Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
80% of UK growth from Immigration 06:51 - Aug 23 with 51639 viewsBenters2

Four Fifths of the UK's population growth over the past fifteen years was due to Immigration.

How is it ever going to work?

How can we ever keep up building houses?

Is the NHS struggling?

Does being worried about this make me a Racist?
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:16 - Aug 23 with 4049 viewsHerbivore

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:14 - Aug 23 by noggin

Blame the British people who wanted cheap labour and the British companies who employed them. That is surely where the problem lies? Everyone wants cheap goods and services.

Well quite. Blame is always apportioned to immigrants because it's easier to blame them than it is to face up to our own ills. They're an easy scapegoat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:17 - Aug 23 with 4041 viewsstickymockwell

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:16 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

Well quite. Blame is always apportioned to immigrants because it's easier to blame them than it is to face up to our own ills. They're an easy scapegoat.

Matt Richards was an immigrant?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 13:09]

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 4021 viewsPinewoodblue

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:17 - Aug 23 by stickymockwell

Matt Richards was an immigrant?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 13:09]

Some would say Wark, Burley etc were also. Now they really do have a problem!

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:33 - Aug 23 with 4009 viewsBenters2

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:16 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

How many have you worked with or know?
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:40 - Aug 23 with 3990 viewsnoggin

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:33 - Aug 23 by Benters2

How many what? If you mean immigrants, I've worked with dozens in London, and now I am an immigrant myself. What's the problem?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:42 - Aug 23 with 3983 viewsRyorry

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 08:20 - Aug 23 by connorscontract

And, to add to Weekender's point, lack of housing is directly linked to Thatcher's policy of forcing Councils to sell Council houses, but not allowing them to then use that money to build new Council houses. Which has led to a shortage of "starter" and lower cost housing, in particular, as these types of houses are less profitable for developers.

This policy is a direct factor in the cost of housing crisis facing young people, which is one of the biggest factors likely to cause social instability in the next couple of decades, but which can be made to look like it is the fault of immigration with the claim that it is"them" "taking all the houses" being made by populist political opportunists.

Free Councils to spend house sale receipts on building new houses which meet local needs and you will see a reduction in house price inflation, and a reduction in inter-racial tension.

"Free Councils to spend house sale receipts on building new houses which meet local needs ..."

Isn't it a bit late for that though, surely the money's long gone? and many Councils are desperately stretched now as it is.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:43 - Aug 23 with 3978 viewsstickymockwell

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:40 - Aug 23 by noggin

How many what? If you mean immigrants, I've worked with dozens in London, and now I am an immigrant myself. What's the problem?

Selfish barsteward.
Leaving our country, taking Oddvars job.

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:48 - Aug 23 with 3963 viewsHerbivore

Loads thanks.

Login to get fewer ads

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:54 - Aug 23 with 3940 viewseireblue

Benters, I think your post illustrates the problem.

I would wager most people on this board know and work with "immigrants".

I currently work with Spanish, French, South African, Dutch, US, Irish, Luxembourgian, Italian, Belgium, Indian, German people in our office. They are just the immigrants. Plenty of people in the office are from parents who were immigrants.

None of the English people in the company seem worried about it.
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:54 - Aug 23 with 3948 viewsnoggin

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:43 - Aug 23 by stickymockwell

Selfish barsteward.
Leaving our country, taking Oddvars job.

Norwegians just don't want to do the work

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:57 - Aug 23 with 3945 viewsfooters

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:54 - Aug 23 by eireblue

I currently work with Spanish, French, South African, Dutch, US, Irish, Luxembourgian, Italian, Belgium, Indian, German people in our office. They are just the immigrants. Plenty of people in the office are from parents who were immigrants.

They've been tricked. The first things these foreigners do is gain your trust by being friendly and working hard, then they have the audacity to find a partner, have kids and settle down here, all the while contributing to society. It's bloody shocking when you think about it.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:59 - Aug 23 with 3937 viewsHerbivore

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:57 - Aug 23 by footers

They've been tricked. The first things these foreigners do is gain your trust by being friendly and working hard, then they have the audacity to find a partner, have kids and settle down here, all the while contributing to society. It's bloody shocking when you think about it.

Coming over here, making a positive contribution to our society. It really boils my piss.

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:09 - Aug 23 with 3913 viewsRyorry

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 12:54 - Aug 23 by eireblue

I think the anonymity and vagueness of the term "immigrants" as a bloc group can be a factor for some people who, when they actually meet real people who are immigrants, find that they can relate to them as individuals who are likeable and whose positions they can understand. Maybe a bit like road-rage - tendency to go off on one when the people are at a distance & anonymous? but different when you get to know them as individuals? Dunno, just speculating.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:14 - Aug 23 with 3895 viewsHerbivore

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:09 - Aug 23 by Ryorry

I think the anonymity and vagueness of the term "immigrants" as a bloc group can be a factor for some people who, when they actually meet real people who are immigrants, find that they can relate to them as individuals who are likeable and whose positions they can understand. Maybe a bit like road-rage - tendency to go off on one when the people are at a distance & anonymous? but different when you get to know them as individuals? Dunno, just speculating.

