Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best thing about this tournament 13:50 - Jun 24 with 3730 viewsLord_Lucan

is the lovely shade of blue of our shorts.

I really like them.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The best thing about this tournament on 14:05 - Jun 24 with 3085 viewsGlasgowBlue

I've never understood why we have Navy Blue shorts. The colour of our flag is white witha red cross. I prefer all white with a bit of red.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The best thing about this tournament on 14:13 - Jun 24 with 3071 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The best thing about this tournament on 14:05 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

I've never understood why we have Navy Blue shorts. The colour of our flag is white witha red cross. I prefer all white with a bit of red.

Most teams don’t wear the same colour as their flag though?

I’m with Lucan, really like those shorts

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The best thing about this tournament on 14:19 - Jun 24 with 3053 viewsGlasgowBlue

The best thing about this tournament on 14:13 - Jun 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Most teams don’t wear the same colour as their flag though?

I’m with Lucan, really like those shorts

I'll disagree and say most do. I stand to be corrected of course but off the top of my head Poland are in red and white, the Argies have their shirt the same as their flag, the french wear a combination of blue, red and white, Portugal red, geen and yellow, Saudi green and white etc etc.

Iron Lion Zion

The best thing about this tournament on 14:21 - Jun 24 with 3043 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The best thing about this tournament on 14:19 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

I'll disagree and say most do. I stand to be corrected of course but off the top of my head Poland are in red and white, the Argies have their shirt the same as their flag, the french wear a combination of blue, red and white, Portugal red, geen and yellow, Saudi green and white etc etc.

I was probably thinking more of the predominant colour

So Brazil would be green, Spain yellow etc. Then the likes of Italy and Netherlands who’s colours are completely different

But yeah, on reflection most is probably an exaggeration

The best thing about this tournament on 14:22 - Jun 24 with 3043 viewsLord_Lucan

The best thing about this tournament on 14:19 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

I kind of agree.

I like a red shirt with white shorts, or even all white with red piping.

Those blue shorts are nice though, I have a silky shirt the same colour.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 14:22]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The best thing about this tournament on 14:29 - Jun 24 with 3012 viewsGlasgowBlue

The best thing about this tournament on 14:21 - Jun 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So Brazil would be green, Spain yellow etc. Then the likes of Italy and Netherlands who’s colours are completely different

And of course Croatia ususualy have the chequers on the shirt. Even Germany, who don't have their flag colour kit had the flag colours on the shirt in the past.

We tend to shy away from the flag of St George.

Iron Lion Zion

The best thing about this tournament on 14:30 - Jun 24 with 3009 viewsKeno

The best thing about this tournament on 14:21 - Jun 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Norwich play in the colours that best suit then

Green for envy
Yellow for having the p1ss taken out of them

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The best thing about this tournament on 14:31 - Jun 24 with 3008 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The best thing about this tournament on 14:29 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

And of course Croatia ususualy have the chequers on the shirt. Even Germany, who don't have their flag colour kit had the flag colours on the shirt in the past.

We tend to shy away from the flag of St George.

Surely having a white shirt with red lettering is as much keeping to the flag as that Germany example, if not more so given their predominant colour isn’t even on their flag?

Not sure I see the issue personally but each to their own!

Login to get fewer ads

The best thing about this tournament on 16:37 - Jun 24 with 2927 viewsPhilTWTD

The best thing about this tournament on 14:05 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Next Brexiteer demand after blue passports presumably! The St George's flag as a widespread England football thing has been a relatively recent development, England fans used to largely wave the Union Flag, see the 1966 World Cup final below. England shorts have always been blue, it seems: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/england/england-1872-1960.html

This post has been edited by an administrator
The best thing about this tournament on 17:13 - Jun 24 with 2854 viewsGlasgowBlue

The best thing about this tournament on 16:37 - Jun 24 by PhilTWTD

Next Brexiteer demand after blue passports presumably! The St George's flag as a widespread England football thing has been a relatively recent development, England fans used to largely wave the Union Flag, see the 1966 World Cup final below. England shorts have always been blue, it seems: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/england/england-1872-1960.html

This post has been edited by an administrator

Euro 96 wasn't it?

The other leftover from those days is the National Anthem. The Jocks now sing Flower of Scotland, the Welsh sing Men of Harlech or some such song.

We really do seem to lack a national identity away from being British which our Scottish and Welsh brothers/ sisters don't.

Iron Lion Zion

on 17:22 - Jun 24 with 2836 views_

The best thing about this tournament on 17:13 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Euro 96 wasn't it?

The other leftover from those days is the National Anthem. The Jocks now sing Flower of Scotland, the Welsh sing Men of Harlech or some such song.

We really do seem to lack a national identity away from being British which our Scottish and Welsh brothers/ sisters don't.

The best thing about this tournament on 17:32 - Jun 24 with 2829 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 17:22 - Jun 24 by _

Living in Scotland I have a real understanding of it. They are Scottish first and foremost. Silly little things like an X Factor contestant from Scotland will get the Jocks voting en masse regardless of their talent. Just because they are Scottish.

A jock contestant will say they are doing Scotland proud. An English contetstant will say they are doing (insert town/city) proud.

Another example would be a bloke from London recues a kiddie from drwoning/ a bloke from Glasgow saves a kiddie from drowning. Headline on the front page of the paper in England will be "Hero Brit saves kiddie from drowning". Headline in the paper up her will be "Hero Scot saves kiddie from drowning".

