Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes 23:49 - Feb 13 with 11696 viewsarc

Just home from watching Luton-Crawley at Kenilworth Road with friends. Flynn Downes played beautifully. He was the base of a midfield diamond, orchestrating the play and spreading the ball calmly, simply and sensibly. He consistently showed for the ball and made everyone around him better. He had a number of lovely turns that made space for himself; a few interceptions and a couple of blocks; a shot of his own that was charged down; and a clearance off the line. I think he only gave the ball away a couple of times. There was one lovely moment in the second half when he stroked an elegant, simple diagonal ball out to the right wing, and the Luton fans behind me were gasping and saying to each other "who hit that pass?? who hit that pass??"

That said, he threw himself into a 50-50 early on and was yellow-carded, when on another day he might have been sent off. As a result, I expected him to be subbed in the second half, but he played with sense (helped by the fact that Luton were cruising) and lasted the full 90.

We had Three Counties Radio on in the car on the way home. Their commentator had Flynn as his man of the match and was raving about him. Numerous texts and tweets agreed. And Nathan Jones, the Luton boss, had nice (if measured) things to say about him too.

All in all: why can't we get midfielders like him?? ;-)
Flynn Downes on 23:52 - Feb 13 with 9504 viewsACP84

He'll be a key player for us next season - thanks for the update
Flynn Downes on 23:58 - Feb 13 with 9466 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lovely stuff.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Flynn Downes on 00:31 - Feb 14 with 9404 viewssixtouchfootball

Cheers for the report. This is what loan time should be about. We might all rant he should be in our 11 but education is key!!
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 0:31]
Flynn Downes on 00:51 - Feb 14 with 9358 viewsGuthrum

Great stuff!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Flynn Downes on 05:06 - Feb 14 with 9229 viewsbraveblue

It is simply ridiculous that he does not get the chance to play in the Championship. The last 10 games would set him up for next season. But that may mean dropping Skuse. Unthinkable. McCarthy at his best.
Flynn Downes on 05:46 - Feb 14 with 9184 viewspeterleeblue

Flynn Downes on 05:06 - Feb 14 by braveblue

It is simply ridiculous that he does not get the chance to play in the Championship. The last 10 games would set him up for next season. But that may mean dropping Skuse. Unthinkable. McCarthy at his best.

I think MM's time is up here
However managing a football club is not just about the first team and what happens results wise.
On that basis I think he leaves us in decent shape.
Flynn Downes on 06:08 - Feb 14 with 9140 viewsfranco

And we've got exskuse , so help me god !!
Flynn Downes on 06:28 - Feb 14 with 9101 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes on 07:20 - Feb 14 with 8962 viewsSuperfrans

This is great to hear. I can see Flynn being one of the first names on the team sheet next season.

I know some people are disappointed he has gone off on loan, but playing 15-20 games in men’s league football between now and the end of the season will do him far more good than popping in and out of our first team for short spells. It will do wonders for his stamina and game management being be main man for half a season.

Good stuff.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Flynn Downes on 07:55 - Feb 14 with 8806 viewschristiand

Flynn Downes on 07:20 - Feb 14 by Superfrans

This is great to hear. I can see Flynn being one of the first names on the team sheet next season.

I know some people are disappointed he has gone off on loan, but playing 15-20 games in men’s league football between now and the end of the season will do him far more good than popping in and out of our first team for short spells. It will do wonders for his stamina and game management being be main man for half a season.

Good stuff.

Spot on Superfrans!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Flynn Downes on 07:56 - Feb 14 with 8808 viewsFtnfwest

We have, Gleeson, Downes won’t dislodge him
Flynn Downes on 08:10 - Feb 14 with 8759 viewsBrianTablet

Flynn Downes on 07:56 - Feb 14 by Ftnfwest

We have, Gleeson, Downes won’t dislodge him

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Flynn Downes on 08:14 - Feb 14 with 8737 viewsBlueBadger

Yeah, god forbid we send a promising youngster out to learn his trade and build confidence and experience playing consistently at a confident lower level side rather than have him warm the bench for a side in (at best) inconsistent form playing in front of a hostile(to their own team) home crowd. That's just management 101 innit.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Flynn Downes on 08:16 - Feb 14 with 8720 viewsjas0999

Good to hear him doing well. It will benefit him, but I still think he should be playing for us.
Flynn Downes on 08:39 - Feb 14 with 8652 viewsitfcjoe

Guy in one of my Whatsapp groups is a Luton fan

His review of Downes was just this gif

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Get him back for next season with a new technical manager on 08:44 - Feb 14 with 8596 viewsunstableblue

3-4 new signings of quality and watch his career fly.

