Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Kane 10:13 - May 18 with 22184 viewsHeathlander

Is he world class?
Harry Kane on 11:46 - May 18 with 4284 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Yes, yes he is. Okay so he hasn't done it for England or Spurs in the later stages of a major competition (Euro's/Champions League) but in his defence, Woy had him taking corners in a very clueless looking team at Euro 2016 and Spurs are massive bottlers in the CL - put him in a side that are at world level and he'd show his true quality
Harry Kane on 11:49 - May 18 with 4278 viewsNo9

We will soon find out
Harry Kane on 11:49 - May 18 with 4279 viewsRobTheMonk

I think he'd be a tier two player. Tier one being Messi and Ronaldo.

A player who I think doesn't get nearly enough recognition is Sami Khedira. Wins things wherever he goes.
Harry Kane on 12:04 - May 18 with 4263 viewsitfcjoe

Harry Kane on 11:24 - May 18 by chicoazul

Maradona carried a generally-poor Argentina side to two WC finals back to back and won one. There were no real stars in the Napoli team either. I appreciate he is a bit of an exception but this is basically the "could he do it on a wet Wednesday at Stoke" argument.

I think there's a difference between world class and being undisputably in the best 5 players of all time.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Harry Kane on 12:23 - May 18 with 4246 viewshype313

Yes, without question.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Harry Kane on 12:27 - May 18 with 4240 viewsHennikerBlu

Harry Kane on 11:22 - May 18 by wkj

Hodgson's tactical handling of Euros was so utterly baffling, I think it is unfair to judge Kane too much on that.

I hope you are right, hence my comment about corners.

Nevertheless, I don't recall him doing much more or having many shots, elements of the media suggested at the time that it had been a long season for him. Which if you have followed England for a long time you will know that has come up frequently when the stars have not delivered, especially strikers.

Equally, I would not put it all down to Hodgson, the debacle, especially in the last game, the players were devoid of ideas and many seemed to freeze. Portugal did not win a group stage game and came third and of course went on to win it. That group stage performance by Portugal would be considered a disaster in England. But, in spite of 'their tactics', the Portuguese players dug deep and delivered.

As I said at the start I hope Kane does become a huge star and I am positive about Southgate's approach.
Harry Kane on 12:29 - May 18 with 4239 viewsThrobbe

Harry Kane on 12:04 - May 18 by itfcjoe

I think there's a difference between world class and being undisputably in the best 5 players of all time.

This, very hard.

World Class to me is a player that if available would be creating interest in the best club sides. I'm not saying he'd be first choice everywhere, but I think he'd be a welcome addition to just about any team worldwide.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Harry Kane on 12:31 - May 18 with 4231 viewshype313

Harry Kane on 12:29 - May 18 by Throbbe

This, very hard.

World Class to me is a player that if available would be creating interest in the best club sides. I'm not saying he'd be first choice everywhere, but I think he'd be a welcome addition to just about any team worldwide.

Yep, on that basis you could say currently Messi, Ronaldo, Greizmann and Kane are as every club would want one of them in their team.

Neymar is clearly an outstanding player and would ordinarily be on the list, but you could see certain clubs avoiding him due to his attitude.

Login to get fewer ads

Harry Kane on 12:37 - May 18 with 4222 viewsitfcjoe

Harry Kane on 12:31 - May 18 by hype313

Yep, on that basis you could say currently Messi, Ronaldo, Greizmann and Kane are as every club would want one of them in their team.

Neymar is clearly an outstanding player and would ordinarily be on the list, but you could see certain clubs avoiding him due to his attitude.

No one would avoid Neymar if they could get him - either for what he brings on the pitch or off it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Harry Kane on 12:43 - May 18 with 4218 viewshype313

Harry Kane on 12:37 - May 18 by itfcjoe

No one would avoid Neymar if they could get him - either for what he brings on the pitch or off it

You think Pep would want him at City given what he had with Ibra at Barcelona?

Harry Kane on 12:52 - May 18 with 4204 viewsSenatorBlue

I think he has the potential to be "World Class", but will only take that step once he has delivered at the top end; World Cup, Euro's, Nations League, Champions League. An consistently delivered at that level e.g. replicate his PL consistency at this level. I feel there are very few, genuine World Class players, however a number can be for short periods.
Harry Kane on 12:53 - May 18 with 4203 viewsJimmyJazz

Think the problem with Kane, and he's young enough to correct this, is he needs a few games to get going. The whole 'doesn't score in August' thing, when he comes back from injury it takes a few games before he has a major impact. As a fantasy football manager you'd have Kane in your team, but when he's injured you wouldn't rush to transfer him back once he's fit again as first few game weeks he might score a tap in but otherwise nothing.

