Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Kane 10:13 - May 18 with 22027 viewsHeathlander

Is he world class?
Harry Kane on 09:49 - May 22 with 4503 viewschicoazul

Harry Kane on 09:40 - May 22 by Herbivore

I'm not sure I agree with that last bit. If you were after an out and out striker to lead your attack then I'd expect Kane to be very near the top of the list.

For me it would be Cavani, Griez, Suarez, Higuain, Diego Costa, Waghorn before you even got to Kane.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Harry Kane on 09:56 - May 22 with 4495 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 09:49 - May 22 by chicoazul

For me it would be Cavani, Griez, Suarez, Higuain, Diego Costa, Waghorn before you even got to Kane.

Agree with Waghorn and Suarez but not the others. I know he sometimes doesn't look all that but he scored more goals in 2017 than anyone else and did so in one of the best leagues in the world. I make him clearly preferable to Higuain, Costa and Cavani. Griez is a different type of player but I'd have him and Kane in the same kind of bracket. I hate saying that too as I don't like Spurs and have spent nearly 3 years expecting Kane's form to tail off before having to finally admit that he is a very, very good striker and amongst the world's best in his position.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harry Kane on 10:23 - May 22 with 4483 viewstractordownsouth

Third best out and out centre forward in the world, behind Suarez and Lewandowski. Possibly equal with Diego Costa

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Harry Kane on 10:24 - May 22 with 4480 viewschicoazul

Harry Kane on 10:23 - May 22 by tractordownsouth

Third best out and out centre forward in the world, behind Suarez and Lewandowski. Possibly equal with Diego Costa

I've come to think Lewandowski is just a flat track bully.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Harry Kane on 11:01 - May 22 with 4474 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 10:24 - May 22 by chicoazul

I've come to think Lewandowski is just a flat track bully.

He went missing against Real. If Bayern had Harry Kane they'd be in the CL final this weekend.

Harry Kane on 12:50 - May 22 with 4461 viewsCurrie10

Which surely makes him in the world class bracket!

Not my favourite player of all time Kane.....

Not the quickest, probably not the best at many single things.

However collectively - superb.
Harry Kane on 12:51 - May 22 with 4461 viewschristiand

Another couple of names for your list Tractordowsouth: Inter Milan's Icardi and Juventus' Dybala

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Harry Kane on 13:26 - May 22 with 4450 viewsCurrie10

Harry Kane on 12:51 - May 22 by christiand

Another couple of names for your list Tractordowsouth: Inter Milan's Icardi and Juventus' Dybala

Poor Icardi can't get into the Argentina 23!
Login to get fewer ads

Harry Kane on 14:34 - May 22 with 4440 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 13:26 - May 22 by Currie10

Poor Icardi can't get into the Argentina 23!

Have you not seen their forward options for this World Cup? I bet England wouldn't mind having these strikers Currie 10 for selection: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain, Paulo Dybala (both Juventus) and Sergio Aguero (Manchester City).

Mauro Icardi was Serie A's top scorer this season too!!!

Harry Kane on 16:47 - May 22 with 4408 viewsHeathlander

A four pager. Blimey who'd have thunk it. Off to see our Blue Heaven tonight. Look out for the cool cat and that'll be me,
Harry Kane on 19:11 - May 22 with 4393 viewsgood_at_COD

Harry Kane on 11:27 - May 18 by Nazemariner

4 consecutive seasons where he has notched a hat full in PL, along with a fair few in European competition.

I think he is the ONLY world class English player.

My take is that IF we have a world class player it is probably Kane, but I won’t be convinced until he puts on a show on the biggest stage, the World Cup finals.

Giggsy

Harry Kane on 20:15 - Jun 24 with 4227 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 10:19 - May 18 by chicoazul

Regularly have this argument. No, not quite. The highest levels of football are the World Cup Champions League and to a slightly lesser extent South American WC qualifying. He hasn't really done anything in the WC yet, he has done ok in the CL but Spurs havent done much. For me true world class is players who do it at the absolute top level consistently and I dont mean turkey shoots against Andorra or Gibraltar in qualifying matches so Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Griezmann, Aguero, James Rodruguez. Kane is just a level below world elite.

Is Kane world class yet?

Harry Kane on 21:09 - Jun 24 with 4185 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Harry Kane on 20:15 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

Is Kane world class yet?

The only people who will argue against it will say he has to do it against the top sides.

Will be interesting to see him against Belgium (if he plays).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Harry Kane on 21:56 - Jun 24 with 4145 viewsBloomBlue

Harry Kane on 21:09 - Jun 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

The only people who will argue against it will say he has to do it against the top sides.

Messi never does it against the top sides, fails always at the WC against the better teams.
Harry Kane on 21:56 - Jun 24 with 4147 viewsconnorscontract

Harry Kane on 20:15 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

Is Kane world class yet?

Didn't see this thread at the time but have just read it.

There was never a definition of "World Class" agreed upon.

I think it is probably easier to define with an out-and-out Centre Forward.

Generally it is agreed that a player who scores 1 in 3 games at a certain level is a decent CF at that level, and 1 in 2 is the ratio at which they are very good to excellent.

By that test a CF who scores 1 in 3 goals in internationals, consistently, is "International Class". A CF who scores 1 in 2 internationally is a rank above this and so could then be considered "World Class". Obviously you could have players who score in an easy qualification group, but if that player also scores at that level in a major League then that backs it up, and like with cricket statistics you could have a minimum qualification of 20 goals.

