Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
22 man squad compared to last season... 07:57 - Aug 10 with 4450 viewsBlueBoots

Beginning of last season...

Bialkowski
Gerken

Connolly
Iorfa

Knudsen
Kenlock

Webster
Smith

Chambers
Spence

Skuse
Hyam

Huws
Adeyemi

Ward
Rowe

Garner
Waghorn

McGoldrick
Dozzell

Sears
Celina

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of this transfer window...

Bialkowski
Gerken

Spence
Emmanuel

Knudsen
Kenlock

Nsiala
Woolfenden

Chambers
Donacien

Skuse
Chalobah

Huws
Dozzell

Edwards
Ward

Harrison
Jackson

Nolan
Sears

Edun
Roberts

(Downes, Nydam, Morris, Folami, Cotter, Bishop, Adeyemi & Rowe all still available too...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I think we're a centre-back (as Chambers and Nsiala will both definitely play if available, and others can cover at a push) away from a better balanced, stronger in depth (but yet to find out whether stronger in ability, with so many players making a step up) squad; mainly delighted that we're no longer relying so heavily on loanees, and these players are ours (other than Chalobah and Edun).

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:01 - Aug 10 with 4417 viewsmrshallisfit

Potentially better more exciting midfield. Weaker defence. Less prolific attack.
22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:33 - Aug 10 with 4310 viewsOsborneOneNil

22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:01 - Aug 10 by mrshallisfit

Potentially better more exciting midfield. Weaker defence. Less prolific attack.

You may find that the ‘potentially more exciting midfield’ may lead to a more prolific attack.
22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:37 - Aug 10 with 4288 viewsHerbivore

We probably won't know until December time whether the squad is better this year or not. There's some exciting players in there potentially but they're unproven at this level so we need to see how well they step up before judging.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:39 - Aug 10 with 4283 viewsElderGrizzly

At the beginning of last season, we couldn’t have imagined 2 Rangers ‘rejects’ would be as prolific as they were.

We need to create more chances and the signings this summer address that.

We’re still a striker short i believe though
22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:53 - Aug 10 with 4225 viewsxrayspecs

22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:39 - Aug 10 by ElderGrizzly

At the beginning of last season, we couldn’t have imagined 2 Rangers ‘rejects’ would be as prolific as they were.

A striker and CB short - suspect that will be sorted in the next couple of weeks.

We have a few too many midfielders so would expect some of the young uns to be loaned out - Nydam and Downes - and a few moved on - Adyemi and Rowe.
22 man squad compared to last season... on 09:00 - Aug 10 with 4198 viewsVic

The other noticeable thing with this comparison, that apart from the midfield it was difficult to see which players were likely to improve. Therefore we pretty much expected another season of same old same old.

However, this season everywhere you look in that squad there is vast scope for improvement. So, if we can hold our own for the first few weeks/months we can have good hopes that with good coaching and time this squad will improve.

The dangers of course, which PH himself acknowledged yesterday, is that those recruited from lower leagues won’t actually cope with the higher league which could leave us struggling near the bottom, with little experience and not enough quality to dig us out.

It’s a gamble, but at least we can see the potential for better things, something we haven’t really had for a few seasons.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

22 man squad compared to last season... on 09:42 - Aug 10 with 4090 viewsBlueBoots

22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:39 - Aug 10 by ElderGrizzly

Think the striker we're short of is a Garner type (experienced, streetwise - someone who can come of the bench and either hold the ball up or draw fouls to kill a game off), so was disappointed to see him move on at the last minute...

Got decent money for him though, and like my comment re: Chambers / Nsiala, would be happy with a loanee as replacement as cover for Harrison / Jackson.

22 man squad compared to last season... on 09:45 - Aug 10 with 4075 viewsBlueNomad

22 man squad compared to last season... on 09:00 - Aug 10 by Vic

The other noticeable thing with this comparison, that apart from the midfield it was difficult to see which players were likely to improve. Therefore we pretty much expected another season of same old same old.

However, this season everywhere you look in that squad there is vast scope for improvement. So, if we can hold our own for the first few weeks/months we can have good hopes that with good coaching and time this squad will improve.

The dangers of course, which PH himself acknowledged yesterday, is that those recruited from lower leagues won’t actually cope with the higher league which could leave us struggling near the bottom, with little experience and not enough quality to dig us out.

It’s a gamble, but at least we can see the potential for better things, something we haven’t really had for a few seasons.

Just hope they can click on 2 September
Login to get fewer ads

22 man squad compared to last season... on 10:33 - Aug 10 with 3991 viewschristiand

22 man squad compared to last season... on 09:42 - Aug 10 by BlueBoots

Think the striker we're short of is a Garner type (experienced, streetwise - someone who can come of the bench and either hold the ball up or draw fouls to kill a game off), so was disappointed to see him move on at the last minute...