Unfortunately i can see the same being said of the world cup, the break between now and then won't do him any favours and he'll struggle to make an impact once the tournament gets going
[Post edited 18 May 2018 13:02]

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Harry Kane on 12:57 - May 18 with 4200 viewsCurrie10

Absolutely, yes.

' World class ' I mean what does that even mean?

Good enough to play in Africa? Asia? Eastern Europe? Scandanavia? Australia?

Is it just Ronaldo Messi and players from the big 2 in Spain?

Kane is easily within my definition of world class - the best 30 or so players in each set position.

If someone can name me TEN better out and out strikers than Kane, and perhaps think only top 10 make someone world class, then I shall look forward to this.
Harry Kane on 13:01 - May 18 with 4191 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 11:29 - May 18 by christiand

Is anyone disputing that Rodriquez is world class? That's you Herbivore, in a room on your own, starting an argument with yourself. For me, when you are looking at 'world class' its plays like: Messi, Neymar, Buffon and Ronaldo that type of ilk. Do they deliver on the big stage? They'll have games when they are quiet, but generally it's hard to disagree that they don't. Kane still has some way to go to prove he is in the same breath as those players and some others, but he certainly has potential.

The poster I responded to included James Rodriguez as a world class player, hence I responded by questioning that. Is that a problem? I'll await your apology. Unless I've read you wrong and you're saying it's indisputable that James is world class, which is an odd position to take imo given he flopped at Real and isn't close to being Bayern's best player either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harry Kane on 13:10 - May 18 with 4180 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 13:01 - May 18 by Herbivore

The poster I responded to included James Rodriguez as a world class player, hence I responded by questioning that. Is that a problem? I'll await your apology. Unless I've read you wrong and you're saying it's indisputable that James is world class, which is an odd position to take imo given he flopped at Real and isn't close to being Bayern's best player either.

No, you’ve read it incorrectly but no surprises there.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Harry Kane on 13:15 - May 18 with 4180 viewsFtnfwest

Harry Kane on 12:57 - May 18 by Currie10

Absolutely, yes.

' World class ' I mean what does that even mean?

Good enough to play in Africa? Asia? Eastern Europe? Scandanavia? Australia?

Is it just Ronaldo Messi and players from the big 2 in Spain?

Kane is easily within my definition of world class - the best 30 or so players in each set position.

If someone can name me TEN better out and out strikers than Kane, and perhaps think only top 10 make someone world class, then I shall look forward to this.

i kind of always consider 'world class' to be players who would get into the first team of any country in say the world top 15-20 teams (in other words even pushing it, those countries that have any, even slim, chance of winning the world cup, euros or copa america). In broad terms regular first team starters for those sides plus 'one off' clearly top players such as Bale and Salah who don't come into that bracket (at the moment). Always a bit random though because compared to the england squad for instance you'd probably put the entire german squad in the world class category. Kane? Yes i think so but would be confirmed by him having at least a reasonable world cup (as he had a poor euros).
Harry Kane on 13:24 - May 18 with 4170 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 13:10 - May 18 by christiand

No, you’ve read it incorrectly but no surprises there.

I've read what incorrectly? Are you saying James is indisputably world class or that nobody said he's world class? In both cases you're wrong so pick a winner.
[Post edited 18 May 2018 13:25]

Harry Kane on 13:28 - May 18 with 4163 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 13:24 - May 18 by Herbivore

I've read what incorrectly? Are you saying James is indisputably world class or that nobody said he's world class? In both cases you're wrong so pick a winner.
[Post edited 18 May 2018 13:25]

Brilliant Herbivore, top work!!

Harry Kane on 13:30 - May 18 with 4159 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 13:28 - May 18 by christiand

Brilliant Herbivore, top work!!

Oh dear. So you've gone back and had a look and realised that the poster I responded to did indeed say James was world class, hence my response to him questioning it. Rather than apologise for your misunderstanding and accusing me of starting an argument in an empty room you've decided to go all evasive to try and save face. Top work, mate.

Harry Kane on 13:39 - May 18 with 4149 viewsCurrie10

Harry Kane on 13:15 - May 18 by Ftnfwest

i kind of always consider 'world class' to be players who would get into the first team of any country in say the world top 15-20 teams (in other words even pushing it, those countries that have any, even slim, chance of winning the world cup, euros or copa america). In broad terms regular first team starters for those sides plus 'one off' clearly top players such as Bale and Salah who don't come into that bracket (at the moment). Always a bit random though because compared to the england squad for instance you'd probably put the entire german squad in the world class category. Kane? Yes i think so but would be confirmed by him having at least a reasonable world cup (as he had a poor euros).

I don't think Kane's got much left to prove, apart from the fact he can cut it in another league personally.

