Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... 10:11 - Jun 29 with 6353 viewsSlambo

...don't direct your ire at our club. In modern football, we very much live under the yoke of 'divide and conquer'; we're left pointing accusatory fingers at each other, but the fact is the system (EPPP) is specifically and deliberately designed to allow big, rich clubs to cherry pick whatever talent they choose. What's more, it's a myth that Man City will offer Knight a better footballing education: Ipswich has top facilities and an experienced team of UEFA qualified coaches; we can in fact offer youngsters a greater chance of meaningful, first team football. All City have over us are fat wads of Arab petro money to buy off the fruits of our labour. It's deplorable, and has to stop...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:14 - Jun 29 with 5083 viewsFrimleyBlue

Rules should be in league football when part of academies. U18's can't move until their 18th birthday unless both clubs sign and agree a fee which suits the home grown club, not one club taking the other to tribunal and getting fk ell from it

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:16 - Jun 29 with 5073 viewsSwansea_Blue

Or at the person who decided to leave...?

Not that I blame him. At his stage just making it to their academy probably feels like the pinnacle of his career so far, even if there may be lots more round the corner for him (or may not).

But yes, it's geared towards the big clubs hoovering up talent that they then have to put on a loan conveyor belt to give them any meaningful game time.

Good luck to him though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:20 - Jun 29 with 5051 viewsitfcjoe

He's got more chance of making it as a pro by going to man City than staying here is the reality.

We get £1m and move on - it's sad we don't get to see him but we do the same to smaller clubs and ITFC won't fold over this.

2 seasons ago we sold Charlie Brown for £650k and used that money to buy Adam Webster - we got 50 games out of him and made a £3m profit.

We just have to ensure we spend our money wisely, and keep doing the right things and move on.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:25 - Jun 29 with 5017 viewsFixed_It

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:20 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

He's got more chance of making it as a pro by going to man City than staying here is the reality.

We get £1m and move on - it's sad we don't get to see him but we do the same to smaller clubs and ITFC won't fold over this.

2 seasons ago we sold Charlie Brown for £650k and used that money to buy Adam Webster - we got 50 games out of him and made a £3m profit.

We just have to ensure we spend our money wisely, and keep doing the right things and move on.

Not sure I agree with your first sentence, Joe. Clearly he had a great chance of making it as a pro here. But otherwise, you are spot on. Regrettable, but that is what the game has become.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:30 - Jun 29 with 4978 viewsCaptainObvious

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:20 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

Why would he be less likely to make it as a pro here?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:37 - Jun 29 with 4953 viewsitfcjoe

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:25 - Jun 29 by Fixed_It

Not sure I agree with your first sentence, Joe. Clearly he had a great chance of making it as a pro here. But otherwise, you are spot on. Regrettable, but that is what the game has become.

I mean in general more boys who are at City at 16 will still be in the game at 23-24 than at ITFC in general. More branches on the way down

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:47 - Jun 29 with 4911 viewsThrobbe

I'd love to have seen him come through the ranks at Town, but if he fulfils his early promise he could make it through the Citeh system into the first team. From the talk I've heard from people with much greater insight than me he really is something special.

Even limiting transfers to 18+ year olds as suggested above wouldn't make it easier on us. We'd see the best players snatched away at a stage when they are breaking through rather than when it's still all possibilities.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:50 - Jun 29 with 4900 viewsSWGF

"it's a myth that Man City will offer Knight a better footballing education"

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:03 - Jun 29 with 4851 viewstrncbluearmy

The only reason manc bring on more from their academy is they buy in the best therefore their baseline is higher then ours,we have to take risks on boys they don`t.

It does not make them a better academy then ITFC and with someone like Knights who has obvious ability he would even make it at the scum academy.

He will make it as a full time pro in the first team at Ipswich quicker if he stayed ,but perhaps his advisers would have to wait a little longer for their money,the whole thing stinks.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 11:03]
For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:16 - Jun 29 with 4829 viewsSlambo

But possession is nine tenths of the law, Joe. Our club - and the significant majority in our position - now have no power over that which we produce. It's crass exploitation. No, Ben Knight may not go on and do anything, maybe he'll be a megastar, but the benefits to Man City are massive and the risks minuscule for a club of their wealth...

What's more, on a more abstract level, it's depriving Ipswich fans of self-esteem, memories, glory; imagine local lad Ben Knight, scouted and nurtured by his local team, progressing through the ranks and scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup final. That builds cultural capital for a club and is vital in capturing the imagination of new fans. So these mega clubs not only crush the smaller ones financially, but suck the soul out of them as well...

UPPA TOWEN!

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:21 - Jun 29 with 4799 viewsSlambo

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:25 - Jun 29 by Fixed_It

"Regrettable, but that is what the game has become".

