Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pedestrians vs common sense 18:08 - Jun 5 with 3911 viewsGeoffSentence

I am constantly baffled by the number of people I encounter walking down country lanes with their backs to the oncoming traffic. Why do people do this? Is it the buzz of risking life and limb? Simple trust that the muppet driving towards them will be paying full attention and won't drive into them? A desire to reduce the amount of compensation paid to them in the even of an accident?

If anyone indulges in this tomfoolery, please get in touch and let me know why.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:14 - Jun 5 with 3871 viewsbefxblue

Genuine question.

Why is it considered safer to walk toward the oncoming traffic in country lanes?
Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:16 - Jun 5 with 3857 viewsGeoffSentence

Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:14 - Jun 5 by befxblue

Genuine question.

Why is it considered safer to walk toward the oncoming traffic in country lanes?

Because you can see what the car coming directly towards you is doing and take evasive action if necessary.

Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:21 - Jun 5 with 3838 viewsbefxblue

Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:16 - Jun 5 by GeoffSentence

Because you can see what the car coming directly towards you is doing and take evasive action if necessary.

Makes perfect sense in idiot proof language......😬
Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:26 - Jun 5 with 3817 viewsFtnfwest

In towns people just walk out in front of traffic and expect it to stop
Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:35 - Jun 5 with 3800 viewsfooters

I want my death to be a surprise. I can't look at it head-on like a real man. Take me from behind, beautiful reckless driver.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:37 - Jun 5 with 3789 viewsronnyd

Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:26 - Jun 5 by Ftnfwest

In towns people just walk out in front of traffic and expect it to stop

To lazy to take their noses out of their mobile phones.
Pedestrians vs common sense on 19:24 - Jun 5 with 3707 viewsryan_tractorboy

Are we talking single-track roads? Which if so will have cars coming both ways. Otherwise, people don't really think about things like that, as a general observation.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 19:30]
Pedestrians vs common sense on 19:36 - Jun 5 with 3688 viewsPinewoodblue

It is also nice if they walk in single file.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Pedestrians vs common sense on 19:36 - Jun 5 with 3687 viewsGeoffSentence

Pedestrians vs common sense on 19:24 - Jun 5 by ryan_tractorboy

Are we talking single-track roads? Which if so will have cars coming both ways. Otherwise, people don't really think about things like that, as a general observation.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 19:30]

Some country lanes are very narrow, in which case it doesn't really matter which side you walk on, but most are wide enough that there is an obvious side to drive on, which is where I see this nonsense.

Edit: Bryan Hamilton nearly became a victim of mine on such a lane, walking with his back to the traffic, in dark clothes at night. It was only his shock of white hair in my headlights as I came round the corner that alerted me to his presence. Has anyone else nearly killed a Town legend?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 19:38]

Pedestrians vs common sense on 19:53 - Jun 5 with 3645 viewsjeera

Pedestrians vs common sense on 19:36 - Jun 5 by GeoffSentence

Some country lanes are very narrow, in which case it doesn't really matter which side you walk on, but most are wide enough that there is an obvious side to drive on, which is where I see this nonsense.

Edit: Bryan Hamilton nearly became a victim of mine on such a lane, walking with his back to the traffic, in dark clothes at night. It was only his shock of white hair in my headlights as I came round the corner that alerted me to his presence. Has anyone else nearly killed a Town legend?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 19:38]

There was a time that all you had to do was carry a newspaper and you'd be fine.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Pedestrians vs common sense on 19:54 - Jun 5 with 3644 viewsSpruceMoose

Pedestrians vs common sense on 18:14 - Jun 5 by befxblue

Genuine question.

So you at least have a chance of making eye contact with your killer.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Pedestrians vs common sense on 20:51 - Jun 5 with 3568 viewsBrixtonBlue

The worst people on the roads in central London are the pedestrians.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Indeed on 20:55 - Jun 5 with 3556 viewsDyland

Pedestrians vs common sense on 20:51 - Jun 5 by BrixtonBlue

The worst people on the roads in central London are the pedestrians.

Followed closely by cyclists.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Pedestrians vs common sense on 20:58 - Jun 5 with 3548 viewsJ2BLUE

On a similar note, the amount of people who just walk out into the road without looking is truly amazing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Indeed on 22:40 - Jun 5 with 3471 viewsjpring89

Indeed on 20:55 - Jun 5 by Dyland

Followed closely by cyclists.

Cyclists side by side on a busy road are complete c units.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Pedestrians vs common sense on 22:48 - Jun 5 with 3438 viewsStNeotsBlue

As a youth I was once distracted by seeing a fit young lady and walked into a lamppost giving myself a mild concussion, I was absolutely mortified to find myself disorientated, on my arse and being laughed at by a fit bird.

I gathered all my remaining dignity and legged it.
Pedestrians vs common sense on 22:54 - Jun 5 with 3417 viewsJ2BLUE

Pedestrians vs common sense on 22:48 - Jun 5 by StNeotsBlue

As a youth I was once distracted by seeing a fit young lady and walked into a lamppost giving myself a mild concussion, I was absolutely mortified to find myself disorientated, on my arse and being laughed at by a fit bird.

I gathered all my remaining dignity and legged it.

I've had similar when there was a hot girl across the road. I was once walking back from the local shop when I worked in town, carrying my innocent smoothie like an absolute boss when I fell over flat on my face and the smoothie rolled sadly away. I got up, grinned at her, she grinned back and i carried on walking while berating myself for being a total dickhead.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Pedestrians vs common sense on 23:00 - Jun 5 with 3394 viewsSpruceMoose

Pedestrians vs common sense on 22:54 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

I've had similar when there was a hot girl across the road. I was once walking back from the local shop when I worked in town, carrying my innocent smoothie like an absolute boss when I fell over flat on my face and the smoothie rolled sadly away. I got up, grinned at her, she grinned back and i carried on walking while berating myself for being a total dickhead.

If you ever fancy a day off let us know and we can berate you instead!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Pedestrians vs common sense on 23:21 - Jun 5 with 3338 viewsVic

Thing is Geoff, in a country lane - ie a one lane road - whichever way you walk you’ll have you’re back to traffic one way or another. The only time you can avoid it is if the road is actually two car width or more wide.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Pedestrians vs common sense on 23:24 - Jun 5 with 3329 viewsGeoffSentence

Pedestrians vs common sense on 23:21 - Jun 5 by Vic

Thing is Geoff, in a country lane - ie a one lane road - whichever way you walk you’ll have you’re back to traffic one way or another. The only time you can avoid it is if the road is actually two car width or more wide.

Not so, very few lanes round here, that's the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle, are so narrow that it makes no difference. Most are wide enough for two cars to pass, or at the least wide enough that there is an clear side to drive on. On those that are truly narrow, I agree, it makes no odds which side you walk on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024