I mean last 4 seasons - goals - 31 / 28 / 35 / 41.

With people banging on about the Premier League being ' the best league in the world ' - something which I'm less convinced than others by - surely he'd score MORE goals in WORSE leagues?!

As for sides he'd get into -

Any in Italy bar perhaps Juventus with Higuain. I actually think he'd an upgrade / better movement than Gonzalo but that's open to debate.

France - Any bar perhaps PSG. That being said, I'm sure PSG would happily have him to replace Cavani at some point.

Spain - I'd argue he'd easily walk into Real over Benzema these days. If Barca could get their hands on him, I think he'd start games or they'd work a way to get him into the side.

Germany - any club bar perhaps Bayern with Lewandowski. Again, IF Bayern had Kane they'd no doubt figure a way to get the 2 together. They are lightyears ahead of anything their sadly ( ££££ wrecked the game )

As for a ' good world cup will make him world class ' debate - absolute horse minure if you ask me.

Take various golden shoe winners - Davor Suker 98 for instance. Very good striker, sure. Did that do an awful lot to how he was viewed in the game ? Real kept him one more year, then with his golden shoe in toe, he rewarded them with 5 goals in all completions.......

Kane will have chances vs Panama + Tunisia for sure and I'd expect a couple of goals there. In my opinion, Martinez is a pub manager so we have a good chance of beating Belgium.

I don't see England being capable of going past the quarters - so I don't think Kane is going to have the chance do to loads.

How about Weah / Giggs / players like this over the years - were they all of a sudden NOT world class as they didn't do it in tournaments!?

Kane is absolutely world class.
Harry Kane on 13:40 - May 18 with 4146 viewsbournemouthblue

Harry Kane on 10:19 - May 18 by chicoazul

Regularly have this argument. No, not quite. The highest levels of football are the World Cup Champions League and to a slightly lesser extent South American WC qualifying. He hasn't really done anything in the WC yet, he has done ok in the CL but Spurs havent done much. For me true world class is players who do it at the absolute top level consistently and I dont mean turkey shoots against Andorra or Gibraltar in qualifying matches so Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Griezmann, Aguero, James Rodruguez. Kane is just a level below world elite.

That's more down to Tottenham than anything else

He is bound to be successful in the Champions League in the future, with or without Spurs

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Harry Kane on 13:42 - May 18 with 4145 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 13:30 - May 18 by Herbivore

Oh dear. So you've gone back and had a look and realised that the poster I responded to did indeed say James was world class, hence my response to him questioning it. Rather than apologise for your misunderstanding and accusing me of starting an argument in an empty room you've decided to go all evasive to try and save face. Top work, mate.

Not at all Herbivore. Knowing what your football knowledge is like, it wouldn’t surprise me if you thought Rodriquez was world class....just needed clarity!!
[Post edited 18 May 2018 13:46]

Harry Kane on 13:43 - May 18 with 4143 viewsCurrie10

Harry Kane on 10:19 - May 18 by chicoazul

Regularly have this argument. No, not quite. The highest levels of football are the World Cup Champions League and to a slightly lesser extent South American WC qualifying. He hasn't really done anything in the WC yet, he has done ok in the CL but Spurs havent done much. For me true world class is players who do it at the absolute top level consistently and I dont mean turkey shoots against Andorra or Gibraltar in qualifying matches so Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Griezmann, Aguero, James Rodruguez. Kane is just a level below world elite.

Absolute rubbish.

James Rodriguez isn't even a striker for a start.

What makes Aguero so special? Always injured and Pep wants him out.

Not Kane's fault England aren't in South American qualification.

Do you sniff glue?
Harry Kane on 13:45 - May 18 with 4141 viewsm14_blue

Harry Kane on 11:46 - May 18 by Weekender

Why does it matter? Put him in that category or don't what difference does it make to anything?

As with all of these debates, the real question being asked is "how do you define 'world class'?"

Kane is obviously a good player, our best player. What makes someone world class? If it's top 20 in the world then he's got a shout, if it's top 5 then he clearly hasn't.
Harry Kane on 13:47 - May 18 with 4140 viewsbournemouthblue

Harry Kane on 11:31 - May 18 by chicoazul

We have 4 or 5 decent players. Kane Sterling Kyle Walker, Delle Ali on his day, John Stones. But none of them are world class.

I think Lingard is the one who will surprise the most people, he seems to link up well with our current attacking options

Vardy again is a bit of an unknown quantity on the international scene

In terms of attacking full backs, we are well stocked and pretty healthy in comparison to rival nations

I personally think this side is far better to watch than the golden generation and capable of competing provided the defence can be sorted out

If they played the Golden Generation side they'd have had all the ball and get done from a set piece

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024