Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches 18:00 - May 27 with 5895 viewsclive_baker

I have to say they looked guff on both occasions. That said, it’s not sufficient to form an opinion and anyone who does on the basis of a couple of playoff matches is being unfair to the guy. They’ve punched abound their weight all season and Hurst deserves a lot of respect. I think we would do well to appoint him, but people’s expectations need to be managed IMO. With a limited budget I think it’s going to be more of the same for us.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 18:03 - May 27 with 5836 viewsWadeyBlue

Champions league in 5 years for us.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 18:05 - May 27 with 5814 viewsclive_baker

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 18:03 - May 27 by WadeyBlue

I think 6 is a lot more realistic to be fair to Hurst.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 18:10 - May 27 with 5752 viewsnoggin

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 18:03 - May 27 by WadeyBlue

Winners I presume, not just participants.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:08 - May 27 with 5508 viewsOsborneOneNil

Are you including Charlton in this? Shrews were very good in both ties, owned it big time.
Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:14 - May 27 with 5472 viewswkj

There is a time when you can be forgiven for playing a must not lose style of football, and trying to secure a play off place in the last few games, and victories in the playoffs are certainly a win at all costs type of fixture. I am affriad a lot of people have only been paying attnetion to the shrews in the P/offs and not so much in their regular league games. I don't read into his play off games at all, as he was by far and large the underdog, and to a point had to play as such

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:29 - May 27 with 5406 viewstextbackup

What gets me, is jack Ross was coming from park football and everyone was fully behind him, Hurst could arrive from the league below getting a team ready for the drop in P.O. Final but apparently he’s not good enough and a lesser appointment.

Whoever we get is going to be a breathe of fresh air, and I’m hoping we and the manager grow develope and learn as a club.

It won’t be an overnight thing, but I’ll pre book P.O. final dates off work ready just in case

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:32 - May 27 with 5384 viewswkj

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:29 - May 27 by textbackup

What gets me, is jack Ross was coming from park football and everyone was fully behind him, Hurst could arrive from the league below getting a team ready for the drop in P.O. Final but apparently he’s not good enough and a lesser appointment.

Whoever we get is going to be a breathe of fresh air, and I’m hoping we and the manager grow develope and learn as a club.

It won’t be an overnight thing, but I’ll pre book P.O. final dates off work ready just in case

if we get hurst, or someone favourable (not a depseration signing) then I for one will be happy and raring to go- Keane and PJ managed to leave the squad in a bad situation, mick came in, did a good job building us, but poor job keep us invested, Hurst will have some decent young players and hopefully a bit of support from Evans on the transfer market, Josh probably impressed him today- he impressed me, I think there is a lot more to be excited about than worry about

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:36 - May 27 with 5368 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I suspect some would only be satisfied if we'd picked a boss whose team had just beaten their last dozen opponents 4-0. Anything else wouldn't be exciting enough to be a change from Mick McCarthy.

This, in spite of the fact we were the second top scorers in the Championship for pretty much the entire first half of this season.

A selection of games can tell you anything you want to believe about a boss if you're selective enough. Hurst may or may not be what we need after Mick, but can we at least wait until A.) He has actually become our manager, and B.) Shown what he can do with our squad, before we judge his style of play?
Login to get fewer ads

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:41 - May 27 with 5348 viewstextbackup

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:36 - May 27 by NoCanariesAllowed

I suspect some would only be satisfied if we'd picked a boss whose team had just beaten their last dozen opponents 4-0. Anything else wouldn't be exciting enough to be a change from Mick McCarthy.

This, in spite of the fact we were the second top scorers in the Championship for pretty much the entire first half of this season.

A selection of games can tell you anything you want to believe about a boss if you're selective enough. Hurst may or may not be what we need after Mick, but can we at least wait until A.) He has actually become our manager, and B.) Shown what he can do with our squad, before we judge his style of play?

