Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! 21:03 - Feb 23 with 1253 viewsRyorry

This wee chap or chappess has visited our table 3 times over the past few days -

Snow bunting more likely I suppose, but our visitor had much more white on it than either male or f images of those that I've seen.

Neighbour's seen it too, so am not imagining it!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 12:56 - Feb 24 with 1162 viewsChondzoresk

Definitely a Snow Bunting. But nice all the same though.
Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 13:22 - Feb 24 with 1143 viewsgerard1947

Wow that's a great visitor to have. I've seen winter flocks of snow buntings on the beach at Cley Norfolk on Christmas Day a few years back. I got a decent pic too.

I'm pretty sure that's what your visitor is.
Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 13:46 - Feb 24 with 1127 viewsRyorry

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 13:22 - Feb 24 by gerard1947

Wow that's a great visitor to have. I've seen winter flocks of snow buntings on the beach at Cley Norfolk on Christmas Day a few years back. I got a decent pic too.

I'm pretty sure that's what your visitor is.

Cheers both

Wow, the winter flocks on the beach must've been a helluva sight - one good thing to be found in Norfolk then anyway! ;)

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 14:16 - Feb 24 with 1109 viewsgordon

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 13:46 - Feb 24 by Ryorry

Cheers both

Wow, the winter flocks on the beach must've been a helluva sight - one good thing to be found in Norfolk then anyway! ;)

Hi Ryorry, it's likely to be a snow bunting but the plumage is pretty odd, and suggestive of something more unusual! The BTO are keen for people to send in photos of birds in gardens with abnormal plumages, if you send it in to gbw@bto.org (that's the garden birdwatch team) they'd likely get back to you with some interesting info.
Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 14:21 - Feb 24 with 1102 viewsgerard1947

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 13:46 - Feb 24 by Ryorry

Cheers both

I hate their football team but love the North Norfolk coast.

I had a small flock of whooper swans in the field at the bottom of my garden this winter. Get lots of them flying over and very occasionally common cranes. See these occasionally at Wicken Fen too. Big birds when you get close.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2018 14:28]
Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 14:25 - Feb 24 with 1093 viewsRyorry

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 14:16 - Feb 24 by gordon

Hi Ryorry, it's likely to be a snow bunting but the plumage is pretty odd, and suggestive of something more unusual! The BTO are keen for people to send in photos of birds in gardens with abnormal plumages, if you send it in to gbw@bto.org (that's the garden birdwatch team) they'd likely get back to you with some interesting info.

Brill, thanks will try, but struggling to get to grips with new Android, so have charged up old iPhone4 - won't do anything else, but might still do photos!

Plumage really is weird - like an all-white bird (about robin-sized or slightly smaller & slightly slimmer) that's sat down just as far as legs (but not including them) in a pot of beige-grey paint with a very neat concave line clean edge, no ragged colour. As tho top half of bird was sat in a 1/2 beige barrel with a dipping edge.

From what little I've read, it's suggested that hybrids may be possible?

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 14:57 - Feb 24 with 1077 viewsgerard1947

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 14:25 - Feb 24 by Ryorry

Brill, thanks will try, but struggling to get to grips with new Android, so have charged up old iPhone4 - won't do anything else, but might still do photos!

Plumage really is weird - like an all-white bird (about robin-sized or slightly smaller & slightly slimmer) that's sat down just as far as legs (but not including them) in a pot of beige-grey paint with a very neat concave line clean edge, no ragged colour. As tho top half of bird was sat in a 1/2 beige barrel with a dipping edge.

From what little I've read, it's suggested that hybrids may be possible?

You can get weird variations sometimes like pied blackbirds. Last year I had a blue tit who's upper bill had continued to grow it was about 2" long. It didn't seem to bother it at all it even raised a clutch of young.

There was a ruffus cuckoo at Wicken last year, they are exactly the same as a normal cuckoo, it's just a colour morph.
Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 15:17 - Feb 24 with 1062 viewsRyorry

Gerard about? If so, what are chances of seeing a McKays Bunting in Yorkshire?! on 14:57 - Feb 24 by gerard1947

You can get weird variations sometimes like pied blackbirds. Last year I had a blue tit who's upper bill had continued to grow it was about 2" long. It didn't seem to bother it at all it even raised a clutch of young.

There was a ruffus cuckoo at Wicken last year, they are exactly the same as a normal cuckoo, it's just a colour morph.

Ah right, ta.

Hope to get better view of beak ( thought pale yellow, but ..) & legs if it visits again, also I hope a re-listen of its call (vague memory of a quite loud & trilling alarm call as I got near window.) May get a better shot now window's unlocked - slightly dirty double glazing doesn't help!

Has been tucking into sunflower hearts out of preference to suet pellets, mealworms, or suet & peanut feeders.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024