But this is the tragedy. We as fans just roll over and accept it as something inevitable, as sure as night follows day. But the changes that created the status quo we live were brought about by individuals to secure their own selfish, vested interests. When as fans are we going to start rising up and demanding that these unfair practices are abolished..?!

UPPA TOWEN!

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:24 - Jun 29 with 4788 viewsitfcjoe

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:16 - Jun 29 by Slambo

But possession is nine tenths of the law, Joe. Our club - and the significant majority in our position - now have no power over that which we produce. It's crass exploitation. No, Ben Knight may not go on and do anything, maybe he'll be a megastar, but the benefits to Man City are massive and the risks minuscule for a club of their wealth...

What's more, on a more abstract level, it's depriving Ipswich fans of self-esteem, memories, glory; imagine local lad Ben Knight, scouted and nurtured by his local team, progressing through the ranks and scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup final. That builds cultural capital for a club and is vital in capturing the imagination of new fans. So these mega clubs not only crush the smaller ones financially, but suck the soul out of them as well...

We are getting £1m for him, and no doubt more to follow if he is a success - that’s not chump change. He’s probably in our top 15-20 biggest fees received for a player.

What about point that we took Kai Brown who at 16 was playing for Grays first team for a pre season friendly? Jack Marriott was nicked from Kettering by buying his mum a house to get around travel rules at the time, Byron Lawrence nicked from Histon.

It’s the way of the world, best to focus on what is here and wish Ben well.

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:36 - Jun 29 with 4728 viewsSlambo

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:50 - Jun 29 by SWGF

"it's a myth that Man City will offer Knight a better footballing education"

Could you just elaborate on that..? What bona fide Man City youth players - brought through their own system and not extorted from smaller ones - are currently ripping it up in England or elsewhere..?

I teach a lad who was in Norwich's (supposedly superior cat 1) academy and I asked him why he didn't just go down the road to Ipswich. His response was that he had to pay half at Norwich what he would have done at Ipswich. Norwich's grossly unfair parachute payments at the time allowed them to subsidise poaching our youngsters...

My mate worked with that Charlie Brown's dad. He said he would have much rather Charlie had stayed at Ipswich, but Chelsea were offered something like 350,000 grand for the YTS period, as well as a sweetener for the dad. That's the deposit on Charlie's first house and potential university education paid for should it all go belly up. Do not fall into the trap that the likes of Chelsea and Man City got are where they are because they're just better...

UPPA TOWEN!

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:36 - Jun 29 with 4729 viewsJ2BLUE

Lots of stick for his parents and advisors but is it justified? If we were reading about a player leaving Birmingham to go to City would we blame him? I think if we put our neutral hats on we can't blame him and perhaps some would even admit to taking the money? If I was a young footballer who had put tons of effort into making it and a club offered to set me up for life and make my parents rich while giving me the opportunity to join a massive club I would jump at it. Young players get too much stick for taking the money. I think they are quite right to take the money. It's easy for us to sit here judging while taking none of the risk. He could have broken his leg tomorrow and been out for a year.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

on 11:39 - Jun 29 with 4717 views_

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:36 - Jun 29 by J2BLUE

Lots of stick for his parents and advisors but is it justified? If we were reading about a player leaving Birmingham to go to City would we blame him? I think if we put our neutral hats on we can't blame him and perhaps some would even admit to taking the money? If I was a young footballer who had put tons of effort into making it and a club offered to set me up for life and make my parents rich while giving me the opportunity to join a massive club I would jump at it. Young players get too much stick for taking the money. I think they are quite right to take the money. It's easy for us to sit here judging while taking none of the risk. He could have broken his leg tomorrow and been out for a year.

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:42 - Jun 29 with 4699 viewsJ2BLUE

on 11:39 - Jun 29 by _

I agree, i'm just answering the criticisms of chasing the money and his parents.

Truly impaired.

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:59 - Jun 29 with 4653 viewsSlambo

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:24 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

We are getting £1m for him, and no doubt more to follow if he is a success - that’s not chump change. He’s probably in our top 15-20 biggest fees received for a player.

What about point that we took Kai Brown who at 16 was playing for Grays first team for a pre season friendly? Jack Marriott was nicked from Kettering by buying his mum a house to get around travel rules at the time, Byron Lawrence nicked from Histon.

It’s the way of the world, best to focus on what is here and wish Ben well.

Exploitation is wrong at all levels of the game and I wouldn't try and justify it if Ipswich was doing the same thing. I would say, however, that Brown and Marriott were playing amateur football. If they indeed wanted to become professional, they'd have to go to a professional set up at some point. The leap from Kettering or Grays to Ipswich is far more extreme than Man City to Ipswich. As I argued in another response, all Man City have over us is the ability to financially guarantee a future for the said player, whether or not they even make it as a pro...

