Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do people make of this? 08:01 - Jun 24 with 7071 viewsHerbivore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44588939

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What do people make of this? on 08:31 - Jun 24 with 5022 viewsDanTheMan

Don't agree with it. I'd have some sympathy if it was an actual Nazi or something but this will just feed into the "we're being persecuted" angle.

Although it'll be fun to see the arguments swap for a bit.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What do people make of this? on 08:38 - Jun 24 with 4949 viewsGlasgowBlue

It’s a slippery slope. However the owner has the right to refuse to serve whomever they please.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What do people make of this? on 08:40 - Jun 24 with 4961 viewsStokieBlue

Disagree with it entirely.

Protests like that can be made at the right time and place and even at the ballot box. Regardless of ones political leanings they should be allowed to eat where they like as paying customers.

The way the restaurant acted doesn't seem too dissimilar to the way they are angry about her acting.

If you take it to a huge extreme what if a doctor refuses to treat someone because of their political views and they die?

SB
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 8:41]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

What do people make of this? on 08:45 - Jun 24 with 4993 viewsHerbivore

What do people make of this? on 08:31 - Jun 24 by DanTheMan

Don't agree with it. I'd have some sympathy if it was an actual Nazi or something but this will just feed into the "we're being persecuted" angle.

Although it'll be fun to see the arguments swap for a bit.

I'm a bit torn on it. I can see where they are coming from, the owner asked her staff and they clearly didn't feel comfortable serving her. Whilst she's not an actual Nazi she is associated with a President who has refused to condemn white supremacism, who until very recently supported separating children from their parents at the border causing untold damage, and who has made a number of false and bigoted claims about immigrants and about other races and religions elsewhere in the world. I think ethically it is fine to be against those things and to not want your establishment associated with people who support those views.

In the same article it references a baker winning a case whereby he could refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. The likes of Sanders are in support of such things, they want Christians to be able to discriminate if something is against their religion and to be protected by law. Now, discriminating against someone because they are gay - something they have no choice about - is for me far worse than refusing to serve someone because of their chosen views and actions. So I really don't think Sanders and her supporters can complain about this, either people can refuse to offer a service for reasons of conscience or they can't. They can't have it both ways.

That said, overall I don't think it's that helpful as it just provides ammunition for the alt right and it further increases polarisation. I think there are times to actively fight against abhorrent views and actions. However, I think this was a time to rise above it and serve her, whilst possibly taking a cheeky piss in her clam chowder.

What do people make of this? on 08:49 - Jun 24 with 4934 viewsStokieBlue

What do people make of this? on 08:45 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

I'm a bit torn on it. I can see where they are coming from, the owner asked her staff and they clearly didn't feel comfortable serving her. Whilst she's not an actual Nazi she is associated with a President who has refused to condemn white supremacism, who until very recently supported separating children from their parents at the border causing untold damage, and who has made a number of false and bigoted claims about immigrants and about other races and religions elsewhere in the world. I think ethically it is fine to be against those things and to not want your establishment associated with people who support those views.

In the same article it references a baker winning a case whereby he could refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. The likes of Sanders are in support of such things, they want Christians to be able to discriminate if something is against their religion and to be protected by law. Now, discriminating against someone because they are gay - something they have no choice about - is for me far worse than refusing to serve someone because of their chosen views and actions. So I really don't think Sanders and her supporters can complain about this, either people can refuse to offer a service for reasons of conscience or they can't. They can't have it both ways.

That said, overall I don't think it's that helpful as it just provides ammunition for the alt right and it further increases polarisation. I think there are times to actively fight against abhorrent views and actions. However, I think this was a time to rise above it and serve her, whilst possibly taking a cheeky piss in her clam chowder.

Some good points in there.

This will only lead to further polarisation of the country though (as can be seen in the article where it says loads of 1 and 5 star reviews have appeared).

SB

What do people make of this? on 08:51 - Jun 24 with 4978 viewsHerbivore

What do people make of this? on 08:40 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Disagree with it entirely.

Protests like that can be made at the right time and place and even at the ballot box. Regardless of ones political leanings they should be allowed to eat where they like as paying customers.

