Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another store closes 14:09 - Jun 22 with 6335 views12th_Man

http://news.sky.com/story/house-of-fraser-to-close-31-stores-with-6000-job-losse

Poll: Would you like ITFC to sign Colchester's Kane Vincent-Young

Another store closes on 14:10 - Jun 22 with 3776 viewsSpruceMoose

Did you ever go in the Ipswich one? Lovely cafe in there. Did a beautiful cream horn.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Another store closes on 14:11 - Jun 22 with 3768 viewsStokieBlue

I used to quite like House of Fraser.

Unfortunately it's doubtful there will be many stores in 20 years. Online is just easier, especially with the returns policies.

Probably not good for the environment with all the deliveries though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Another store closes on 14:13 - Jun 22 with 3760 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 14:11 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

Unfortunately it's doubtful there will be many stores in 20 years. Online is just easier, especially with the returns policies.

SB

Town centres in smaller towns are really going to have to head more towards being leisure and housing zones rather than retail.

Otherwise town centres are going to be ghost towns of bookies interspersed with the odd Whetherspoons.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

You have to see this to understand the rise of the web and AUTOMATION.. on 14:13 - Jun 22 with 3759 viewsunstableblue

... that will eventually destroy much of the high street and retail sector...

Algorithms, plus computing, plus robotics.... big impacts

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Another store closes on 14:42 - Jun 22 with 3713 viewsfooters

SB

Tracking a parcel the other day I did notice that it had travelled from south east London to Birmingham, before moving onto a facility in Watford and finally arriving at my place in Finsbury Park three days later.

I realise logistics is a complex business, but DPD have a lot to answer for!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Another store closes on 14:42 - Jun 22 with 3709 viewsfooters

Another store closes on 14:13 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

Town centres in smaller towns are really going to have to head more towards being leisure and housing zones rather than retail.

Otherwise town centres are going to be ghost towns of bookies interspersed with the odd Whetherspoons.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

Another store closes on 14:55 - Jun 22 with 3689 viewsNo9

SB

Deliveries are a nightmare in rural areas - white van man is no respecter of others

Junk that arrives & can't be returned easily pi$$es me off no end, electrical stuff is a major issue
Another store closes on 14:57 - Jun 22 with 3682 viewsNo9

Another store closes on 14:13 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

The number of pubs, restaurants, clubs et al closing down indicates this is more than an online issue.
Login to get fewer ads

Another store closes on 15:02 - Jun 22 with 3669 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 14:57 - Jun 22 by No9

The number of pubs, restaurants, clubs et al closing down indicates this is more than an online issue.

That's true. Oh well. I guess we can look forward to bombed out centres of towns all over the UK. Might has well stick the rubbish tip there, make it convenient.

Another store closes on 15:03 - Jun 22 with 3670 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I wonder how much of this is down to people, like one prick I have to work with, who tries on clothes/ shoes in store to see if they fit well, then goes home and finds the best deal online.
You’ve got to be one tight c-unit to do that.
Another store closes on 15:05 - Jun 22 with 3666 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Another store closes on 14:42 - Jun 22 by footers

You make it sound like a bad thing.

His first scenario sounds like Basingstoke. Bloody awful
Another store closes on 15:06 - Jun 22 with 3661 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 15:03 - Jun 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

I wonder how much of this is down to people, like one prick I have to work with, who tries on clothes/ shoes in store to see if they fit well, then goes home and finds the best deal online.
You’ve got to be one tight c-unit to do that.

Or, you know, he's on a tight budget and needs to make every penny count.

Businesses either need to get with the times and provide people with a service they want, or go under. That's the free market baby.

Another store closes on 15:11 - Jun 22 with 3650 viewsPinewoodblue

SB

Tell that to Tesco. They are closing down Tesco direct in two weeks time.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Another store closes on 15:11 - Jun 22 with 3647 viewsSitfcB

Another store closes on 14:10 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

Did you ever go in the Ipswich one? Lovely cafe in there. Did a beautiful cream horn.