Yeah, maybe we can parlay that million quid into another Adam Webster or something, but this still doesn't address my point about the non-tangible benefits. Even if by 18 Ben Knight was trotting out for us and was the hottest property in the country, being courted for 25 million quid, I'd want him to stay and win stuff for us. It's be an incalculable source of pride and esteem; if at 21 we were going nowhere and he wanted to step up, by all means. That's how it should be...

UPPA TOWEN!

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 12:07 - Jun 29 with 4625 viewsSlambo

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 11:36 - Jun 29 by J2BLUE

No no J2Blue, that was the crux of the argument I was making. I don't blame the parents at all! I blame the SYSTEM that was pushed through by rich premier league clubs allowing them to use their sizable wealth to basically buy off parents...

UPPA TOWEN!

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 13:20 - Jun 29 with 4498 viewssoupytwist

A good comparison could be Alex Henshall - left Swindon at a similar age to go to Man City. Didn’t make it at City but arguably that time at City got him a contract with us and then Kilmarnock.

Last seen at Nuneaton Town having passed through Margate and Braintree.
For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 13:35 - Jun 29 with 4454 viewsDeano69

Klug believes he is the best player he had seen at academy level.

Who knows, might end up back down here on loan

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

on 13:50 - Jun 29 with 4403 views_

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 13:20 - Jun 29 by soupytwist

A good comparison could be Alex Henshall - left Swindon at a similar age to go to Man City. Didn’t make it at City but arguably that time at City got him a contract with us and then Kilmarnock.

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 13:50 - Jun 29 with 4404 viewstcblue

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 13:20 - Jun 29 by soupytwist

Not arguable at all IMO.

Taking off the blue tinted specs for a bit, let's look at the pros for Knight to go:

- Better academy infrastructure setup (argue all you like, it is)
- Cash in case things don't work out for him and he has to drop out of football
- Sports science which is leaps and bounds better than our apparently antiquated approach
- Playing with better youth players, will progress better

Reasons to stay:

- He is more likely to start a game for us than City, if things still go okay
- Because we signed him

I'm not a parent, but if I was, I'm fairly certain I know which I would choose as best interest for my boy.
For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 13:58 - Jun 29 with 4362 viewsSuperfrans

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 10:37 - Jun 29 by itfcjoe

I mean in general more boys who are at City at 16 will still be in the game at 23-24 than at ITFC in general. More branches on the way down

Yes, more 16yos at City will make a career in the game - but that's at least partly because they can hoover up more, better players.

The question is, is one individual player more likely to have career while staying with us compared to going to Man City. Charlie Brown would almost certainly have first team experience had he stayed with us, but he went to Chelsea and is unlikely to do so for quite a while yet. In fact, the next step for him is likely to be a loan to the Championship - to get exactly the kind of experience he would already have had, had he stayed with us.

Sadly, the big attraction is significantly more money, much much earlier.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 14:06 - Jun 29 with 4348 viewsitfcjoe

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 13:58 - Jun 29 by Superfrans

Yes, more 16yos at City will make a career in the game - but that's at least partly because they can hoover up more, better players.

The question is, is one individual player more likely to have career while staying with us compared to going to Man City. Charlie Brown would almost certainly have first team experience had he stayed with us, but he went to Chelsea and is unlikely to do so for quite a while yet. In fact, the next step for him is likely to be a loan to the Championship - to get exactly the kind of experience he would already have had, had he stayed with us.

Sadly, the big attraction is significantly more money, much much earlier.

Charlie Brown was a fair way behind Ben Morris and Folami in the pecking order and those 2 have managed 1 start each in the 2 years since he left - under a caretaker manager in dead rubbers.

ITFC are doing some good work, but I really think people overestimate what we are doing and underestimate what package is on offer at big clubs

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 15:48 - Jun 29 with 4214 viewsJ2BLUE

For those of you upset about Ben Knight's departure to Man City... on 12:07 - Jun 29 by Slambo

No no J2Blue, that was the crux of the argument I was making. I don't blame the parents at all! I blame the SYSTEM that was pushed through by rich premier league clubs allowing them to use their sizable wealth to basically buy off parents...

Sorry, I should have been clearer. That wasn't aimed at you, just the general reception this deal has had.

Not sure we can blame his parents though. I'm sure his head was turned and he might have been pleading with them to let him go. Imagine being at Ipswich and then Man City come in for you offering to make you and your parents rich. Showing you the facilities available. Telling you all about their coaches, the players who would make you better and allowing you to dream of breaking into the side under Guardiola and winning the Champions League...compared to Ipswich where we've been in this division nearly two decades and look unlikely to make it out any time soon. Perhaps they got a substantial sweetener but even without it he would probably have gone.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024