The way the restaurant acted doesn't seem too dissimilar to the way they are angry about her acting.

If you take it to a huge extreme what if a doctor refuses to treat someone because of their political views and they die?

SB
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 8:41]

No doctor would allow a patient to die because of their political views. Come on, Stokie, taking things to such a ridiculous extreme isn't helpful. She was refused service in a restaurant, nobody will die as a result. But if we are going to go to extremes, do you think that if Trump turned up to a restaurant in El Paso run by first generation Mexican immigrants that they should have to serve him as a paying customer? What is Goebbles had rocked up to a kosher restaurant in 1935, should he have been given service as a paying customer?

I agree there's a time and place to make a stand, and this probably wasn't it, but people need to be able to take a stand against abhorrent views and actions. She's not part of a benign regime that just happens to be a bit conservative, some of the things they've been associated with are utterly unacceptable. I think people should have the right to peacefully take a stand against such views and actions in their own way, though in this particular instance I'm not sure how helpful it is.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 8:53]

What do people make of this? on 09:01 - Jun 24 with 4913 viewsStokieBlue

What do people make of this? on 08:51 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

No doctor would allow a patient to die because of their political views. Come on, Stokie, taking things to such a ridiculous extreme isn't helpful. She was refused service in a restaurant, nobody will die as a result. But if we are going to go to extremes, do you think that if Trump turned up to a restaurant in El Paso run by first generation Mexican immigrants that they should have to serve him as a paying customer? What is Goebbles had rocked up to a kosher restaurant in 1935, should he have been given service as a paying customer?

I agree there's a time and place to make a stand, and this probably wasn't it, but people need to be able to take a stand against abhorrent views and actions. She's not part of a benign regime that just happens to be a bit conservative, some of the things they've been associated with are utterly unacceptable. I think people should have the right to peacefully take a stand against such views and actions in their own way, though in this particular instance I'm not sure how helpful it is.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 8:53]

Agreed it was perhaps a silly extreme but one of the best ways to highlight something is to take it to a ridiculous extreme. Your Goebbles example is as about extreme as you can get for that type of restaurant. You are also talking about the main man in both your examples rather than people who work for them.

She has the right to protest of course and she should in a proper fashion. What she has done here isn't really a protest though, it's points scoring which has given loads of publicity to her restaurant and created further polarisation within the country (as the article shows).

It's incredibly unhelpful for anyone actually trying to hold Trump to account and unite a fractured nation.

SB

What do people make of this? on 09:13 - Jun 24 with 4938 viewsPinewoodblue

What do people make of this? on 09:01 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Agreed it was perhaps a silly extreme but one of the best ways to highlight something is to take it to a ridiculous extreme. Your Goebbles example is as about extreme as you can get for that type of restaurant. You are also talking about the main man in both your examples rather than people who work for them.

She has the right to protest of course and she should in a proper fashion. What she has done here isn't really a protest though, it's points scoring which has given loads of publicity to her restaurant and created further polarisation within the country (as the article shows).

It's incredibly unhelpful for anyone actually trying to hold Trump to account and unite a fractured nation.

SB

I thought this only became public when Saunderstweeted.

The US has never been more polarised than it is now, not since the civil war There
will be those who visit this restaurant because of this story and those who regularly ate there staying away. It is how the US is.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

What do people make of this? on 09:16 - Jun 24 with 4936 viewsWD19

It is not right and probably illegal. As we have seen previously, refusing custom from people whose behaviour you don't agree with can get you in hot water.

But mostly it is just slow news day nonsense.
What do people make of this? on 09:19 - Jun 24 with 4930 viewsm14_blue

It's a silly thing to do and an absolute gift to Trump and his supporters.
What do people make of this? on 09:27 - Jun 24 with 4919 viewstcblue

What do people make of this? on 09:01 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

SB

It was Huckabee wossname who broke this news (via her Twitter).

What protest does a restaurateur have, outside of refusing service?
What do people make of this? on 09:31 - Jun 24 with 4864 viewsStokieBlue

What do people make of this? on 09:27 - Jun 24 by tcblue

It was Huckabee wossname who broke this news (via her Twitter).

What protest does a restaurateur have, outside of refusing service?

