Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I love the group stages 20:27 - Jun 24 with 2865 viewsJ2BLUE

I know a lot aren't interested until the knockout stages but I love the group stage. I've never been to world cup (it's on the bucket list) so my experience is purely through the media/tv but I bloody love it.

I love seeing all the different teams. All the different fan bases. All the different colours of each country, Sadly on that front it's missing the Dutch and the Irish. I love the constant football. I love the stories of different fans drinking and celebrating together peacefully. I love seeing which African team steps up. I love seeing the national pride.

It's sad that we'll soon see countries start to go home. I want it to go on until the eve of the new season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I love the group stages on 20:29 - Jun 24 with 2852 viewsAce_High1

Miss Italy being in it as well.
I love the group stages on 20:33 - Jun 24 with 2838 viewsfactual_blue

I love the group stages on 20:29 - Jun 24 by Ace_High1

Miss Italy is in the group stages?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I love the group stages on 20:34 - Jun 24 with 2833 viewsJ2BLUE

I love the group stages on 20:29 - Jun 24 by Ace_High1

Good point. Forgot all about them.

Truly impaired.

I love the group stages on 20:35 - Jun 24 with 2831 viewsGlasgowBlue

I went to Germany with a mate in 2006. A fantastic experience.

It was spur of the moment. We were winning 2-0 in the group stages against Sweden with 5 minutes to go so I had a look at Ryanair flying from Scotland to Frankfurt, where our next game would be. Because Scotland hadn't qualified the flights were dirt cheap so I phoned my business partner and asked if he fancied going over for a couple of days.

After I booked the flights, Sweden scored two late goals so our next match was actualy in Stuttgart which is a two hour drive from Frankfurt. So I booked a car and we drove down. There were different fans wearing different colours at all the service stations. An absolutely fantastic atmosphere.

In Stuttgart we had fans dressed as Winston Churchill and Crusaders, despite the scorching heat. An experience I'll never forget.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I love the group stages on 20:37 - Jun 24 with 2821 viewsTractorWood

I love the group stages on 20:35 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

It was spur of the moment. We were winning 2-0 in the group stages against Sweden with 5 minutes to go so I had a look at Ryanair flying from Scotland to Frankfurt, where our next game would be. Because Scotland hadn't qualified the flights were dirt cheap so I phoned my business partner and asked if he fancied going over for a couple of days.

After I booked the flights, Sweden scored two late goals so our next match was actualy in Stuttgart which is a two hour drive from Frankfurt. So I booked a car and we drove down. There were different fans wearing different colours at all the service stations. An absolutely fantastic atmosphere.

In Stuttgart we had fans dressed as Winston Churchill and Crusaders, despite the scorching heat. An experience I'll never forget.

A tournament is something everyone should experience. I went to every England game at Euro 2016, despite the inevitable failure, the experiences I had are irreplaceable.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I love the group stages on 20:37 - Jun 24 with 2822 viewsAce_High1

I love the group stages on 20:35 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Its on my list to do as well.

That is why its a shame where the current awarded tournaments are being played. Not interested in visiting Russia or Qatar, so looks like a long wait for the US tournament!
on 20:39 - Jun 24 with 2803 views_

I love the group stages on 20:37 - Jun 24 by Ace_High1

Its on my list to do as well.

That is why its a shame where the current awarded tournaments are being played. Not interested in visiting Russia or Qatar, so looks like a long wait for the US tournament!

I love the group stages on 20:40 - Jun 24 with 2792 viewsJ2BLUE

on 20:39 - Jun 24 by _

Not the same but Euro 2020 is all around Europe. If i've read it right England would play at least two games at Wembley in the groups and the semis/final are at Wembley.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

on 20:41 - Jun 24 with 2787 views_

I love the group stages on 20:40 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

Not the same but Euro 2020 is all around Europe. If i've read it right England would play at least two games at Wembley in the groups and the semis/final are at Wembley.

