 - Aug 31 with 2673 viewsBLUEBEAT

Didn’t we all tire of Garner’s hamminess after a few weeks?

Poll: W or W

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 08:52 - Aug 31 with 2665 viewsElephantintheRoom

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 08:48 - Aug 31 by BLUEBEAT

Didn’t we all tire of Garner’s hamminess after a few weeks?

I'm pretty sure the introduction of competent defending and goal scoring might make more of an impact. Oh and maybe one or two of the much-hyped youngsters given a chance. If the brave new era means struggling at the bottom I'd much rather it was being down with more than half a team of Town players

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:02 - Aug 31 with 2636 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

It would be a sad day for me if we ever succumbed to this sort of thing, but it is perhaps inevitable that we will at some stage, as it seems to consume every other side.

How often have we seen Grant Holt or Chris Martin win free kick after free kick for falling over the second they feel the defenders breath on their neck.

We've been hurt badly by some teams that have taken gamesmanship to a level that is quite uncomfortable to watch but the fact that officials still don't have a grasp on it is not reason to give in to the mentality of if you can't beat them join them.

Perhaps naively I'd rather we were still known as a club that plays fair. We have never really had that kind of player integral to our side. We've had Garner who could be horrible but he was in and out of the side. Other clubs have players like Suarez or Neymar as talisman, lower down you have the likes of Grealish.

Eric Gates walked a fine line at times in that respect but I'd not say he was a cheat. He was just the right side of the line though.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:14 - Aug 31 with 2598 viewsm14_blue

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 08:52 - Aug 31 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm pretty sure the introduction of competent defending and goal scoring might make more of an impact. Oh and maybe one or two of the much-hyped youngsters given a chance. If the brave new era means struggling at the bottom I'd much rather it was being down with more than half a team of Town players

If you really are a Town fan then you really, reallly need to get a grip.

Such relentless negativity about your own team is pretty weird at any time, let alone 2 days out from a derby game.
Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:17 - Aug 31 with 2587 viewschicoazul

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:02 - Aug 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It would be a sad day for me if we ever succumbed to this sort of thing, but it is perhaps inevitable that we will at some stage, as it seems to consume every other side.

How often have we seen Grant Holt or Chris Martin win free kick after free kick for falling over the second they feel the defenders breath on their neck.

We've been hurt badly by some teams that have taken gamesmanship to a level that is quite uncomfortable to watch but the fact that officials still don't have a grasp on it is not reason to give in to the mentality of if you can't beat them join them.

Perhaps naively I'd rather we were still known as a club that plays fair. We have never really had that kind of player integral to our side. We've had Garner who could be horrible but he was in and out of the side. Other clubs have players like Suarez or Neymar as talisman, lower down you have the likes of Grealish.

Eric Gates walked a fine line at times in that respect but I'd not say he was a cheat. He was just the right side of the line though.

Amazing post. You're acting like Sedgley Goddard Bontcho Gates Garner Pablo Magilton never played for us, all masters of the dark arts.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:22 - Aug 31 with 2570 viewshomer_123

We've sold Garner.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:29 - Aug 31 with 2546 viewsGeoffSentence

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:22 - Aug 31 by homer_123

We've sold Garner.

He did spend quite a lot of time on his backside quite unnecessarily, but even he wasn't really up to rolling around clutching bits of himself that were apparently maimed.

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:33 - Aug 31 with 2531 viewsBasuco

Yes, definitely, we will see nodge rolling around play acting on Sunday and they will also put in cynical over the ball challanges as they always do under fuacker, so if we do not get real and follow the rest of the football league in this important gamesmanship, we will continue to have players sent off and not be given freekicks for fouls. We know in advance that we will see a number of heavy challanges on Gwion Edwards early on by different nodge players and he has "to make the most of them". As a danger man who can run at defenders will be a target. Take Grealish, he is not great at close control of the ball and relies heavily on going to ground easily as a way of making defenders scared of going near him.

