Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... 19:24 - Jul 5 with 1148 viewsBaltachaFanClub

Not many days go by when I don't see a crowdfund campaign, a kickstarter project or a similar styled thing "helping" someone do something...

I accept the concept was a brilliant stroke when it began, and I invested in a few projects, some good, some bad.
I have noticed in recent times however that it is no longer funds to build your revolutionary gadget, rather it is "a help me fund my life" kind of thing... a snapshot of my timeline at the moment has 3 good examples of the good/bad/ugly however you choose to see them....

Case 1:- Kickstarter - Everlasting notebook... basically a notebook cover which you swap the centre in and out of, and you buy the centres from the company, then, when full, remove them and put them on a shelf, they look aesthetically pleasing as a logged journal and a bookcase.

Case 2:- Go Fund Me -Save our Business, A friend and his partner have lived on a resort for years, working at the ski resort come hostel facility and treating it as their own, now, the owner is selling from under them and they need help buying it to keep it open as a hostel and holiday destination for ski/snowboarders alike... and keep a roof over their heads (kids too) and keep the business a business

Case 3 :- Crowfund - Help pay for a wedding, A friend of a friend is terminally ill, wants to marry her partner (and father of their kids) but cant afford it, as one child is also ill and their hospital bills etc drain all funds... please donate to help create a wedding, before its too late.

Depending on your stance, each of these has merits, and also some cons to boot.
I am not saying which I am and am not funding but it has struck me that crowfunding is becoming the beast behind society, rather than loans from banks, etc it seems more logical to online beg.

I am wondering if it is possible to do a 3 minute begging video asking for funds for a house deposit, or to help pay for my book publication, maybe to open a business... or just help me give up work.

Thoughts?

(I am not about to do a crowdfund at all, I just opened facebook and was amazed at the amount of these things)

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:32 - Jul 5 with 1127 viewsJ2BLUE

On a financial independence forum I used to read when bored at work they had a whole thread of these. There were some classics. Some people are truly shameless.

One wanted money to go on holiday to Mexico because she was a teacher and it would allow her to teach her students about it...

Loads of others wanted money for holiday

Some people wanted money to buy their kids extortionate Christmas presents

Money for people going travelling

Plenty more i've forgotten. It's a legit tool misused by people with no shame.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:35 - Jul 5 with 1111 viewsBaltachaFanClub

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:32 - Jul 5 by J2BLUE

On a financial independence forum I used to read when bored at work they had a whole thread of these. There were some classics. Some people are truly shameless.

One wanted money to go on holiday to Mexico because she was a teacher and it would allow her to teach her students about it...

Loads of others wanted money for holiday

Some people wanted money to buy their kids extortionate Christmas presents

Money for people going travelling

Plenty more i've forgotten. It's a legit tool misused by people with no shame.

This is truly shocking, I had no idea that the watershed moment I envisaged was actually in the rear-view mirror.

I wondered if the holiday fund-me would occur, and it already has.

I could do with raising cash myself, I would not ask others to help.
- please now google "Help BaltachaFanClub raise a deposit for a house, whilst also paying for a jetset lifestyle his wage cannot afford"

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:44 - Jul 5 with 1090 viewsJ2BLUE

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:35 - Jul 5 by BaltachaFanClub

This is truly shocking, I had no idea that the watershed moment I envisaged was actually in the rear-view mirror.

- please now google "Help BaltachaFanClub raise a deposit for a house, whilst also paying for a jetset lifestyle his wage cannot afford"

It takes some real front.

This is the site:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/give-m

Not sure if that's the thread I remember but it's the same thing.

Truly impaired.

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:45 - Jul 5 with 1090 viewsHARRY10

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:35 - Jul 5 by BaltachaFanClub

Nothing new, folk have been sending out begging letters for decades. Others run dodgy 'charities' and come up with all manner of ideas to scam money ..... $68m in Nigerian bank account.

Unfortunately 'Generation Thick' imagine that having new buzzwords 'crowd fund', 'start up' etc mean this is all new.

No, it is just folk new to it, and believe all they see now is 'new'.
living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 20:03 - Jul 5 with 1072 viewsJ2BLUE

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 19:45 - Jul 5 by HARRY10

Nothing new, folk have been sending out begging letters for decades. Others run dodgy 'charities' and come up with all manner of ideas to scam money ..... $68m in Nigerian bank account.

Unfortunately 'Generation Thick' imagine that having new buzzwords 'crowd fund', 'start up' etc mean this is all new.

No, it is just folk new to it, and believe all they see now is 'new'.

Are you tarring an entire generation with the same brush?

Truly impaired.

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 20:11 - Jul 5 with 1059 viewsHARRY10

living in a kickstarter kind of world, I should Crowdfund the idea.... on 20:03 - Jul 5 by J2BLUE

Are you tarring an entire generation with the same brush?

nope, just those who it applies ro
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024