Fair enough, although that was always going to happen once she had been refused service.

The same means as every other person in society? This is an incredibly slippery slope to be taking, we don't want to get to a stage where even shopping and eating are segregated along political leaning.

SB

What do people make of this? on 09:38 - Jun 24 with 4900 viewsimsureazzure

What do people make of this? on 08:38 - Jun 24 by GlasgowBlue

It’s a slippery slope. However the owner has the right to refuse to serve whomever they please.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43955734

Doesn't seem that way.
What do people make of this? on 09:39 - Jun 24 with 4847 viewslowhouseblue

why did they need to make a fuss? couldn't they have just spat in her soup like every other restaurant is washington is probably doing?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

What do people make of this? on 12:24 - Jun 24 with 4784 viewsBorisOrTrevor

What do people make of this? on 08:45 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

You only care about bigotry when it suits your agenda. Typical liberal.

BOT

What do people make of this? on 12:39 - Jun 24 with 4761 viewsDarth_Koont

I like it.

I accept that it'll be interpreted as petty but I think that normalizing an administration that is pretty extremist in its outlook and core support is far, far worse. More of this ground-level and non-violent resistance.

Pronouns: He/Him

What do people make of this? on 12:43 - Jun 24 with 4749 viewsDarth_Koont

What do people make of this? on 12:24 - Jun 24 by BorisOrTrevor

It's not bigotry but anyway ... I don't think you see the irony in your post.

What do people make of this? on 13:31 - Jun 24 with 4681 viewsBorisOrTrevor

What do people make of this? on 12:43 - Jun 24 by Darth_Koont

It's not bigotry but anyway ... I don't think you see the irony in your post.

Still playing rugby?! Your post way back then still tickles me.

What I said in my post was a fact, perhaps answer it directly rather than deviate into nonsense.

BOT

What do people make of this? on 13:33 - Jun 24 with 4672 viewsDarth_Koont

What do people make of this? on 13:31 - Jun 24 by BorisOrTrevor

Still playing rugby?! Your post way back then still tickles me.

What I said in my post was a fact, perhaps answer it directly rather than deviate into nonsense.

Haha. Righto, weirdo.

What do people make of this? on 13:42 - Jun 24 with 4646 viewsHerbivore

What do people make of this? on 12:24 - Jun 24 by BorisOrTrevor

Lolz.

What do people make of this? on 14:08 - Jun 24 with 4598 viewsjeera

What do people make of this? on 09:39 - Jun 24 by lowhouseblue

why did they need to make a fuss? couldn't they have just spat in her soup like every other restaurant is washington is probably doing?

Ew. Hadn't considered that.

I think I'd rather be asked to leave.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What do people make of this? on 14:11 - Jun 24 with 4586 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't like it but I do believe businesses should be able to decide who they serve.

Before the inevitable question, yes, even in cases like the cake for a gay wedding. They should be able to decide, knowing the consequences of their actions will be word spread and people deciding if they want to go on supporting that business.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What do people make of this? on 20:56 - Jun 24 with 4459 viewssparks

What do people make of this? on 14:11 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

I don't like it but I do believe businesses should be able to decide who they serve.

Before the inevitable question, yes, even in cases like the cake for a gay wedding. They should be able to decide, knowing the consequences of their actions will be word spread and people deciding if they want to go on supporting that business.

I think you are wrong. Society should say that people cannot have a whites only restaurant.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

What do people make of this? on 21:13 - Jun 24 with 4439 viewstcblue

There's a worrying equivalency being stretched here - perhaps I'm imagining it, I hope so - between refusing service on an individual's political stance basis and one based on race or sexuality.

Clearly they are not the same thing. I'm sure there are gator shacks out in the bayou who wouldn't host Bernie Sanders.
What do people make of this? on 21:24 - Jun 24 with 4426 viewsHerbivore

What do people make of this? on 21:13 - Jun 24 by tcblue

There's a worrying equivalency being stretched here - perhaps I'm imagining it, I hope so - between refusing service on an individual's political stance basis and one based on race or sexuality.

Clearly they are not the same thing. I'm sure there are gator shacks out in the bayou who wouldn't host Bernie Sanders.

The first paragraph is spot on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024