Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early post-match thoughts 17:02 - Aug 11 with 1670 viewsportmanking

Worried about Harrison after seeing him on the first two outings. Has reasonable pace but not enough to get beyond his man. Somewhat lightweight too, I really don't think he's a central striker in a one up top system.

So many times Ward wasted good opportunities with final passes - he's got to up this side to his game otherwise he'll drift down the leagues.

Nsiala looked handy enough and was unfortunate with that late free kick. Thought Nolan failed to stamp his mark on the game enough and almost played in 'safe mode' throughout. We never really looked like losing it, but we certainly didn't look like winning it either. Terrible set plays apart from the clever short corner.

You do wonder if the revolution rather than evolution approach may just come back to haunt us.
Early post-match thoughts on 17:05 - Aug 11 with 1566 viewsTractorWood

What about Skuse and Chabolah? Central midfield was not particularly pretty last week with Downes playing as well, there wasn't any balance.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Early post-match thoughts on 17:06 - Aug 11 with 1511 viewsHerbivore

It's a rather worrying result. It's early days but coming away from that game with nothing isn't ideal. We will need some momentum whilst new players and a new system beds in and a result like today sucks any momentum out of you. Rotherham are probably the worst side in the league and even during the transitional period you don't want to be losing there. We are a work in progress but we can't afford to be dropping too many points before things start to click.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Early post-match thoughts on 17:06 - Aug 11 with 1510 viewsportmanking

Early post-match thoughts on 17:05 - Aug 11 by TractorWood

What about Skuse and Chabolah? Central midfield was not particularly pretty last week with Downes playing as well, there wasn't any balance.

Chalobah was reasonable and I do fear for Skuse as he really struggled to play the box-to-box role for me. I think when Huws is back up to match fitness he could displace Skuse long-term.
Early post-match thoughts on 17:08 - Aug 11 with 1446 viewsportmanking

Early post-match thoughts on 17:06 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

It's a rather worrying result. It's early days but coming away from that game with nothing isn't ideal. We will need some momentum whilst new players and a new system beds in and a result like today sucks any momentum out of you. Rotherham are probably the worst side in the league and even during the transitional period you don't want to be losing there. We are a work in progress but we can't afford to be dropping too many points before things start to click.

Agree with all of what you said there.

One of the most surprising things for me was the distinct lack of tempo again. Too many times we failed to attack space or play through the lines and instead opted for the all-too-easy diagonal.
Early post-match thoughts on 17:09 - Aug 11 with 1406 viewsTractorWood

Early post-match thoughts on 17:06 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Bang on Herbmister. Everyone expects it to take time but Rotherham are inevitably in a relegation battle.

Early post-match thoughts on 17:13 - Aug 11 with 1290 viewsBlueToad

Early post-match thoughts on 17:09 - Aug 11 by TractorWood

Bang on Herbmister. Everyone expects it to take time but Rotherham are inevitably in a relegation battle.

....and so are we.

Poll: Where are we now with Lambert In vs. Out ?

Early post-match thoughts on 17:13 - Aug 11 with 1285 viewsportmanking

Early post-match thoughts on 17:09 - Aug 11 by TractorWood

Absolutely. On paper, Blackburn and Rotherham as the first two games should have been the ideal opportunity to get some early momentum, but in reality we've already gone backwards.
Early post-match thoughts on 17:13 - Aug 11 with 1280 viewsAljoBlue

while many people worry can the new signings step up to this level, the biggest concerns for me were Skuse and Chambers.

Skuse looks very off the pace and Chambers struggled on the left side of central defence.

Ward looked very good.

Out of the new signings the pick were Nolan, Nsiala, Edwards and Chalobah.

Harrison and Jackson looked too isolated - can we play both together? Ward, Edwards, Nolan and Chalobah looked easily best midfielders - can we drop Skuse?

fitness wise Chambers and Skuse looked to be off the pace.

1st half was great but we did not replicate in the 2nd half
Login to get fewer ads

Early post-match thoughts on 17:13 - Aug 11 with 1275 viewsm14_blue

Worrying to draw a blank against probably the worst team in the league.

I suspect we could miss Waghorn's set pieces every bit as much as his goals.
Early post-match thoughts on 17:17 - Aug 11 with 1208 viewsportmanking

Early post-match thoughts on 17:13 - Aug 11 by AljoBlue

while many people worry can the new signings step up to this level, the biggest concerns for me were Skuse and Chambers.

Skuse looks very off the pace and Chambers struggled on the left side of central defence.

Ward looked very good.

Harrison and Jackson looked too isolated - can we play both together? Ward, Edwards, Nolan and Chalobah looked easily best midfielders - can we drop Skuse?

Will have to agree to disagree re. Ward. Too many times he flattered to deceive IMO - working himself into good positions and either failing to attack the space or playing the wrong pass.

Skuse was definitely leggy, but who do you swap him for now? Take him out of the equation and our lack of Championship nous is exacerbated further still.

Chalobah was the pick of the new boys for me, with Edwards doing a reasonable job. Nolan was too safe for me. Didn't demand the ball enough and almost looked like he wanted to coast and get a game under his belt.
Early post-match thoughts on 17:21 - Aug 11 with 1117 viewsTractorWood

Early post-match thoughts on 17:13 - Aug 11 by AljoBlue

Ward looked very good.

Agree on Skuse and Chambers. Both approaching 33. I don't think they have full seasons in them. However, take them out and there is very little experience at this level.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2018 17:23]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024