Don't think we've ever had a House of Fraser?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Another store closes on 15:13 - Jun 22 with 3646 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 15:11 - Jun 22 by Pinewoodblue

Tell that to Tesco. They are closing down Tesco direct in two weeks time.

I never really got Tesco Direct. I looked on there once and half the stuff was out of stock and the other half was from dodgy second party sellers. I'm not surprised they are pulling the plug.

In other news, I saw that Primark opened a store in NYC this year. The margins in sweatshop produced clothing must be a little better.

Another store closes on 15:34 - Jun 22 with 3618 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Another store closes on 15:06 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

Or, you know, he's on a tight budget and needs to make every penny count.

Businesses either need to get with the times and provide people with a service they want, or go under. That's the free market baby.

The point is people like him are stealing the service and then going elsewhere.... which, if enough people do it, will result in the service being pulled completely.

The guy I’m thinking of couldn’t believe I paid a couple of hundred extra for a hifi because I actually cared about keeping people in work
Another store closes on 15:36 - Jun 22 with 3611 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 15:11 - Jun 22 by SitfcB

It was members only. Keep the likes of you out. Poundland was brought in to keep you distracted.

Another store closes on 15:45 - Jun 22 with 3596 viewsGlasgowBlue

That news is about two weeks old.

HOF is a bit too stufyy and old fashioned so the Edinburhg store simply can't complete with Harvey Nicks which has a great resturant and champagne bar on the top floor.

The HOF store in Glasgow doesn't have the same competition and when I was in it yeaterday it was mobbed.

Shops will survive if they change with the times and make the shoping experience far more pleasureable.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Another store closes on 15:49 - Jun 22 with 3586 viewsfooters

Another store closes on 15:45 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

That news is about two weeks old.

HOF is a bit too stufyy and old fashioned so the Edinburhg store simply can't complete with Harvey Nicks which has a great resturant and champagne bar on the top floor.

The HOF store in Glasgow doesn't have the same competition and when I was in it yeaterday it was mobbed.

Shops will survive if they change with the times and make the shoping experience far more pleasureable.

Good point, GB.

To be honest, I never really understood what HOF was as a shop. Felt like it wanted to be quite exclusive but was simply overcharging on brands you could get anywhere rather than providing decent experiences as you mention with Nicks.

Another store closes on 15:51 - Jun 22 with 3580 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 15:49 - Jun 22 by footers

Good point, GB.

To be honest, I never really understood what HOF was as a shop. Felt like it wanted to be quite exclusive but was simply overcharging on brands you could get anywhere rather than providing decent experiences as you mention with Nicks.

It was like the snooty chavs Debenhams? Or a rich man's C&A? I'm not sure really.

Another store closes on 15:53 - Jun 22 with 3575 viewswitchdoctor

Another store closes on 15:11 - Jun 22 by SitfcB

don’t let facts get in the way mate!
Another store closes on 15:54 - Jun 22 with 3574 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 15:53 - Jun 22 by witchdoctor

don’t let facts get in the way mate!

Which of you would like the woosh? I only have one to give.

Another store closes on 15:54 - Jun 22 with 3573 viewsfooters

Another store closes on 15:51 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

It was like the snooty chavs Debenhams? Or a rich man's C&A? I'm not sure really.

I'm more interested in the fact you were getting your beautiful cream horns behind closed doors. No wonder you kept that schtum.

Another store closes on 15:55 - Jun 22 with 3567 viewswitchdoctor

Another store closes on 15:54 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

Which of you would like the woosh? I only have one to give.

yeah right...if you say so
Another store closes on 15:56 - Jun 22 with 3565 viewsSpruceMoose

Another store closes on 15:54 - Jun 22 by footers

I'm more interested in the fact you were getting your beautiful cream horns behind closed doors. No wonder you kept that schtum.

There is a seedy but delicious underbelly to Ipswich commerce. You just have to know the right people. I've been shopping for years at the underground Ikea, where B&Q used to be by Cardinal Park.

Now I don't live in Ipswich and can no longer shop there, I may as well let you in on the secrets.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024