Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fieldfares 09:56 - Feb 28 with 5411 viewsGeoffSentence

There's a small flock of them squabbling over crab apples in my garden. Only seen them in theopen fields before.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Fieldfares on 09:57 - Feb 28 with 4338 viewsartsbossbeard

Super!

Where there's Fieldfares, there's normally Waxwings too...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Fieldfares on 10:02 - Feb 28 with 4326 viewsGeoffSentence

Fieldfares on 09:57 - Feb 28 by artsbossbeard

Super!

I would be delighted to get waxwings,there is one fieldfare jealously guarding the tree,so even if luck brought me waxwings it may fight them off.

Fieldfares on 10:23 - Feb 28 with 4304 viewsLord_Lucan

Super!

I'll get my air gun out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fieldfares on 10:36 - Feb 28 with 4287 viewsGeoffSentence

Fieldfares on 10:23 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

I'll get my air gun out.

Ever tried waxwing pie?

Fieldfares on 10:47 - Feb 28 with 4286 viewsPhilTWTD

Super!

Coincidentally, my wife's been trying to ascertain the identity of a bird in our crab apple tree in our garden this morning, which she thought might be a mistlethrush but didn't think it looked quite like one. Also appears to be a fieldfare.

And I saw some birds with tufts off the back of their heads on the same tree last week, which looking at it seem to have been waxwings. The more ornithologically-minded Mrs H says she sees them fairly regularly.
Fieldfares on 10:52 - Feb 28 with 4266 viewsGeoffSentence

Fieldfares on 10:47 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

Coincidentally, my wife's been trying to ascertain the identity of a bird in our crab apple tree in our garden this morning, which she thought might be a mistlethrush but didn't think it looked quite like one. Also appears to be a fieldfare.

And I saw some birds with tufts off the back of their heads on the same tree last week, which looking at it seem to have been waxwings. The more ornithologically-minded Mrs H says she sees them fairly regularly.

Yep that is a fieldfare.

Fieldfares on 10:58 - Feb 28 with 4262 viewsjimsymBLUE

Yeah that's a fieldfare. The robins, blackbirds and tits of all persuasions are squabbling like bugg*ry over the food I've just put out. Magpies moving in...air gun at the ready.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Fieldfares on 10:59 - Feb 28 with 4264 viewsartsbossbeard

The twitcher community love Fieldfares. They're a squabble- some bird, so plenty of opportunity for slo-mo "fighty" pictures with the added whammy of Waxwings being in close attendance too.

Open up your garden, charge £1 a coffee and you'll be laughing.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Login to get fewer ads

Fieldfares on 11:08 - Feb 28 with 4243 viewsPhilTWTD

Fieldfares on 10:59 - Feb 28 by artsbossbeard

The twitcher community love Fieldfares. They're a squabble- some bird, so plenty of opportunity for slo-mo "fighty" pictures with the added whammy of Waxwings being in close attendance too.

Quite literally charging a fieldfare.
Fieldfares on 11:18 - Feb 28 with 4225 viewsmojo

Super!

Not to mention Redwings, our prettiest regular thrush by some way in my opinion.
Fieldfares on 11:20 - Feb 28 with 4213 viewsDubtractor

I live near holywells park and quite often get fieldfares in our garden from there over winter.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Fieldfares on 11:21 - Feb 28 with 4212 viewsgerard1947

I'm not fan of snow but does bring normally shy birds closer for us to see. A country walk shows evidence of all sorts activity. Deer, fox badger footprints etc. A few years back at Wicken fen I saw obvious otter tracks in the snow although I've walked there thousands of times I've never seen an actual otter.

Important point to remember for our feathered friends is water, pop out a few times a day to make sure there's some available.
Fieldfares on 11:55 - Feb 28 with 4160 viewsGeoffSentence

Fieldfares on 11:21 - Feb 28 by gerard1947

I'm not fan of snow but does bring normally shy birds closer for us to see. A country walk shows evidence of all sorts activity. Deer, fox badger footprints etc. A few years back at Wicken fen I saw obvious otter tracks in the snow although I've walked there thousands of times I've never seen an actual otter.