The main thing for me is we are a step up for whoever we get, aclub the new man is honoured to manager. Not an inconvenience

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:51 - May 27 with 5292 viewsGodzilla

With a limited budget it's not more of the same though really is it, when you have a young manager who knows the lower leagues, is hungry to prove his worth and can talk to fans with mutual respect.
Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 23:01 - May 27 with 5247 viewswallyvincent

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 22:51 - May 27 by Godzilla

With a limited budget it's not more of the same though really is it, when you have a young manager who knows the lower leagues, is hungry to prove his worth and can talk to fans with mutual respect.

Hurst has worked his way up the leagues and has already clocked up 500+ matches as a boss albeit many at non league level. His win ration is very impressive and he does seem to turn things round quickly at teams. Sounds perfect for us!

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 00:04 - May 28 with 5094 viewsSuperfrans

Also, nobody commenting on here about Ross saw St Mirren play more than a few clips last season. In their last 6 matches, they won 2, drew 1 and lost 3. They didn’t finish the season well either.

It seems that the Shrews, having played above themselves all season, fell away towards the end, and today came up against a better resourced team who were in the Championship last season and lost. And still managed to score the goal of the game,

I’d much rather chose my manager based on the entire season, 87 points and 54% win rate, than based on a one-off match Against a better resourced team.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 07:13 - May 28 with 4895 viewstrncbluearmy

Seen various clips and yesterdays game,Mr Hurst has got a lot out of a pretty ordinary set of players,goalkeeper excluded who is manure anyway and reckon will play for England one day.

First half it was all Rotherham really but at half time he adjusted his defence then went two up front, worked a brilliant training ground goal and looked well on top until they had to replace their best player with a complete donkey.

Was not totally convinced about Mr Hurst until yesterday, but he has done a terrific job with very average players(without him think they will go down) whereas we have very decent players all over the park for him to work with.
Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 07:28 - May 28 with 4851 viewstextbackup

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 00:04 - May 28 by Superfrans

Also, nobody commenting on here about Ross saw St Mirren play more than a few clips last season. In their last 6 matches, they won 2, drew 1 and lost 3. They didn’t finish the season well either.

It seems that the Shrews, having played above themselves all season, fell away towards the end, and today came up against a better resourced team who were in the Championship last season and lost. And still managed to score the goal of the game,

I’d much rather chose my manager based on the entire season, 87 points and 54% win rate, than based on a one-off match Against a better resourced team.

99% of us didn’t even know Jack Ross was alive, let alone his football tactics and style

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 07:29 - May 28 with 4847 viewsReuser_is_God

More of the same in terms of league position would be okay with me.

However let’s just try & make it a bit more enjoyable instead of boring everyone to death in the process like McCarthy did.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 08:02 - May 28 with 4771 viewsEly_Blue

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 00:04 - May 28 by Superfrans

I would agree with that, not withstanding that the reason in my opinion that they ultimately came up short was they looked completely goosed the last 45 minutes of the final, this may have something to do with the fact they have played 62 games this season, that is more than any other professional football team in England this season

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 08:04 - May 28 with 4765 viewsSteve_M

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 07:29 - May 28 by Reuser_is_God

More of the same in terms of league position would be okay with me.

However let’s just try & make it a bit more enjoyable instead of boring everyone to death in the process like McCarthy did.

I think people have used "style of football" as shorthand for something a bit more complicated than that. There wasn't too much wrong with how we played when we scored 21 goals in eight home matches last season but there was when we scored two in the following eight.

It was MM's conservatism, and the doubling down on that, after a poor game that was the biggest problem. I also still think that people might have been more excited about last season in December had we had a new manager. That's not a criticism, more a reflection of the general need for change.

As others have said, in this thread and elsewhere, Hurst as a young manager on the up is very much the sort of positive change we should be embracing (assuming of course that it actually happens).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Having watched Shrewsbury’s last 2 matches on 08:40 - May 28 with 4668 viewsBloomBlue

You could argue Shrewsbury played more games than any other team this season and the final was one game too many.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024