Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Kane 10:13 - May 18 with 22031 viewsHeathlander

Is he world class?
Harry Kane on 10:16 - May 18 with 6838 viewsitfcjoe

Yes

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Harry Kane on 10:18 - May 18 with 6820 viewshammo56

Nope.
Harry Kane on 10:19 - May 18 with 6824 viewschicoazul

Regularly have this argument. No, not quite. The highest levels of football are the World Cup Champions League and to a slightly lesser extent South American WC qualifying. He hasn't really done anything in the WC yet, he has done ok in the CL but Spurs havent done much. For me true world class is players who do it at the absolute top level consistently and I dont mean turkey shoots against Andorra or Gibraltar in qualifying matches so Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Griezmann, Aguero, James Rodruguez. Kane is just a level below world elite.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Harry Kane on 10:21 - May 18 with 6803 viewsHeathlander

Harry Kane on 10:19 - May 18 by chicoazul

Regularly have this argument. No, not quite. The highest levels of football are the World Cup Champions League and to a slightly lesser extent South American WC qualifying. He hasn't really done anything in the WC yet, he has done ok in the CL but Spurs havent done much. For me true world class is players who do it at the absolute top level consistently and I dont mean turkey shoots against Andorra or Gibraltar in qualifying matches so Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Griezmann, Aguero, James Rodruguez. Kane is just a level below world elite.

I think you are spot on. My thoughts too. I hope I am proved wrong :)
Harry Kane on 10:21 - May 18 with 6795 viewschicoazul

Harry Kane on 10:21 - May 18 by Heathlander

I think you are spot on. My thoughts too. I hope I am proved wrong :)

Long as he isnt taking corners this time we should be fine.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Harry Kane on 10:26 - May 18 with 6777 viewsunstableblue

I used to think no

But watched several games this season where his movement, on the ball ability, skill to make space, running on and off the ball, passing/crossing and of course scoring where of high calibre

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Harry Kane on 10:39 - May 18 with 6742 viewschristiand

I’m still not convinced. There’s no doubt he is a very good striker, but world class I’m not sure. When Spurs have really needed him in the big games recently, he’s gone missing - I think of both the Manchester City league games, the second leg of Juventus CL tie and the Manchester United FA Cup semi final. It could be argued that he isn't fully fit and has been rushed back, so jury still out for me. The World Cup will be an interesting watch, hope Kane proves he is world class there!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Harry Kane on 10:54 - May 18 with 6703 viewsrickw

I believe he is but he needs to prove it in this World Cup or the latter stages of the Champions League

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Login to get fewer ads

Harry Kane on 10:56 - May 18 with 6698 viewsBluebell

I always think a player is only good if the team around him are good too.

If he had been playing at Ipswich last season I doubt he would have scored as many. In fact he would probably been playing at right back!
Harry Kane on 11:02 - May 18 with 6684 viewsWestSussexBlue

Harry Kane on 10:39 - May 18 by christiand

I’m still not convinced. There’s no doubt he is a very good striker, but world class I’m not sure. When Spurs have really needed him in the big games recently, he’s gone missing - I think of both the Manchester City league games, the second leg of Juventus CL tie and the Manchester United FA Cup semi final. It could be argued that he isn't fully fit and has been rushed back, so jury still out for me. The World Cup will be an interesting watch, hope Kane proves he is world class there!

Agree entirely
Harry Kane on 11:05 - May 18 with 6673 viewswkj

If he keeps his form I reckon (hope) he will psh all over Rooney's caps/goals tally. I know ther eis the debate on whether or not he was any good, but all told; I just don't like him.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Harry Kane on 11:16 - May 18 with 6651 viewslocalboy78

Harry Kane on 10:39 - May 18 by christiand

He was superb against real madrid though...
Harry Kane on 11:19 - May 18 with 6634 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane on 10:19 - May 18 by chicoazul

What's Aguero done in the World Cup and later stages of the CL to be world class when Kane isn't? Rodriguez is a contentious inclusion too imo, Kane has produced far more consistently in recent years than James has.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harry Kane on 11:21 - May 18 with 6630 viewsHennikerBlu

An excellent Prem player, no doubt, but in the Euros I felt he seemed to have little impact, excepting of course, the bizarre corner kick duties did not help etc.

I also wonder whether we are going to have another Rooney or Owen scenario where the pressure is on the big name and they don't always deliver on the international stage. Though taking either of them with an injury or recovering wasn't helpful.

