Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! 09:45 - Jun 28 with 7760 viewsNazemariner

It seems that the majority feel he was overrated and injury prone, and that we are wise to cash in. Is this peoples way of softening the blow? As i can only see that we've lost a young, talented, ball playing defender, the likes of which we have not seen at our club for nigh on 20 years.

I am proper annoyed at this, and will be seriously fuming if we don't have a top notch replacement lined up.

on 09:49 - Jun 28 with 3318 views_

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 09:53 - Jun 28 with 3284 viewssouthnorfolkblue

on 09:49 - Jun 28 by _

I think that he’s a good player, but he has spent quite a lot of time injured. If it’s a case of raising some cash to allow the manager to make some changes to his squad, I would rather he sold Webster than the likes of Waghorn, who would be far harder to replace imo.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 09:56 - Jun 28 with 3264 viewsitfcjoe

Had we rejected the bid and he signed a new contract I’m sure different opinions would be voiced

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 09:58 - Jun 28 with 3257 viewsNazemariner

I have left PR having watched his better performances and thought future England international.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:00 - Jun 28 with 3240 viewsFrimleyBlue

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 09:56 - Jun 28 by itfcjoe

Had we rejected the bid and he signed a new contract I’m sure different opinions would be voiced

Thing is there's a healthy split on here between those who rate and those that don't. I've not seen much criticism on his football abilty overall but more so his injury record, which I think is fair for people to question.

This is a win win situation for town imo

He goes, succeeds, we get more money
he goes, doesn't succeed, we've got money

End of the day the potential to earn over £8Mill for a player who struggles to play half a season of games is imo a very good deal.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:01 - Jun 28 with 3229 viewsflimflam

I really rated Webster and I have no doubt he will go on to play in a mid table premiership team at some point but I guess someone had to be sacrificed to allow PH to put his mark on the team / squad.

I guess missing 50% of the last 2 seasons came into play and also that we have 2 outstanding up and coming central defenders and an even more promising one on loan.

I would say it will be easier to replace Webster than you think and no doubt this decision was taken with a lot of consideration and knowledge of what options are out there as PH seems to know what he wants and is willing to move players on to achieve his goal. I have no problems with that at all and really like the way he is going about things so far.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:03 - Jun 28 with 3217 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 09:58 - Jun 28 by Nazemariner

I have left PR having watched his better performances and thought future England international.

I think Carter Vickers illustrated he has a lot still to learn.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:08 - Jun 28 with 3201 viewsSWGF

Buying young, promising, lower league players and selling them for a profit is our strategy, and it's a good one *if* the money is reinvested.

If (and again, I stress *if*) it gives PH some sway in the transfer market to mould a team then we have to trust him.

It's very seldom the players that we, as fans, would like to offload would be the same players that other clubs would want to spend millions on. Sadly, it's the players that we think are half-decent that other clubs will think are worth buying.

You'd think that PH would have taken other opinions from those already within the Club before selling a 23yr old centre back when we're looking to progress. I'd think that his fitness over the last two seasons was a deciding factor.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:09 - Jun 28 with 3187 viewsflimflam

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:03 - Jun 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think Carter Vickers illustrated he has a lot still to learn.

CV is younger than AW and although AW is better on the ball CV is a far superior defender and would love to have him back again.

At the end of the day their main job is to defend and defend well. Being comfortable on the ball is a massive bonus and what makes good defenders great defenders but AW still has a bit to learn about the art of defending and CV needs to be more comfortable on the ball.

If you could merge those two together then that would be some player.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 10:11]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:09 - Jun 28 with 3189 viewsFrimleyBlue

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:08 - Jun 28 by SWGF

Buying young, promising, lower league players and selling them for a profit is our strategy, and it's a good one *if* the money is reinvested.

If (and again, I stress *if*) it gives PH some sway in the transfer market to mould a team then we have to trust him.

It's very seldom the players that we, as fans, would like to offload would be the same players that other clubs would want to spend millions on. Sadly, it's the players that we think are half-decent that other clubs will think are worth buying.

You'd think that PH would have taken other opinions from those already within the Club before selling a 23yr old centre back when we're looking to progress. I'd think that his fitness over the last two seasons was a deciding factor.

considering Hurst has already said and is also known for sorting business early, I imagine within the next fortnight he'd have a good 4 or 5 players in. Got to make room for them.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:10 - Jun 28 with 3185 viewsmuccletonjoe

Judged as a defender . I wasn't that impressed and I think we have a couple of youngsters at the club in Smith and Wolfenden who will be as good and very likely much better over the next couple if years.
I am convinced that Hurst just wants some funds to play on 10:14 - Jun 28 with 3156 viewsGrief

the transfer market.

He will have his own targets and though it is regrettable that Webster (a bright young thing) has moved on, £700K to £3.5- £8m represents a good bit of business.

Perhaps when Leicester offered £7m for McGoldrick we should have bitten their hands off!

he could become a star like Cresswell or alas beset by injuries like Mings.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:15 - Jun 28 with 3149 viewsNazemariner

If people believe that the sale of Webster means we will keep hold of the likes of Bart and Waghorn, then they are sadly mistaken.

Bart seems keen to leave, and understandably so. I would suggest a 4m+ bid from either a EPL or top EFL team, and he'll be gone.