A different way to assess it would be to say "World Class" is one above "International Class", so could be a hypothetical Confederation Team eg UEFA v South America. If there was a UEFA team any player who could arguably make the 22 man UEFA squad could be considered World Class.

It's clearly not "All Time Great", but needs to be quite a bit above "decent International Class".
Harry Kane on 22:05 - Jun 24 with 4133 viewsjas0999

Yes he is.
Harry Kane on 22:07 - Jun 24 with 4126 viewswkj

Harry Kane on 21:56 - Jun 24 by connorscontract

Generally it is agreed that a player who scores 1 in 3 games at a certain level is a decent CF at that level, and 1 in 2 is the ratio at which they are very good to excellent.

By that test a CF who scores 1 in 3 goals in internationals, consistently, is "International Class". A CF who scores 1 in 2 internationally is a rank above this and so could then be considered "World Class". Obviously you could have players who score in an easy qualification group, but if that player also scores at that level in a major League then that backs it up, and like with cricket statistics you could have a minimum qualification of 20 goals.

A different way to assess it would be to say "World Class" is one above "International Class", so could be a hypothetical Confederation Team eg UEFA v South America. If there was a UEFA team any player who could arguably make the 22 man UEFA squad could be considered World Class.

It's clearly not "All Time Great", but needs to be quite a bit above "decent International Class".

He is young and only getting better, I hope he blasts Rooney's records out of the water as he has a lot more drive and mental grounding (so it seems) If we are going to state Kane isn't world class, its only a matter of time before he is. Kane needs to leave spurs, or spurs need to step it up though, right now the team is set up perfectly for Kane and if he continues to progress at the rate he is, the team needs to progress with him.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Harry Kane on 22:09 - Jun 24 with 4122 viewsjeera

Harry Kane on 21:56 - Jun 24 by connorscontract

Definition has to mean a player who would be part of a contemporary mixed international starting 11 surely?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Harry Kane on 05:45 - Jun 25 with 4016 viewsBenters2

Yes he is Ace!
Harry Kane on 06:19 - Jun 25 with 4002 viewsshoopdelang

Harry Kane on 10:19 - May 18 by chicoazul

Regularly have this argument. No, not quite. The highest levels of football are the World Cup Champions League and to a slightly lesser extent South American WC qualifying. He hasn't really done anything in the WC yet, he has done ok in the CL but Spurs havent done much. For me true world class is players who do it at the absolute top level consistently and I dont mean turkey shoots against Andorra or Gibraltar in qualifying matches so Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Griezmann, Aguero, James Rodruguez. Kane is just a level below world elite.

Messi consistently done it for Argentina? No he has not.

Kane is without doubt the only England player who is world class. He would get into any top level side..

In your opinion I suppose higuain not world class because he doesn’t start for Argentina ?

World class to me means being able to play and perform against the best teams in the world. Not necessarily being in the best teams, you’ve also said he’s not world class because spurs haven’t done much in the CL. We probably just have a different way of looking at it but for example I would say Eriksen is world class because he would fit in Barcelona, Man City’s or Real Madrid’s sides and looks a complete footballer. But you’d say he isn’t because spurs and Denmark haven’t consistently done well.
Harry Kane on 06:49 - Jun 25 with 3973 viewschristiand

Exactly. Until Kane does it against the recognised top sides then the jury is out. Like everyone else, I'm immensely pleased for him that he has scored 5 goals already but keep it in perspective it was against Tunisia and Panama. Russia's big centre forward Artem Dzyuba has scored 3 goals so far, with some very accomplished finishes is he world class with goals against Saudi Arabia and Egypt?

Lets see what happens against Belgium on Thursday, if Kane plays well and scores then I will start to believe he is a world class striker, he is without doubt a very good one. He's going to be up against his Spurs' team mates - Vertonghen and Alderwiereld they know him inside out, so it's going to be even tougher than normal!
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 6:52]

Harry Kane on 07:39 - Jun 25 with 3925 viewsblueconscience

Seems like you have to have an exotic name to be world class to.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Harry Kane on 08:14 - Jun 25 with 3904 viewsitfcjoe

Harry Kane on 06:49 - Jun 25 by christiand

Exactly. Until Kane does it against the recognised top sides then the jury is out. Like everyone else, I'm immensely pleased for him that he has scored 5 goals already but keep it in perspective it was against Tunisia and Panama. Russia's big centre forward Artem Dzyuba has scored 3 goals so far, with some very accomplished finishes is he world class with goals against Saudi Arabia and Egypt?

Lets see what happens against Belgium on Thursday, if Kane plays well and scores then I will start to believe he is a world class striker, he is without doubt a very good one. He's going to be up against his Spurs' team mates - Vertonghen and Alderwiereld they know him inside out, so it's going to be even tougher than normal!
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 6:52]

Kane has scored a bucket load of goals consistently in the PL and has a good goslsvoring record at international level - any club side in the world would want him. He’s clearly world class

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Harry Kane on 08:20 - Jun 25 with 3899 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 08:14 - Jun 25 by itfcjoe

Kane has scored a bucket load of goals consistently in the PL and has a good goslsvoring record at international level - any club side in the world would want him. He’s clearly world class

Yeah but he hasn't scored against Belgium yet!

Harry Kane on 08:46 - Jun 25 with 3875 viewsshoopdelang

Harry Kane on 08:14 - Jun 25 by itfcjoe

Well put.

Harry Kane 2009—present
Tottenham Hotspur
153Apps
108 goals

This is for Tottenham. Not a European heavyweight. That record is incredible.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024