I am probably more of Vardy fan, but there is no doubt Kane is a more rounded player and has the potential to be a world class striker.

I do hope Southgate is not afraid to drop players and ignore the media; those that might be great for their club but can't do it on the International stage. I am fed up of watching the best of the English Prem players looking lost on the big stage. The country deserves better.
Harry Kane on 11:22 - May 18 with 6628 viewswkj

Harry Kane on 11:21 - May 18 by HennikerBlu

An excellent Prem player, no doubt, but in the Euros I felt he seemed to have little impact, excepting of course, the bizarre corner kick duties did not help etc.

I also wonder whether we are going to have another Rooney or Owen scenario where the pressure is on the big name and they don't always deliver on the international stage. Though taking either of them with an injury or recovering wasn't helpful.

I am probably more of Vardy fan, but there is no doubt Kane is a more rounded player and has the potential to be a world class striker.

I do hope Southgate is not afraid to drop players and ignore the media; those that might be great for their club but can't do it on the International stage. I am fed up of watching the best of the English Prem players looking lost on the big stage. The country deserves better.

Hodgson's tactical handling of Euros was so utterly baffling, I think it is unfair to judge Kane too much on that.

Crybaby

Harry Kane on 11:23 - May 18 with 6618 viewsMonkey_Blue

Potentially... he’s not proven it yet but that doesn’t mean he isn’t. He’s done plenty for his age
Harry Kane on 11:24 - May 18 with 6616 viewschicoazul

Harry Kane on 10:56 - May 18 by Bluebell

I always think a player is only good if the team around him are good too.

If he had been playing at Ipswich last season I doubt he would have scored as many. In fact he would probably been playing at right back!

Maradona carried a generally-poor Argentina side to two WC finals back to back and won one. There were no real stars in the Napoli team either. I appreciate he is a bit of an exception but this is basically the "could he do it on a wet Wednesday at Stoke" argument.

Harry Kane on 11:25 - May 18 with 6614 viewschicoazul

Harry Kane on 11:19 - May 18 by Herbivore

What's Aguero done in the World Cup and later stages of the CL to be world class when Kane isn't? Rodriguez is a contentious inclusion too imo, Kane has produced far more consistently in recent years than James has.

That is a fair point. I may be over-estimating him but he always comes to mind when I think of top players below the Messi Ronaldo level.

EDIT; James has a great record at international level and South America WC qualifiers (and Copa America to a lesser extent) may be the consistently highest level of football in the world. That makes him truly world class for me, to say nothing of his club career.
[Post edited 18 May 2018 11:30]

Harry Kane on 11:27 - May 18 with 6608 viewsNazemariner

4 consecutive seasons where he has notched a hat full in PL, along with a fair few in European competition.

I think he is the ONLY world class English player.
Harry Kane on 11:29 - May 18 with 6599 viewschristiand

Harry Kane on 11:19 - May 18 by Herbivore

Is anyone disputing that Rodriquez is world class? That's you Herbivore, in a room on your own, starting an argument with yourself. For me, when you are looking at 'world class' its plays like: Messi, Neymar, Buffon and Ronaldo that type of ilk. Do they deliver on the big stage? They'll have games when they are quiet, but generally it's hard to disagree that they don't. Kane still has some way to go to prove he is in the same breath as those players and some others, but he certainly has potential.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Harry Kane on 11:29 - May 18 with 6596 viewswkj

Harry Kane on 11:27 - May 18 by Nazemariner

4 consecutive seasons where he has notched a hat full in PL, along with a fair few in European competition.

Add to that the fact he's mentally tuned in (so it would seem) - He's not out on the lash driving his female friend home, Messing about with grannies and cheating on his missus, so- there is that

Crybaby

Harry Kane on 11:31 - May 18 with 6579 viewschicoazul

Harry Kane on 11:27 - May 18 by Nazemariner

We have 4 or 5 decent players. Kane Sterling Kyle Walker, Delle Ali on his day, John Stones. But none of them are world class.

Harry Kane on 11:38 - May 18 with 6565 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yes.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Harry Kane on 11:44 - May 18 with 6556 viewswkj

Harry Kane on 11:31 - May 18 by chicoazul

We have 4 or 5 decent players. Kane Sterling Kyle Walker, Delle Ali on his day, John Stones. But none of them are world class.

*except for Harry Kane

Crybaby

Harry Kane on 11:46 - May 18 with 6550 viewsWeekender

Why does it matter? Put him in that category or don't what difference does it make to anything?

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024