I love the group stages on 20:41 - Jun 24 with 2788 viewsAce_High1

on 20:39 - Jun 24 by _

Crazy some of the countries picked over the last few years.

The US will be good, and like you say anywhere in Europe.

Euro 2020 will be interesting being played across Europe but as Glassers says you might lose some of the celebration and mixing of fans as the tournament is so spread out geographically across all those countries?
on 20:44 - Jun 24 with 2761 views_

I love the group stages on 20:41 - Jun 24 by Ace_High1

Crazy some of the countries picked over the last few years.

The US will be good, and like you say anywhere in Europe.

Euro 2020 will be interesting being played across Europe but as Glassers says you might lose some of the celebration and mixing of fans as the tournament is so spread out geographically across all those countries?

I love the group stages on 20:48 - Jun 24 with 2738 viewsBent_double

Great post! I'm the same, just love the atmosphere at these games, seeing all the fans from all over the world mingling and enjoying themselves.

Not sure its being done for the right reasons, but increasing it to 48 countries (whenever that is), will just make it an even better spectacle, with wall-to-wall footy night after night for a month.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

I love the group stages on 20:49 - Jun 24 with 2734 viewsJ2BLUE

on 20:44 - Jun 24 by _

Apparently there is already a confirmed bid from Uruguay—Argentina—Paraguay for 2030.

Bidding only open to OFC, AFC, CONMEBOL and UEFA nations. I would imagine Spain and Netherlands/Belgium would bid as well as they bid for 2018. Might have to wait until 2042...

Truly impaired.

I love the group stages on 20:55 - Jun 24 with 2713 viewsAce_High1

I love the group stages on 20:49 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

Apparently there is already a confirmed bid from Uruguay—Argentina—Paraguay for 2030.

Bidding only open to OFC, AFC, CONMEBOL and UEFA nations. I would imagine Spain and Netherlands/Belgium would bid as well as they bid for 2018. Might have to wait until 2042...

Yes doubt we will ever bother again to bid for it.

The only gripe I have is the timing of the earlier games which sometimes clash with work, otherwise I agree with you its great to watch all the games and teams.
I love the group stages on 20:59 - Jun 24 with 2699 viewsjeera

I love the group stages on 20:33 - Jun 24 by factual_blue

Miss Italy is in the group stages?

League of her own?

http://th.tvblog.it/g-d6MQBeC8-hKS2eYMagRQIq8j8=/fit-in/655x437/

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I love the group stages on 21:00 - Jun 24 with 2693 viewsJ2BLUE

I love the group stages on 20:59 - Jun 24 by jeera

League of her own?

Is that the best they can do?

Truly impaired.

I love the group stages on 21:21 - Jun 24 with 2650 viewsjeera

I love the group stages on 21:00 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

Is that the best they can do?

Maybe it's a lighting issue and there's a better shot of her elsewhere.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I love the group stages on 22:12 - Jun 24 with 2580 viewsSarge

This. I prefer the group stage, constant football and all teams involved.
I love the group stages on 22:20 - Jun 24 with 2563 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Fully agree with this post. There's an enjoyable near-sense of chaos about the group stage, so much action involving so many teams with so many ramifications. Plus it's not all about the winning - there are nations who are just absolutely loving being there and bringing that energy to the party. Just look at how Panama celebrated their goal today, even though they were 6-1 down. Too easy for countries like England to get lost in the obsession with winning it, compared with those who love the chance to play in it.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 22:21]
I love the group stages on 08:07 - Jun 25 with 2355 viewsReuser_is_God

This World Cup has been outstanding so far.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I love the group stages on 08:13 - Jun 25 with 2341 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

I love the group stages on 08:07 - Jun 25 by Reuser_is_God

This World Cup has been outstanding so far.

Agreed, even the utter crap teams like Poland have had a try
I love the group stages on 08:15 - Jun 25 with 2339 viewsKeno

I love the group stages on 20:59 - Jun 24 by jeera

League of her own?

she ok I suppose but she's no Penny Smith

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024