Loads of stuff that is so different up here compared to when I lived down south that is noticable that they have a better understanding of a national identity.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 17:33]

Iron Lion Zion

on 17:41 - Jun 24 with 2825 views_

The best thing about this tournament on 17:32 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Living in Scotland I have a real understanding of it. They are Scottish first and foremost. Silly little things like an X Factor contestant from Scotland will get the Jocks voting en masse regardless of their talent. Just because they are Scottish.

A jock contestant will say they are doing Scotland proud. An English contetstant will say they are doing (insert town/city) proud.

Another example would be a bloke from London recues a kiddie from drwoning/ a bloke from Glasgow saves a kiddie from drowning. Headline on the front page of the paper in England will be "Hero Brit saves kiddie from drowning". Headline in the paper up her will be "Hero Scot saves kiddie from drowning".

Loads of stuff that is so different up here compared to when I lived down south that is noticable that they have a better understanding of a national identity.

The best thing about this tournament on 17:45 - Jun 24 with 2821 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 17:41 - Jun 24 by _

You can buy it or not. I lived in England for thirty years and Scotland for twenty and I can assure you that the Scots have a better undertasnding of national identity in a way that the Englsih don't. I don't know a single Scot who would ever say they are embarassed to be Scottish. I can't say that for the English.

Iron Lion Zion

on 17:49 - Jun 24 with 2818 views_

The best thing about this tournament on 17:45 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

You can buy it or not. I lived in England for thirty years and Scotland for twenty and I can assure you that the Scots have a better undertasnding of national identity in a way that the Englsih don't. I don't know a single Scot who would ever say they are embarassed to be Scottish. I can't say that for the English.

The best thing about this tournament on 17:52 - Jun 24 with 2812 viewsPhilTWTD

The best thing about this tournament on 17:13 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Euro 96 wasn't it?

Think it was starting to become more common from 82 onwards.
The best thing about this tournament on 17:53 - Jun 24 with 2808 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 17:49 - Jun 24 by _

It realtes inasmuch as for a long time, any sort of pride in being English tended to be frowned upon. I don;t know if it was because the National Front tried to apropriate the flag. But there was definately that feeling in the past.

Englsih people showing pride in their nationality was frowned upon whereas with the Scots or the Irish it was celebrated. I think that is whay there is that lack of identity. Of course you could be right with the land mass.

Iron Lion Zion

The best thing about this tournament on 17:56 - Jun 24 with 2803 viewsBackToRussia

The best thing about this tournament on 17:53 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

It realtes inasmuch as for a long time, any sort of pride in being English tended to be frowned upon. I don;t know if it was because the National Front tried to apropriate the flag. But there was definately that feeling in the past.

Englsih people showing pride in their nationality was frowned upon whereas with the Scots or the Irish it was celebrated. I think that is whay there is that lack of identity. Of course you could be right with the land mass.

Scottish nationality is almost entirely predicated on English oppression and hatred of the English. If not, it's to show that they're not in our shadow. English nationality used to exist to a huge degree. You only have to look at the nationalism shown in WW1 and 2. But it died off for good reasons - America superseded us and we haven't really had a defined place or role internationally since.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

on 17:58 - Jun 24 with 2797 views_

The best thing about this tournament on 17:53 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

The best thing about this tournament on 18:01 - Jun 24 with 2794 viewsGlasgowBlue

The best thing about this tournament on 17:56 - Jun 24 by BackToRussia

Scottish nationality is almost entirely predicated on English oppression and hatred of the English. If not, it's to show that they're not in our shadow. English nationality used to exist to a huge degree. You only have to look at the nationalism shown in WW1 and 2. But it died off for good reasons - America superseded us and we haven't really had a defined place or role internationally since.

Hatred of the English? I have been walking around the Fort shopping centre this afternoon wearing my England shirt and got nothing but comments of well done and thumbs up.

You'd better get up here sharpish and tell the locals they should have battered me.

Iron Lion Zion

The best thing about this tournament on 18:05 - Jun 24 with 2786 viewsBackToRussia

The best thing about this tournament on 18:01 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Hatred of the English? I have been walking around the Fort shopping centre this afternoon wearing my England shirt and got nothing but comments of well done and thumbs up.

You'd better get up here sharpish and tell the locals they should have battered me.

Yes I'm sure not all of the population hate the English. Let's not do a Dolly and argue over the sky being blue however.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The best thing about this tournament on 18:21 - Jun 24 with 2768 viewsGlasgowBlue

The best thing about this tournament on 18:05 - Jun 24 by BackToRussia

Yes I'm sure not all of the population hate the English. Let's not do a Dolly and argue over the sky being blue however.

I'm disagreeing with your view that Scottish nationality is almost entirely predicated on English oppression and hatred of the English. My experience it is to do with the love of Scotland.

That's where a lot of our hoolies go wrong. They seem to think that to prove you love England you have to hate other nationalities.

Iron Lion Zion

on 19:21 - Jun 24 with 2711 views_

The best thing about this tournament on 18:21 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

I'm disagreeing with your view that Scottish nationality is almost entirely predicated on English oppression and hatred of the English. My experience it is to do with the love of Scotland.

That's where a lot of our hoolies go wrong. They seem to think that to prove you love England you have to hate other nationalities.

The best thing about this tournament on 19:24 - Jun 24 with 2703 viewsimsureazzure

The best thing about this tournament on 17:32 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

This is true, when working and living in Scotland it is really noticeable, the Royal Scottish legion for example.
The best thing about this tournament on 19:28 - Jun 24 with 2698 viewsimsureazzure

The best thing about this tournament on 18:01 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

I lodged in Wick for a while, the hatred of the English was deep and widespread.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024