Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... 17:54 - Feb 22 with 2931 viewsTristan90

This seems to be a big issue right now with all kinds of speculation (and some extremely specific figures!) being thrown around. We all know that the club publishes the 'official' attendances including all season tickets and match tickets sold and we all know that these figures are plainly fictional.

However, all the guess work and speculation doesn't actually achieve anything so I've sent a lovely email to Suffolk Police with an FOI request that they provide the actual through-the-turnstile attendances of this seasons matches if they have the data. Maybe then we can all moan with some facts...

Blog: Something Rotten

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 18:58 - Feb 22 with 2862 viewsOxford_Blue

And if it shows what you already think is the case anyway, then where does that take you?
All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:10 - Feb 22 with 2854 viewsazuremerlangus

It is quite clear that there a difference between ticket sales and the actual number who turn up. I also understand the business and tax reasons why they announce the former rather than the latter but describing it as an attendance figure is being very economical with the truth.

Some honestly would be refreshing so drop the words "todays attendance" and replace it with "total ticket sales for todays match".

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:21 - Feb 22 with 2818 viewssparks

Not convinced they will have the information.

And do you not think they have enough to do?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:21 - Feb 22 with 2806 viewsHerbivore

People are desperate to have something else to get their knickers in a twist about.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:21 - Feb 22 with 2809 viewssparks

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:10 - Feb 22 by azuremerlangus

It is quite clear that there a difference between ticket sales and the actual number who turn up. I also understand the business and tax reasons why they announce the former rather than the latter but describing it as an attendance figure is being very economical with the truth.

Some honestly would be refreshing so drop the words "todays attendance" and replace it with "total ticket sales for todays match".

"tax reasons"? Seriously...

Do explain.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:22 - Feb 22 with 2805 viewsBlueBadger

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:21 - Feb 22 by sparks

Not convinced they will have the information.

And do you not think they have enough to do?

'It's alright sarge, that fight in the town centre can wait, some pillock of TWTD needs to prove a point'

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:45 - Feb 22 with 2765 viewsTractorWood

The fact is that the turnstile figure will be lower than the published figure of tickets sold. Why can't people just accept this?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:52 - Feb 22 with 2749 viewsPhilTWTD

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:10 - Feb 22 by azuremerlangus

The EFL outline what makes up the officially announced attendance, not the club.
Login to get fewer ads

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:52 - Feb 22 with 2746 viewssparks

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:45 - Feb 22 by TractorWood

The fact is that the turnstile figure will be lower than the published figure of tickets sold. Why can't people just accept this?

Everyone does. So far as i can tell.

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 20:52 - Feb 22 with 2686 viewsazuremerlangus

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:52 - Feb 22 by PhilTWTD

The EFL outline what makes up the officially announced attendance, not the club.

It doesn't bother me who makes the rules - the term "attendance" to me (and I suspect many others) means how many have turned up and passed through the turnstiles. Buying a ticket for something and turning up to the event are two different things so pretending they are the same thing is disingenuous.

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 20:53 - Feb 22 with 2678 viewsazuremerlangus

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:21 - Feb 22 by sparks

"tax reasons"? Seriously...

Do explain.

No

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 21:05 - Feb 22 with 2648 viewsHerbivore

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 20:52 - Feb 22 by azuremerlangus

It doesn't bother me who makes the rules - the term "attendance" to me (and I suspect many others) means how many have turned up and passed through the turnstiles. Buying a ticket for something and turning up to the event are two different things so pretending they are the same thing is disingenuous.

You actually care? Blimey.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 21:16 - Feb 22 with 2640 viewsSarge

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 19:22 - Feb 22 by BlueBadger

'It's alright sarge, that fight in the town centre can wait, some pillock of TWTD needs to prove a point'

You called?
All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 22:42 - Feb 22 with 2553 viewsBloomBlue

Tax reasons????

A season ticket covers you for all home games, how the hell would it be for tax reasons...

