Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kieron’s autobiography. 08:48 - Feb 24 with 4103 viewsSuperfrans

Finished it last night - a really excellent read. If you have nothing better to do today, grab a copy and sit in the warm and read it (or on the train / coach up to Preston). It’s the kind of book you could comfortably finish in a day.

The first quarter covers his growing up in Ipswich, the abuse he suffered at the hands of his great uncle and his spell as a player at Portman Road. Obviously, the abuse is awful to read about, but the book doesn’t dwell on it - there’s plenty on his relationship with other players, with Burley and Sheepshanks (sadly they fell out when he left), George Williams’ mature reaction to being dropped for 17yo Kieron, His disappointment at not getting promoted with us etc. It’s clear that he loves the club deeply.

On his various shenanigans at Newcastle, he makes no excuses, he recognises his immaturity, explains some of the background to the “roasting” incident, the fight with Bowyer etc and there’s lots on his “father, son” relationship with Sir Bobby etc.

Reading about his injury woes, it seems clear that he suffered from a botched operation on a broken leg and subsequent misdiagnosis by various physios/doctors etc.

I came away thinking he was a decent fella, I respected him even more than before, someone who made big mistakes in not looking after himself in his early years, but who blames no-one, wishes he could have his time again and would do things very differently.

Very good book. Highly recommended.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Kieron’s autobiography. on 14:41 - Feb 24 with 712 viewstractorboy1978

I found the 'fun and games' around his first proper contract at Town and the treatment of him when he left with the loyalty bonus quite eye opening. Really does just re-affirm that clubs have little loyalty or morals either despite players getting a lot of stick for it themselves.
Kieron’s autobiography. on 14:46 - Feb 24 with 706 viewstractorboy1978

Also interesting that Peter Taylor shares my opinion that he had the ability to be talked about in the same breath as the likes of Gerrard and Lampard.
Kieron’s autobiography. on 14:58 - Feb 24 with 690 viewsLord_Lucan

Kieron’s autobiography. on 14:46 - Feb 24 by tractorboy1978

Also interesting that Peter Taylor shares my opinion that he had the ability to be talked about in the same breath as the likes of Gerrard and Lampard.

I would have to say that Kieron was better than both of those two. I think he b4ggered things up to be honest by way of his dedication and lifestyle. I really like the bloke but he didn’t appreciate what he was blessed with - IMHO.

Looking back I think he was the most exciting young player that we have ever produced, maybe with the exception of Terry Butcher.

KD really had it all.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kieron’s autobiography. on 15:04 - Feb 24 with 675 viewsRadlett_blue

Kieron’s autobiography. on 14:58 - Feb 24 by Lord_Lucan

I would have to say that Kieron was better than both of those two. I think he b4ggered things up to be honest by way of his dedication and lifestyle. I really like the bloke but he didn’t appreciate what he was blessed with - IMHO.

Looking back I think he was the most exciting young player that we have ever produced, maybe with the exception of Terry Butcher.

KD really had it all.

Hmm...great pace & athleticism, but not a good finisher, unlike Gerrard & Lampard.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 15:10 - Feb 24 with 669 viewsLord_Lucan

Kieron’s autobiography. on 15:04 - Feb 24 by Radlett_blue

Hmm...great pace & athleticism, but not a good finisher, unlike Gerrard & Lampard.

I agree with that. Gerrard and Lampard were dynamite goal scorers. KD never had that ability - but I think he was so much more silky, if you know what I mean.

Injury free and on form he was an absolute master.

Edit: at the risk of possibly overblowing it he could breeze past a player similar to Gascoine - and Gascoine is the finest English player I have ever seen in my life.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 15:13]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kieron’s autobiography. on 16:33 - Feb 24 with 632 viewsSuperfrans

Kieron’s autobiography. on 14:58 - Feb 24 by Lord_Lucan

KD really had it all.

I’d certainly agree with that in the past 30 years. Hard to compare him with our players of the Seventies, but he’d be one of the few from the past three decades who might have a chance of getting a game when Sir Bobby was in charge.

Kieron’s autobiography. on 16:37 - Feb 24 with 628 viewsSuperfrans

Kieron’s autobiography. on 14:41 - Feb 24 by tractorboy1978

I found the 'fun and games' around his first proper contract at Town and the treatment of him when he left with the loyalty bonus quite eye opening. Really does just re-affirm that clubs have little loyalty or morals either despite players getting a lot of stick for it themselves.

Yes, that was surprising. I didn’t realise that at the time - it doesn’t reflect well on the club, to be honest.

I also thought his comment about the end of his contract at Middlesbrough was odd too. Mogga was going to pick him for the last game of the season, but Dyer told him that would trigger a clause which would cost the club £50,000 in wages, so Mogga didn’t pick him. It would have been his last ever match as a professional footballer. Why didn’t he just say he’d play, but would waive the wages?

Kieron’s autobiography. on 16:42 - Feb 24 with 627 viewsSuperfrans

Kieron’s autobiography. on 13:28 - Feb 24 by Radlett_blue

Yes, these guys definitely need agents, but sadly most of them are ripped off by them, although for less than they would otherwise be ripped off by their employers..
Wouldn't be hard to regulate the industry, & the FA have tried e.g. by banning dual representation but UEFA again have no interest in this.

I’m no fan of agents, but I’m not sure too many players are ripped off by agents - they take vast amounts of money out of the game, but only by increasing the players’ wages by more. As Joe says, Dyer definitely benefited from having an agent who (knowing the salaries being paid around the game) had a better idea of Dyer’s value and worth.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024