Waghorn was excellent last year, and this will not of gone unnoticed by other clubs. 6m+ bid and it''l be bye bye Waggy.

Money talks, and we don't have any i'm afraid.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:17 - Jun 28 with 3134 viewsNazemariner

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:10 - Jun 28 by muccletonjoe

Judged as a defender . I wasn't that impressed and I think we have a couple of youngsters at the club in Smith and Wolfenden who will be as good and very likely much better over the next couple if years.

Really?

He won pretty much everything in the air, and most things on the ground.

If Smith and Wolfy were going to be that good then they would be have been far more involved by now.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:18 - Jun 28 with 3128 viewsNazemariner

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:09 - Jun 28 by FrimleyBlue

considering Hurst has already said and is also known for sorting business early, I imagine within the next fortnight he'd have a good 4 or 5 players in. Got to make room for them.

Make room?

15 players left the club in the close season.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:20 - Jun 28 with 3119 viewstitanicclown

I agree he is a talented player and catches the eye with his passing ability. But, he has a few issues to sort out before he can be considered serious prem material for me.

He needs to be stronger against big target men and improve his heading. He misses too many headers and of the ones he wins too many are misqueued. I remember Tarkowski a couple of seasons ago at Brentford - he was genuine prem material and Webster is some way off where he was. But could get there of course.

The team desperately need shaking up and I don't blame Hurst one bit for selling Webster who in reality is injury prone and potential rather than reliable and accomplished.

Im sure Hurst has his targets from league 1 and 2 and a hungry, rough diamond will be recruited. Personally I welcome the shake up and hope a few more follow.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:21 - Jun 28 with 3112 viewsNo9

It is good business to buy a young player who then goes on to be a 1/2 season player & you can still sell at a decent mark up. Small clubs like ITFC depend on being able to sell players to bring in new.
Not nice and a bit unprofessional but this is what the game has become, I never thought it would come to this when I was youg & despised clubs that did it but I don't see any alternative.
From where I sit Adam Webster wasn't the answer to a maidens prayer and has probably fully developed. Injury & error prone is not what I would expect an incoming manager to want in his squad.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:22 - Jun 28 with 3101 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jilted lover syndrome innit. "Feck him, he meant NOTHING to me!!! " Or something.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:24 - Jun 28 with 3089 viewsNo9

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:22 - Jun 28 by Swansea_Blue

Jilted lover syndrome innit. "Feck him, he meant NOTHING to me!!! " Or something.

In my case - Not, Swansea, I never rated him as high as most people, quite the reverse I always thought he was a hype player
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:26 - Jun 28 with 3082 viewsFixed_It

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:00 - Jun 28 by FrimleyBlue

Thing is there's a healthy split on here between those who rate and those that don't. I've not seen much criticism on his football abilty overall but more so his injury record, which I think is fair for people to question.

This is a win win situation for town imo

He goes, succeeds, we get more money
he goes, doesn't succeed, we've got money

End of the day the potential to earn over £8Mill for a player who struggles to play half a season of games is imo a very good deal.

He does seem prone to ankle injuries - had one when we first signed him, and has had a couple since then too. I'm sure the medical suggests that there isn't a problem, but it'll be interesting to see whether he can put it behind him and get a full season of football. If he does, I expect him to move on from Bristol by the end of next season.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:29 - Jun 28 with 3066 viewsGuthrum

Whereas I don't think his impact upon the team has been great enough to justify some of the lavish praise being poured out on the lad. We didn't suddenly have the ball flowing out of the back four, the defence did not become rock solid. The impression made by Carter-Vickers was much greater.

Maybe the chance to play to the full extent of his abilities was constantly denied by injury and recovery. Perhaps inexperience at this level played a part. I certainly don't think the manager was ordering him not to push forward and pass the ball - that was what he was hired for.

Yes, Webster has great potential, certainly a decent player. But after two seasons at Ipswich, potential is still all that he really has (and what Bristol have paid for).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:32 - Jun 28 with 3051 viewsmaccyd9

Isn't this ball playing thing a bit of a myth?

Can anyone really recall a moment where he looked like a rolls royce defender strutting his stuff around the pitch looking a different level to everyone else?

3 years ago he was playing right back for Pompey at times, since he signed he played 53 matches and for me didn't ever stand out. If anything CCV made the greater impression on me last season.

Yes he's a good championship level CB, yes he has potential but if Paul Hurst felt he could re-invest that money well then these sort of sales have to happen.

I could probably name 20 CB's who I'd have rather had last season from the Championship.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:34 - Jun 28 with 3037 viewsmaccyd9

Joe you commented countless times last season that he always has a mistake in him.

Let's not all pretend that Webster is now the best thing since sliced bread. He's inconsistent, injury prone and has everything to prove.
The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:35 - Jun 28 with 3034 viewsSteve_M

Or if MM was still manager.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The general opinion of Webster surprises me! on 10:35 - Jun 28 with 3031 viewsTownly

Every post forecasting our potential line up for next season had Webster firmly placed in the centre of defence.

Now posters are picking holes in him.

Considering all, including money into the coffers, his sale may turn out to be a brilliant piece of business.

It could though come back to bite us in the bum. With deductions and sell-ons and ME's share being deducted it might not amount to much money initially so it's up to Hurst to use it wisely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024