There's something in this. Generally those who most fear 'immigrants' are those who have least exposure to them, whereas in more cosmopolitan and multi-cultural areas where people have far more contact with people from different nations there is much less fear of immigration. The Brexit vote also bore this out to an extent, many of the post pro-leave areas had low levels of migration, places like London and other big cities with higher levels of diversity were pro-remain. I think there's even a name for it, but there's a lot of evidence that backs up that those least exposed to (and affected by) high levels of immigration are the ones most afraid of or against it.

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:23 - Aug 23 with 3874 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:14 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

There's something in this. Generally those who most fear 'immigrants' are those who have least exposure to them, whereas in more cosmopolitan and multi-cultural areas where people have far more contact with people from different nations there is much less fear of immigration. The Brexit vote also bore this out to an extent, many of the post pro-leave areas had low levels of migration, places like London and other big cities with higher levels of diversity were pro-remain. I think there's even a name for it, but there's a lot of evidence that backs up that those least exposed to (and affected by) high levels of immigration are the ones most afraid of or against it.

Why does this always come down to a rascism or pro/anti immigration debate. Everyone knows there are benefits to (skilled) immigration but the numbers are unsustainable (and it would be the same if it was returning English expats - its purely a number issue). We've added 5m people to the population in the last 10 years, mostly in England one of the densest populations in the western world. You can't build millions of houses - there simply isn't enough availble land (which people forget is in many cases worth more than their house itself).
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:36 - Aug 23 with 3851 viewsEdwardStone

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:23 - Aug 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Why does this always come down to a rascism or pro/anti immigration debate. Everyone knows there are benefits to (skilled) immigration but the numbers are unsustainable (and it would be the same if it was returning English expats - its purely a number issue). We've added 5m people to the population in the last 10 years, mostly in England one of the densest populations in the western world. You can't build millions of houses - there simply isn't enough availble land (which people forget is in many cases worth more than their house itself).

The land "value" is a direct result of our useless planning system, agricultural value is generally less than £20k per acre where I live

Land with Planning Permission is more than £1 million per acre.

This excessive land cost is why we pay such high prices for such meh quality new houses....truly a Mini Metro for the price of a Ferrari

And there is plenty of land...barely 2% of the land in the UK is built upon.
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:39 - Aug 23 with 3848 viewsGlasgowBlue

If those immigrants are enriching our country both culturally and financially then that is a good thing benters.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:49 - Aug 23 with 3829 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:36 - Aug 23 by EdwardStone

The land "value" is a direct result of our useless planning system, agricultural value is generally less than £20k per acre where I live

Land with Planning Permission is more than £1 million per acre.

This excessive land cost is why we pay such high prices for such meh quality new houses....truly a Mini Metro for the price of a Ferrari

And there is plenty of land...barely 2% of the land in the UK is built upon.

England is not the UK. If the population growth was occurring in sparsely populated Scotland and Wales then it would not be such an issue.

Are you suggesting we should concrete over our farmland?
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:17 - Aug 23 with 3788 viewsstickymockwell

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 13:49 - Aug 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

England is not the UK. If the population growth was occurring in sparsely populated Scotland and Wales then it would not be such an issue.

Just the grazing land and we all become Vegans.
Sorted.

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:19 - Aug 23 with 3786 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:17 - Aug 23 by stickymockwell

Just the grazing land and we all become Vegans.
Sorted.

HA-HA - you are opening a can of worms with that comment
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:23 - Aug 23 with 3772 viewsEdwardStone

Plenty of brownfield and marginal land to be looked at before we start concreting prime agricultural

And I take your point that England is not the UK

South of England has the greatest demand, it is almost like we needed some form of Planning to help spread the demand to other areas
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:23 - Aug 23 with 3768 viewseireblue

Golf courses.

I can get to 4 full private golf courses, 3 pitch and putt style courses, 2 driving ranges, all within 2-10 minute drive.

At the edge of the town, they are going to replace some nice fields and pleasant tree lined walks, with a new school, okay good,a few houses, okay good, and another f**king mini golf club tied to one of the other private golf clubs.

I would happily see once less golf club.

I live down South in a densely populated area.

We don't need to concrete over farmland.
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:38 - Aug 23 with 3745 viewsSeablu

Blimey, the right wing arrow phantom actually speaks.
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:43 - Aug 23 with 3726 viewsBenters2

Well said chap
80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:48 - Aug 23 with 3712 viewsSpruceMoose

80% of UK growth from Immigration on 14:43 - Aug 23 by Benters2

Well said chap

Maybe it would be helpful if you tried to actually post something which reflected your thinking, rather than just latching onto other folk's posts. Might make people think you're less of a troll/daft old racist.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024