Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... 19:36 - Apr 30 with 16494 viewsSlambo

...but why do so many mock their East Anglian accents..? I've got a humdinger of one, proud of it, and ham it up to bemused locals on every away day. I wish more of us embraced it, rather than some horrendous Essex accent, Generic Southern English, or - the absolute worst - south London yardie rudeboy...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:38 - Apr 30 with 9125 viewsSpruceMoose

The Suffolk and Norfolk accents are not the same. That's why.

The Suffolk accent is a gentle country lilt. The Norfolk accent is a horrendous, garbled slack jawed drawl which only goes to demonstrate the bad genes and low intellect of the speaker.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:41 - Apr 30 with 9100 viewsLord_Lucan

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:38 - Apr 30 by SpruceMoose

The Suffolk accent is a gentle country lilt. The Norfolk accent is a horrendous, garbled slack jawed drawl which only goes to demonstrate the bad genes and low intellect of the speaker.

They are both daft, Norwich much worse though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:43 - Apr 30 with 9090 viewsSpruceMoose

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:41 - Apr 30 by Lord_Lucan

They are both daft, Norwich much worse though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:49 - Apr 30 with 9046 viewsgtsb

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:53 - Apr 30 with 9033 viewshorsehollerer

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:38 - Apr 30 by SpruceMoose

Not always that black and white. On the border, where I'm from, it's more of a moderately garbled slack-jawed country lilt.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:55 - Apr 30 with 9026 viewsSpruceMoose

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:53 - Apr 30 by horsehollerer

Not always that black and white. On the border, where I'm from, it's more of a moderately garbled slack-jawed country lilt.

Frankly, in the border lands, you need to pick a side and stick to it. No room for fence sitters!

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 20:31 - Apr 30 with 8948 viewshorsehollerer

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 19:55 - Apr 30 by SpruceMoose

Frankly, in the border lands, you need to pick a side and stick to it. No room for fence sitters!

Talking of picking sides, my dad is a Norwich fan but foolishly took me to a game at Portman Road when I was a kid. Big mistake.

If anyone knows a better way of winding up a budgie than being their son and pledging a lifetime allegiance to Ipswich from 8 years old, I'd like to hear it!

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 20:33 - Apr 30 with 8937 viewsSlambo

Saahhry Sproocey me owl' daahlin' oi can't quoite agree wiv yer thayer. Only difference I can discern between the two is that budgie-side the rounded 'o' gets narrowed and elongated to an 'oo', so you'll hear a Norwich native often say something like 'hoopefully we'll win a proper troophy some day.' You know, something like that. Or even 'oi et some of Delia Smiff's food yesdy an oi spent moosta the evenin' on th' paan'...

But otherwise, for all our other differences, we are the keepers of the finest accent in the English language and they should blimmin well make everyone in England speak like us...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Login to get fewer ads

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 21:50 - Apr 30 with 8819 viewsjontysnut

Chris Sutton and Terry Butcher on the radio - Terry has a nice Suffolk lilt whereas Sutton sounds like the simpleton love child of the Singing Postman
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 22:07 - Apr 30 with 8781 viewsMelford

I find it interesting that Devon/Cornwall/Somerset have an oo-arr accent and Suffolk/Norfolk has the same thing. The two most rural areas in the country in East Anglia and the West Country have similar was of speaking.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 22:29 - Apr 30 with 8733 viewsstonojnr

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 22:07 - Apr 30 by Melford

I find it interesting that Devon/Cornwall/Somerset have an oo-arr accent and Suffolk/Norfolk has the same thing. The two most rural areas in the country in East Anglia and the West Country have similar was of speaking.

no we dont, they are completely different and are only mistaken as the same thing by Londoners and people who cast television series, Toby Jones spent most of the Detectorists sounding like he was stuck reading scripts from Poldark.

proper Suffolk accent speakers do not sound like backing vocals to the Wurzels
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 07:23 - May 1 with 8524 viewsBlueBadger

From this, I can only conclude that Grimbenters is actually from Norfolk.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 07:49 - May 1 with 8484 viewsBenters2

We have loads of Londoners moved into our once great village,and they take the piss out of my beautiful North Essex/Suffolk accent,w@nkers they are.
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 07:51 - May 1 with 8479 viewsBenters2

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 07:23 - May 1 by BlueBadger

From this, I can only conclude that Grimbenters is actually from Norfolk.

Balls.
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 07:51 - May 1 with 8480 viewsBlueLikeJazz

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 22:07 - Apr 30 by Melford

You what?! They're completely different, you must have tin ears!
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 07:51 - May 1 with 8480 viewsMeadowlark

No. Totally different.
[Post edited 1 May 2018 7:52]
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 08:38 - May 1 with 8407 viewsGeoffSentence

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 20:33 - Apr 30 by Slambo

Saahhry Sproocey me owl' daahlin' oi can't quoite agree wiv yer thayer. Only difference I can discern between the two is that budgie-side the rounded 'o' gets narrowed and elongated to an 'oo', so you'll hear a Norwich native often say something like 'hoopefully we'll win a proper troophy some day.' You know, something like that. Or even 'oi et some of Delia Smiff's food yesdy an oi spent moosta the evenin' on th' paan'...

But otherwise, for all our other differences, we are the keepers of the finest accent in the English language and they should blimmin well make everyone in England speak like us...

There is the pure Ipswich oddity of adding extra vowels, that you don't even get in the rest of Suffolk let alone North of the border.

Moo-en, shoo-ers. **

That's moon and shoes in received pronunciation.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:02 - May 1 with 8376 viewsITFC_Forever

There is definitely a distinction between the Ipswich accent and the wider Suffolk accent.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:13 - May 1 with 8356 viewsPinewoodblue

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:02 - May 1 by ITFC_Forever

There is definitely a distinction between the Ipswich accent and the wider Suffolk accent.

When lived and worked in Norwich had a colleague who could identify which part of Norfolk someone was from by their accent. Noreich accent is far harsher than standard Norfolk accent.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:14 - May 1 with 8352 viewsStuartBrett8

I'm in Lowestoft and the thing that boils my p*ss, and this seems a good thread to vent is locals adding an extra 's' to everything. Going to ASDA's, Oulton Broad's, The Spring Tide's (crap restaraunt).

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:19 - May 1 with 8334 viewsDeano69

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 20:33 - Apr 30 by Slambo

Up the Towen

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:35 - May 1 with 8292 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 07:49 - May 1 by Benters2

We have loads of Londoners moved into our once great village,and they take the piss out of my beautiful North Essex/Suffolk accent,w@nkers they are.

People mention the 'Essex accent' and think it is guttural London. Maybe in parts of South Essex but certainly not the whole County. I'm from Braintree and have an accent but fewer and fewer people do now as outsiders move into town.
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:39 - May 1 with 8277 viewsGeoffSentence

To bring this right into the 21at century, we have recently acquired an Echo, and Alex's is handling the East Anglian accents dry well indeed.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:43 - May 1 with 8268 viewsgiant_stow

Is there a Cambridge accent? I have a good mate who's lived in Norwich for ages, so I can;t be sure if his very gentle occasional twang is a result of living in the land of milk and honey or if it's from home.

Edit: Love 'Norfolk' myself - west country accents seem softer though and more 'traditional yokel'. Personally, I speak north london, not cockney.
[Post edited 1 May 2018 9:45]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 10:15 - May 1 with 8225 viewsHerbivore

I like the Norfolk and Suffolk accents, they both sound like yokels but I like it. I think only people with Suffolk and Norfolk accents think that there's a massive difference between the two accents. There really isn't, both full bumpkin.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024