Bring him back to play under Mick's caution first, low tempo guff, and watch him stall.

Another reason we need change, a manger to TRULY bring through youth.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Flynn Downes on 09:04 - Feb 14 with 8520 viewsTIB

Great to read your report. A Hatters fan in my office has said Flynn was just what they needed and he adds real quality to their midfield.

On another note...I watched George Fowler at Aldershot on Saturday and he looked very solid at the back, reading the game well and looking comfortable at that level. Great to see some good youth players coming through and hopefully we see more of them over the next few seasons.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Flynn Downes on 09:18 - Feb 14 with 8461 viewsbraveblue

Flynn Downes on 08:14 - Feb 14 by BlueBadger

Yeah, god forbid we send a promising youngster out to learn his trade and build confidence and experience playing consistently at a confident lower level side rather than have him warm the bench for a side in (at best) inconsistent form playing in front of a hostile(to their own team) home crowd. That's just management 101 innit.

Why not play him here, get experience and grow into the team? It’s not as if we have anyone on midfield who is looking better than average. That would be good management. Not asking someone else to do it.
Flynn Downes on 09:27 - Feb 14 with 8427 viewsBlueBadger

Flynn Downes on 09:18 - Feb 14 by braveblue

Why not play him here, get experience and grow into the team? It’s not as if we have anyone on midfield who is looking better than average. That would be good management. Not asking someone else to do it.

Because he's likely to see less game time, is returning from an injury and is in his first full season as a professional. Add in the fact that 'his' team are, at best wildly inconsistent, low on confidence and playing in front of a crowd that's liable to turn hostile pretty quickly it's pretty sound practice to have him out, playing full games, getting fit building confidence and developing his game rather than risking knocking by holding him here for appearances off the bench, U23 games and running the risk of impatient divs in the crowd looking for an excuse to have a go.
It's exactly what competent managers up and down the land have done for years.

I'm willing to bet that, were he playing here, you'd be whining about Mick 'ruining' him by 'making him hoof'.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 10:02]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Flynn Downes on 09:29 - Feb 14 with 8403 viewsDeano69

Flynn Downes on 05:46 - Feb 14 by peterleeblue

I think MM's time is up here
However managing a football club is not just about the first team and what happens results wise.
On that basis I think he leaves us in decent shape.

Can you remember what he inherited. Jeeeeez, ans Shudders. Definitely better off now than when he started.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 9:31]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Flynn Downes on 09:49 - Feb 14 with 8309 viewsGuthrum

Flynn Downes on 07:20 - Feb 14 by Superfrans

Good stuff.

Moreover, can you imagine being the bloke who comes into the team as the reinforcement which helps secure top spot in the division (and thus promotion)?

I know they were well ahead already, but as we know only too well, there's many a slip betwixt January and May.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Flynn Downes on 09:49 - Feb 14 with 8316 viewsnc41

Flynn Downes on 09:18 - Feb 14 by braveblue

I can only speak from rugby POV having played in the 2nd/3rd tier and coached. In the rugby world it is seen as hugely beneficial to send players to lower league clubs rather than blood them in the first team. They can play with an air of confidence, (from day 1) with a degree of freedom and without all the pressures of playing first team rugby. A couple of bad games and the fans get on your back is a real ambition killer. On DR/loan you can learn your trade and return with a clean slate having left the pains of the learning curve in a less intense league.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 9:50]
Flynn Downes on 10:18 - Feb 14 with 8175 viewssolemio

Flynn Downes on 06:08 - Feb 14 by franco

And we've got exskuse , so help me god !!

Exskuse? How did you manage to think this highly original thought?

Nearly as bad as Leadboots.
Flynn Downes on 10:45 - Feb 14 with 8073 viewsWickets

Thanks for the report OP. Much better to be reading this about one of our young players then see him sitting next to Webster on the bench.
Flynn Downes on 10:54 - Feb 14 with 8046 viewsNo9

Because we have at least one who MUST play
Thanks for the info
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024