Got decent money for him though, and like my comment re: Chambers / Nsiala, would be happy with a loanee as replacement as cover for Harrison / Jackson.

Would’ve liked a couple signed with a proven track record, we have so many players now potentially in our starting XI that have no Championship experience, too many. It’s a big gamble for me.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 10:46]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

22 man squad compared to last season... on 10:51 - Aug 10 with 3925 viewsJasper

Didn't we start last season at times playing four fullbacks, so having two fully fit centre backs will be a bonus!
22 man squad compared to last season... on 11:20 - Aug 10 with 3842 viewsCurrie10

22 man squad compared to last season... on 10:33 - Aug 10 by christiand

Would’ve liked a couple signed with a proven track record, we have so many players now potentially in our starting XI that have no Championship experience, too many. It’s a big gamble for me.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 10:46]

Same.

People expecting them to all step up, the two Accrington lads two leagues is a massive massive jump.

Interesting times indeed.
22 man squad compared to last season... on 11:27 - Aug 10 with 3828 viewsdirtyboy

I keep looking and i'm optimistic but nervous. Bishop and Huws could be really important in terms of experience at this level.

I think we know Dozzell can do it, but fitness wise these three aren't there yet and I now think we'll need them.

Definitely need a central defender with Wolfenden out for a bit. Ironically, i'd now like to see a bit of a seasoned pro for that one.
22 man squad compared to last season... on 13:36 - Aug 10 with 3693 viewsBinner

22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:53 - Aug 10 by xrayspecs

A striker and CB short - suspect that will be sorted in the next couple of weeks.

We have a few too many midfielders so would expect some of the young uns to be loaned out - Nydam and Downes - and a few moved on - Adyemi and Rowe.

Who do you see taking Adeyemi?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

22 man squad compared to last season... on 13:53 - Aug 10 with 3661 viewsSomethingBlue

Centre-back and striker needed. If (if) we can get something resembling our full set of midfield options available it will give anyone a game.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

22 man squad compared to last season... on 15:26 - Aug 10 with 3535 viewsronnyd

22 man squad compared to last season... on 11:27 - Aug 10 by dirtyboy

I keep looking and i'm optimistic but nervous. Bishop and Huws could be really important in terms of experience at this level.

I think we know Dozzell can do it, but fitness wise these three aren't there yet and I now think we'll need them.

Definitely need a central defender with Wolfenden out for a bit. Ironically, i'd now like to see a bit of a seasoned pro for that one.

Is Delaney still without a club? If so, perhaps worth a short term contract until Woolfendon is fit.
(No subject) (n/t) on 16:06 - Aug 10 with 3476 viewsronnyd

22 man squad compared to last season... on 11:27 - Aug 10 by dirtyboy

22 man squad compared to last season... on 18:36 - Aug 10 with 3336 viewsBlueBoots

22 man squad compared to last season... on 15:26 - Aug 10 by ronnyd

Is Delaney still without a club? If so, perhaps worth a short term contract until Woolfendon is fit.

Delaney joined Cork City this summer...

If we're going back to the future, Gareth McAuley and Darren Bent are both still available on free transfers...
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 21:39]

22 man squad compared to last season... on 22:09 - Aug 10 with 3153 viewsronnyd

22 man squad compared to last season... on 18:36 - Aug 10 by BlueBoots

Delaney joined Cork City this summer...

If we're going back to the future, Gareth McAuley and Darren Bent are both still available on free transfers...
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 21:39]

Sorry, I did mean Gareth McCauley as he had just left the Baggies.
22 man squad compared to last season... on 06:22 - Aug 11 with 3008 viewsmuccletonjoe

22 man squad compared to last season... on 09:00 - Aug 10 by Vic

Agree with this. We are most probably going to be at the wrong end of the table until October, hopefully not bottom 3 , because that will add unwanted pressure. By Christmas I think results and performances will improve and we could start to climb after new year.
22 man squad compared to last season... on 06:55 - Aug 11 with 2976 viewsBlueBoots

22 man squad compared to last season... on 06:22 - Aug 11 by muccletonjoe

Agree with this. We are most probably going to be at the wrong end of the table until October, hopefully not bottom 3 , because that will add unwanted pressure. By Christmas I think results and performances will improve and we could start to climb after new year.

Big 3 months coming up till the end of October - 9 away games (including the cup) and the 6 at home include a few testers...

Wouldn't be surprised if we are at the wrong end of the table - also wouldn't be surprised if PH gets the team to hit the ground running (the fact that 2 key signings already know how he likes to set up and play should help) and we counter-attack a few good away wins with all the extra pace in the squad !

Whatever happens, excited by the new approach (and this uncertainty) - the club couldn't continue treading water like it had for the past few seasons.

22 man squad compared to last season... on 08:24 - Aug 11 with 2867 viewsElderGrizzly

22 man squad compared to last season... on 13:36 - Aug 10 by Binner

Who do you see taking Adeyemi?

Medical science
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024