Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football has moved on? 12:50 - May 4 with 1765 viewsswede

Is "football has moved on" just another lazy phrase like "be careful what you wish for"?
I would be interested to know, if that is true, why George Burley and Terry Butcher could not have moved on too like others of their generation still doing a good job.
There is no doubt in my mid that his style of football was the most exciting we have seen at PR since Sir Bobby. What is there to stop that being replicated today?

I have very little coaching knowledge, but am genuinely puzzled by the phrase.
Football has moved on? on 12:59 - May 4 with 1730 viewsIllinoisblue

well said. I'm not sure Burley is the answer but critics who say "football has moved on" are being lazy. At its core, football is a rather simple game. To suggest that a man who played for 20 years and managed for 20 years wouldn't be able to comprehend today's game is laughable.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Football has moved on? on 12:59 - May 4 with 1727 viewschristiand

I believe GB's footballing philosophy would actually suit today's football climate. At the very least we will all know as we walk down Portman Walk, Ipswich are going to play some decent football today.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Football has moved on? on 13:25 - May 4 with 1689 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very much agree, its a pointless phrase and ignores any sort of context.

Football is a simple game.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Football has moved on? on 13:28 - May 4 with 1681 viewsDanFord

Very lazy. Just like football has moved on from Wenger. No it really hasn't. Arsenal's demise came with a new stadium and four of five other clubs spending £60m, £70m and £80m on players. It is only in the last couple of years that Arsenal have started to spend £40m and that's on a player per year, while City and United go out and spend £300m in one window. Why would Burley struggle but not Warnock or Bruce or any of the other managers he used to go head to head with.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Football has moved on? on 13:29 - May 4 with 1679 viewsWD19

The role of a football manager will me materially different now to the role 15 years ago. As with many senior management roles in society, things are very different now to in the past.

An individuals ability to adapt and succeed will differ on a case by case basis. The first step is to acknowledge that things have changed.
Football has moved on? on 13:48 - May 4 with 1651 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Football has moved on? on 13:29 - May 4 by WD19

The role of a football manager will me materially different now to the role 15 years ago. As with many senior management roles in society, things are very different now to in the past.

An individuals ability to adapt and succeed will differ on a case by case basis. The first step is to acknowledge that things have changed.

15 years is a convenient benchmark.

7 years would be a more relevant benchmark.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Football has moved on? on 14:17 - May 4 with 1617 viewsBecclesITFC

One of the biggest areas i think the game has moved on is that there are not really any easy games anymore. I can remember licking my lips many home games under Burley thinking we would get 3 or 4 today.

too many teams set up not too loose these days. Mourinho has done this all his career.
Football has moved on? on 15:34 - May 4 with 1581 viewschristiand

Football has moved on? on 14:17 - May 4 by BecclesITFC

One of the biggest areas i think the game has moved on is that there are not really any easy games anymore. I can remember licking my lips many home games under Burley thinking we would get 3 or 4 today.

too many teams set up not too loose these days. Mourinho has done this all his career.

Or is that down to our low expectations as fans now of ITFC? Under MM we were never really that expansive in our play, to score a couple of goals in game was sometimes a surprise. I wonder if Wolves or Fulham supporters think the same? Clearly I have no idea, but I bet they now go into games thinking, 'We could score a hatful today.'
[Post edited 4 May 2018 15:56]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024