Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This sounds promising for Turkey 08:53 - Jun 24 with 2994 viewsStokieBlue

Have to say the build-up of Ince in Turkey has totally passed me by. Sounds like he has a real chance of causing a stir in the second round of elections:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/24/turkey-elections-muharrem-ince-thr

Important thing here is he is lead of the CHP secular party, a path Turkey has historically followed for the better.

“We will embrace everyone,” he said, as supporters in festive mood sang anthems and waved red-and-white Turkish flags. “Turkey’s hopes will be revived. This is going to be a united Turkey.”

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This sounds promising for Turkey on 09:05 - Jun 24 with 2946 viewsPinewoodblue

This sort of news rarely gets a mention by the UK nor US media. Think I will have to go back to catching world news on Al Jazierra.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This sounds promising for Turkey on 09:14 - Jun 24 with 2928 viewsm14_blue

There is cautious, but genuine, optimism in the air in Istanbul that Erdogan may have met his match.

It's a huge watershed for an incredible country. Victory for Erdogan would see Turkey continue to move away from a secular society and the West and ever further towards an Islamic dictatorship.

Ince has run a fantastic campaign and galvanised the opposition which had been largely disheartened following an extremely narrow defeat in the referendum last year.

Fck Erdogan.
This sounds promising for Turkey on 09:27 - Jun 24 with 2901 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Was there a few weeks ago and word on the street(!) was that people have had enough of Erdogan but that he could still bribe his way (washing machines, pension bonuses and buckets of coal (!)) to victory in his heartland. Vast swathes of the country have never backed him and most recently he lost both major cities (Istanbul
and Ankara) If he loses he won't go quietly!l

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This sounds promising for Turkey on 09:34 - Jun 24 with 2871 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Needs to be a free and fair election. I don’t trust Erdogan not to rig it.
This sounds promising for Turkey on 09:44 - Jun 24 with 2834 viewsBorisOrTrevor

This sounds promising for Turkey on 09:34 - Jun 24 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Needs to be a free and fair election. I don’t trust Erdogan not to rig it.

He will just change the rules if it looks like he is in trouble/ probably come up with a fake coup attempt or something similar.

BOT

This sounds promising for Turkey on 11:25 - Jun 24 with 2744 viewsstringy

This sounds promising for Turkey on 09:27 - Jun 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Was there a few weeks ago and word on the street(!) was that people have had enough of Erdogan but that he could still bribe his way (washing machines, pension bonuses and buckets of coal (!)) to victory in his heartland. Vast swathes of the country have never backed him and most recently he lost both major cities (Istanbul
and Ankara) If he loses he won't go quietly!l

very much hope for change; worked in Turkey (mainly summer research) for much of past two decades and place got very grim; I dare not even ask my Turkish colleagues how they feel / how they are doing by email or Facebook as I fear their communications are being watched.

Nice avatar by the way (BanksterDebtSlave) - saw the exhibition, saw the band three times (including Stowmarket) and interviewed them at Dial House back in the day
This sounds promising for Turkey on 11:50 - Jun 24 with 2703 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This sounds promising for Turkey on 11:25 - Jun 24 by stringy

very much hope for change; worked in Turkey (mainly summer research) for much of past two decades and place got very grim; I dare not even ask my Turkish colleagues how they feel / how they are doing by email or Facebook as I fear their communications are being watched.

Nice avatar by the way (BanksterDebtSlave) - saw the exhibition, saw the band three times (including Stowmarket) and interviewed them at Dial House back in the day

The exhibition was a real trip down memory lane! The American president installation was great in an appalling way!
Viva Y.P.G.!!

This sounds promising for Turkey on 11:54 - Jun 24 with 2690 viewsTrequartista

Thought he had finally settled at Huddersfield but no he is off again

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

This sounds promising for Turkey on 12:57 - Jun 24 with 2626 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This sounds promising for Turkey on 11:54 - Jun 24 by Trequartista

Thought he had finally settled at Huddersfield but no he is off again

Nobody 'settles' in Huddersfield!

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:25 - Jun 24 with 2511 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sadly not.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:28 - Jun 24 with 2508 viewsm14_blue

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:25 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Sadly not.

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:31 - Jun 24 with 2501 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:28 - Jun 24 by m14_blue

49s ago19:28

Things could take an unpleasant turn here.

The leading opposition candidate, Muharrem Ince, has tweeted to say that according to the official electoral board, only 37% of the vote has been counted — while the official Anadolu Agency is reporting that 85% have been opened.

He asks all observers not to leave the polling stations until counting is fully complete.

Guardian live

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:37 - Jun 24 with 2488 viewsm14_blue

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:31 - Jun 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

The leading opposition candidate, Muharrem Ince, has tweeted to say that according to the official electoral board, only 37% of the vote has been counted — while the official Anadolu Agency is reporting that 85% have been opened.

He asks all observers not to leave the polling stations until counting is fully complete.

Guardian live

Quelle surprise
This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:41 - Jun 24 with 2484 viewsGlasgowBlue

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:31 - Jun 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Guardian live

Erdogan has no doubt brought in the same people to run his election as Putin did a few months ago.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:47 - Jun 24 with 2477 viewsm14_blue

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:41 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

Erdogan has no doubt brought in the same people to run his election as Putin did a few months ago.

Speaking to people over there and there is huge confusion.

State run agency now saying 90% counted but official monitors saying 37%.
This sounds promising for Turkey on 20:20 - Jun 24 with 2450 viewsBorisOrTrevor

This sounds promising for Turkey on 19:41 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

There is no doubting that Putin wins comfortably, even by his harshest critics.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 20:24]

BOT

This sounds promising for Turkey on 20:52 - Jun 24 with 2405 viewsWeWereZombies

This sounds promising for Turkey on 20:20 - Jun 24 by BorisOrTrevor

There is no doubting that Putin wins comfortably, even by his harshest critics.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 20:24]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024