Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mantle Clocks 08:46 - Jun 11 with 1142 viewsuefacup81

I picked up an old Smiths of Enfield eight day mantle clock a few months back for £10 at a car boot sale - despite the price it seems to work perfectly.

I've gone through the process of adjusting it, but I can't seem to get it any better than losing about 1min a day in terms of time.

Is this par for the course for a clock of this age and style, or is perfect timekeeping something I should be able to achieve with a little more application?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Mantle Clocks on 08:50 - Jun 11 with 1130 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

My Rolex gains 20 seconds a day (technically failing COSC Certification), so I think a minute a day for an old clock like that is pretty good
Mantle Clocks on 09:01 - Jun 11 with 1111 viewsconnorscontract

Mantle Clocks on 08:50 - Jun 11 by FrowsyArmLarry

My Rolex gains 20 seconds a day (technically failing COSC Certification), so I think a minute a day for an old clock like that is pretty good

We'll, I do believe we have a new contender in the "You had one job to do" Stakes.

It's good that you only paid a few grand for your rubbish watch!
Mantle Clocks on 09:03 - Jun 11 with 1104 viewsDeano69

Is it digital?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Mantle Clocks on 09:15 - Jun 11 with 1088 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Mantle Clocks on 09:01 - Jun 11 by connorscontract

We'll, I do believe we have a new contender in the "You had one job to do" Stakes.

It's good that you only paid a few grand for your rubbish watch!

Actually that was a typo, it gains 10 seconds. Waste of money though.... I keep meaning to sell it and have been offered virtually what it was brand new, so not costing too much (unless you work out the net present value)
Mantle Clocks on 09:49 - Jun 11 with 1049 viewsfergalsharkey

Simlply adjust the length of the pendulum .
If its quick lengthen or visa versa.
A very light lubrication on the mechamism may speed it up but clocks are sensetive to temp also so just leave it to aclimatise for a bit then tinker.

Poll: Cook out?

Mantle Clocks on 10:31 - Jun 11 with 1014 viewssolemio

Mantle Clocks on 09:49 - Jun 11 by fergalsharkey

Simlply adjust the length of the pendulum .
If its quick lengthen or visa versa.
A very light lubrication on the mechamism may speed it up but clocks are sensetive to temp also so just leave it to aclimatise for a bit then tinker.

Yes, you can't do that with a Rolex. They're useless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024