I don't get why people get so upset about this all football clubs count season ticket holders by default they've done it for the last 15-20 years, Town did when Sheepshagger was here
All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 23:52 - Feb 22 with 2505 viewsBrightonEye

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 22:42 - Feb 22 by BloomBlue

Tax reasons????

A season ticket covers you for all home games, how the hell would it be for tax reasons...

I don't get why people get so upset about this all football clubs count season ticket holders by default they've done it for the last 15-20 years, Town did when Sheepshagger was here

Simple. Those 'pretendance' stats are ridiculous, and meaningless - except to the bean-counters.

But attendance - aka size of the crowd - is the truest measure of match-by-match support for your club.
All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 02:25 - Feb 23 with 2436 viewsacj

Clubs in Brazil announce the actual attendance and the number of tickets sold (which is actually a lower figure as they give away a fair number as freebies to associates of the club and families of academy players amongst others - normally a couple of thousand or so), and they also announce how much money they have raised from ticket sales. Apparently all due to the fact the clubs are 'sports societies' rather than private businesses and are therefore owned by the members of the society - the fans.

No real relevance to this post just thought I'd chuck in a little global context. Wish clubs back home ran on a similar model, gives fans in Brazil some opportunities we'll never have, particularly when they're not happy with how things are going. The side I follow in Rio - Fluminense - were right up against it last year and staring down relegation, so against a backdrop of brewing unrest the elected club president agreed to meet with the leaders of the 9 biggest ultra groups to discuss it all. The different groups had all been getting pretty aggro with each other over the 2/3 weeks previous but as a result of the meeting they agreed to sit together in one block of the Maracanã and to have no more infighting, and in return the president would sit down with the manager and tell him the fans were unhappy with the style of football and it had to change. End of the season rolled around and Flu had escaped relegation and risen up the table to qualify for the South American equivalent of the Europa League.

Contrast that with our invisible owner, reckon Marcus would be up for meeting up with fans to come up with a strategy to improve things on and off the pitch?

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 04:04 - Feb 23 with 2406 viewstextbackup

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 02:25 - Feb 23 by acj

Clubs in Brazil announce the actual attendance and the number of tickets sold (which is actually a lower figure as they give away a fair number as freebies to associates of the club and families of academy players amongst others - normally a couple of thousand or so), and they also announce how much money they have raised from ticket sales. Apparently all due to the fact the clubs are 'sports societies' rather than private businesses and are therefore owned by the members of the society - the fans.

No real relevance to this post just thought I'd chuck in a little global context. Wish clubs back home ran on a similar model, gives fans in Brazil some opportunities we'll never have, particularly when they're not happy with how things are going. The side I follow in Rio - Fluminense - were right up against it last year and staring down relegation, so against a backdrop of brewing unrest the elected club president agreed to meet with the leaders of the 9 biggest ultra groups to discuss it all. The different groups had all been getting pretty aggro with each other over the 2/3 weeks previous but as a result of the meeting they agreed to sit together in one block of the Maracanã and to have no more infighting, and in return the president would sit down with the manager and tell him the fans were unhappy with the style of football and it had to change. End of the season rolled around and Flu had escaped relegation and risen up the table to qualify for the South American equivalent of the Europa League.

Contrast that with our invisible owner, reckon Marcus would be up for meeting up with fans to come up with a strategy to improve things on and off the pitch?

if he ever wanted to meet with the fans it would be the sort of ITFC Tractor boy/girl weirdo you can imagine that he'd meet. it wouldn't be anyone that would put it to him straight.
be full on pussy footing around. much like when a few of the lads went to the AGM and put it to MM, nobody knew what to do.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 04:15 - Feb 23 with 2397 viewsBenters2

All this conjecture about 'genuine' attendances... on 04:04 - Feb 23 by textbackup

if he ever wanted to meet with the fans it would be the sort of ITFC Tractor boy/girl weirdo you can imagine that he'd meet. it wouldn't be anyone that would put it to him straight.
be full on pussy footing around. much like when a few of the lads went to the AGM and put it to MM, nobody knew what to do.

*Blue tinted specs to be warn at all times*
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024