Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Silly thing that has annoyed me today 09:16 - Aug 17 with 1918 viewsGeoffSentence

FourFourTwo magazine's prediction for us to get relegated. OK, it's a perfectly valid viewpoint and I understand that some might have us down as relegation candidates.

So that hasn't annoyed me.

What has annoyed me is their reason, "a team who have batted above their average for a while now"

Rot. Tish and fipsy. Balderdash.

We have been batting below our average for a while now. They seem to be suggesting that third tier, or at least fighting to avoid it is our 'batting average'. Don't these football experts know that we have not been there or thereabouts since the fifties?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 09:28 - Aug 17 with 1870 viewsJ2BLUE

Everything is about money these days. I bet their predicted table is basically a rich list.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 09:38 - Aug 17 with 1828 viewsWD19

What they clearly mean by ‘a while’ is that we have been largely batting above our average since the 1960s.
Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 10:27 - Aug 17 with 1740 viewsHennikerBlu

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 09:28 - Aug 17 by J2BLUE

Everything is about money these days. I bet their predicted table is basically a rich list.

I am sure you are right. Unfortunately the reflection of squad values versus league positions are very similar. You get the odd blip and the middle rankings can depend a lot more on the quality of manager and the squad mentality, Burnley comes to mind, but you can see why teams are ranked in this way. I still think the most interesting season in the Prem' was the season Leicester won it.
Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 10:41 - Aug 17 with 1697 viewsHerbivore

In comparison to our budget they are spot on. They did, however, also have us 6th in terms of transfer business the other day and said we had reason to be cautiously optimistic. Basically nobody really knows what will happen in the Championship.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 11:03 - Aug 17 with 1629 viewsTractorWood

I think we'll struggle this season. Just don't think we are creative or good enough going forward. We are still reliant on 32 year old Skuse and Chambers through the spine. Bart is worth his weight in gold and Knudsen is a solid name on the team sheet.

I think our season will be defined by how many games Huws, Dozzell, Downes and Nydam can get and how much they progress. Hopefully one will emerge to be the gem we think they are.

Gut feel is lower bottom half to relegation scrap.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 11:05 - Aug 17 with 1615 viewsElephantintheRoom

Who DO you think will get relegated? Rotherham and two others - and things didn't go too well against Rotherham did they?. Look on the bright side. At least Hurst knows and understands Divs 3 and 4 AND non-league football. Its his grasp of the Championship and players with a more highly developed sense of entitlement which looks slightly suspect at the moment.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 11:40 - Aug 17 with 1561 viewsGeoffSentence

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 11:05 - Aug 17 by ElephantintheRoom

Who DO you think will get relegated? Rotherham and two others - and things didn't go too well against Rotherham did they?. Look on the bright side. At least Hurst knows and understands Divs 3 and 4 AND non-league football. Its his grasp of the Championship and players with a more highly developed sense of entitlement which looks slightly suspect at the moment.

Dear Mr Elephant,

You seem to have missed the point. I think I was quite clear in saying that I was NOT annoyed that they had us down for relegation, that my annoyance was reserved for their sloppy reasoning.

Regards

Mr Geoff Sentence

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 12:42 - Aug 17 with 1496 viewsElephantintheRoom

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 11:40 - Aug 17 by GeoffSentence

Dear Mr Elephant,

You seem to have missed the point. I think I was quite clear in saying that I was NOT annoyed that they had us down for relegation, that my annoyance was reserved for their sloppy reasoning.

Regards

Mr Geoff Sentence

Depends how you analyse our average to bat against. You choose to include pre-history. I doubt the 4-4-2 hacks have gone back much more than 3 years. I come back to my question, Rotherham aside it's 2 from 15 and getting all three correct involves a bit of guesswork aand wishful thinking. For example before the season started I thought Norwich were much more likely to get relegated than Town, now I am not so sure. A number of Pundits have Town down for relegation. That's probably due to the sheer invisibility on highlights shows and the national press in recent years - again a drop in our batting average.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 12:55 - Aug 17 with 1461 viewsGluedtoBlue

I would suspect the 'average' is based on recent times rather than dating back to the 50s.

Since the days of our administration, with the exception of under Keane when investment and expectation increased, we haven't really had any right to EXPECT to be knocking about the playoffs.

I'd imagine that fans of about 18-20 clubs in the championship would claim to be a 'big club' who could sneak the play-offs if things fell right.

That said, I still don't think we'll go down but mid-table would be a solid season - anything else would be an over achievement.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 13:08 - Aug 17 with 1404 viewstrueblue97

Unfortunately xG suggests that we have been batting above our weight
Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 15:30 - Aug 17 with 1291 viewsOldsmoker

Silly thing that has annoyed me today on 13:08 - Aug 17 by trueblue97

Unfortunately xG suggests that we have been batting above our weight

I saw what you did there trueblue97.
I think you're saying don't use cricket and boxing terms to describe our football pedigree.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024