Important point to remember for our feathered friends is water, pop out a few times a day to make sure there's some available.

Given the icy conditions i will pop a drop of anti freeze in.

Fieldfares on 12:02 - Feb 28 with 4147 viewsgerard1947

Fieldfares on 11:55 - Feb 28 by GeoffSentence

Given the icy conditions i will pop a drop of anti freeze in.

Careful there might be people on here that do know you are joking!
Fieldfares on 12:24 - Feb 28 with 4108 viewsbluejake78

I've god some nice fat balls hanging on my plum tree to attract the tits.
Fieldfares on 12:26 - Feb 28 with 4095 viewsartsbossbeard

Fieldfares on 12:24 - Feb 28 by bluejake78

I've god some nice fat balls hanging on my plum tree to attract the tits.

Starting a PR attendance thread on here does exactly the same.

Fieldfares on 15:10 - Feb 28 with 4002 viewsartsbossbeard

Fieldfare update: 1x eating berries in Beard Gardens presently.

And a couple of Redwings have joined the berry eating party. C'mon Waxwings, show your faces.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 15:28]

Fieldfares on 11:07 - Mar 1 with 3881 viewsGeoffSentence

Fieldfares on 15:10 - Feb 28 by artsbossbeard

Fieldfare update: 1x eating berries in Beard Gardens presently.

And a couple of Redwings have joined the berry eating party. C'mon Waxwings, show your faces.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 15:28]

My bully fieldfare is back today No sign of waxwkngs.

Fieldfares on 11:09 - Mar 1 with 3878 viewsPhilTWTD

Fieldfares on 11:07 - Mar 1 by GeoffSentence

My bully fieldfare is back today No sign of waxwkngs.

We've got two today, fighting as predicted elsewhere in this thread. No waxwings since last week though.
Fieldfares on 11:15 - Mar 1 with 3874 viewsBluebell

What amazes me is that the stupid birds spend more time trying to protect their territories than feeding.

I watched 2 male robins spend 10 minutes chasing each other away from the food.

So far this morning I have seen 2 fieldfares, dozens of great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits, chaffinches, a wagtail which comes every day (nicknamed Waggy of course) robins, blackbirds, nut hatches and 2 great spotted woodpeckers. Also collared doves, pigeons, jackdaws and thrushes.

I haven't done any work yet!
Fieldfares on 11:16 - Mar 1 with 3872 viewsBackToRussia

Fieldfares on 10:59 - Feb 28 by artsbossbeard

What's the big deal? They look like slightly less dull starlings.

Gimme a magpie any day.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Fieldfares on 11:18 - Mar 1 with 3869 viewsartsbossbeard

Fieldfares on 11:15 - Mar 1 by Bluebell

What amazes me is that the stupid birds spend more time trying to protect their territories than feeding.

I watched 2 male robins spend 10 minutes chasing each other away from the food.

So far this morning I have seen 2 fieldfares, dozens of great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits, chaffinches, a wagtail which comes every day (nicknamed Waggy of course) robins, blackbirds, nut hatches and 2 great spotted woodpeckers. Also collared doves, pigeons, jackdaws and thrushes.

I haven't done any work yet!

Redwings aplenty this morning over in IP8. Not seen the Fieldfares as yet today though.

Long Tailed Tits and Magpies out and about too.

Fieldfares on 11:25 - Mar 1 with 3859 viewsGeoffSentence

Fieldfares on 11:16 - Mar 1 by BackToRussia

Gimme a magpie any day.

A bird based wind up.surely that is a first for twtd.

Fieldfares on 11:33 - Mar 1 with 3853 viewsjimsymBLUE

Fieldfares on 11:16 - Mar 1 by BackToRussia

Gimme a magpie any day.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Fieldfares on 11:33 - Mar 1 with 3851 viewsBackToRussia

Fieldfares on 11:25 - Mar 1 by GeoffSentence

A bird based wind up.surely that is a first for twtd.

haha the thing is I'm serious.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024