Do I like it? No and in an ideal world this type of acting should not be part of football, but referees reward it and so encourage players to continue to feign injury, so as every other team does it then until referees stop awarding soft free kicks and very soft yellow and red cards, Ipswich must get to grips with the dark art of getting opposition players booked and sent off.

If you can't beat them, join them but if you don't like it then don't come on here moaning about not getting decisions if Town continue to make it easy for referees to not give them.
Login to get fewer ads

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:34 - Aug 31 with 2529 viewsFrimleyBlue

I think with the type of support base we have, it won't be appreciated at PR. There's still a majority who are (respectfully) ageing, who are used to an honest team of players.

Over the next 10-20 years etc, if football continues to be played the same way, the younger generation are more inclined to accept it as part of the game.

It was always interesting when people were discussing Garner on here, some liked his antics, but overall the majority weren't happy with the falling to the ground etc.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:36 - Aug 31 with 2521 viewsPositivelyPortman

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 08:52 - Aug 31 by ElephantintheRoom

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:40 - Aug 31 with 2506 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:17 - Aug 31 by chicoazul

Amazing post. You're acting like Sedgley Goddard Bontcho Gates Garner Pablo Magilton never played for us, all masters of the dark arts.

Firstly, none of those mentioned were anywhere near the levels we are talking about.

We don't simply sign gents in top hats that say how do you do to opponents. We have had steely players or players that would play a little dirty. All players can have that.

We have never had any outrageous cheat though. The difference between Holt and Counago is that Holt was good at it. He won free kicks. He conned refs. Pablo was rubbish at it, got told to get up and spent half the time protesting he'd not got a free kick.

We've had players that have gone down easily as have all clubs. We haven't had players that blatantly dived where we look back at replays and cringe.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:41 - Aug 31 with 2500 viewsGeoffSentence

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:17 - Aug 31 by chicoazul

Mind you, you have managed to name 7 players covering a forty year period, Villa had at least that many at it in one game.

Over the years we have generally been a pretty honest team and it is infuriating when others indulge in the dark arts. Of course if we start doing it too we have to way up the benefits of getting a few decisions going our way against those of enjoying some righteous indignation.

PS. After all this time I have just cottoned on to your username, muy intelligente.

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:47 - Aug 31 with 2487 viewsLeagueOne

That's almost as extreme as the Town fan who told Chris Sutton he'd rather see Ipswich relegated than Mick remain here, and then the EADT readers got all bent out of shape when Sutton rightly poked fun at that.

Cutting noses off is never clever.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:48 - Aug 31 with 2480 viewsMullet

You've forgotten Alan Lee you amateur.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:55 - Aug 31 with 2454 viewshomer_123

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:40 - Aug 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Firstly, none of those mentioned were anywhere near the levels we are talking about.

We don't simply sign gents in top hats that say how do you do to opponents. We have had steely players or players that would play a little dirty. All players can have that.

We have never had any outrageous cheat though. The difference between Holt and Counago is that Holt was good at it. He won free kicks. He conned refs. Pablo was rubbish at it, got told to get up and spent half the time protesting he'd not got a free kick.

We've had players that have gone down easily as have all clubs. We haven't had players that blatantly dived where we look back at replays and cringe.

Jim Magilton - excellent at both conning the ref (i.e. making the absolute most of a tackle to win a free kick or penalty) but moreover often ran games at the refs expense.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 10:06 - Aug 31 with 2428 viewsColin_Viljoen

Bobby Petta was the master, got booked 3 times in a season, all for being brought down!
Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 10:10 - Aug 31 with 2415 viewschicoazul

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:48 - Aug 31 by Mullet

You've forgotten Alan Lee you amateur.

And Treacle!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 10:12 - Aug 31 with 2408 viewsBloomBlue

We could get Eric Gates back to train the players on diving
Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 10:13 - Aug 31 with 2406 viewschicoazul

Should Town introduce a little more theatrics into their game? on 09:40 - Aug 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

"We have never had any outrageous cheat though"

Welcome back DanFord
[Post edited 31 Aug 2018 10:13]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024