Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from 21:22 - Jan 17 with 22465 viewscaught-in-limbo

Depression, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, ADHD, OCD or other mental health problems... or even those, like me, who are just interested in the subject.

There's an 8-part docuseries which started today and runs for the next 7 days.

The first episode which you have probably missed unless you're very quick was an intro to the topic. Tomorrow's episode will look at gut health and its affect on the brain.

Here's a trailer for the programme:

Here's where you sign up to view the episodes:
https://brokenbrain.com/trailer/
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 9:39]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Bigger heads up on 22:54 - Jan 18 with 2260 viewsRyorry

Bigger heads up on 21:36 - Jan 18 by BackToRussia

we could subsidise psychoanalytic sessions for those who want them and under a certain income threshold

we could trial people on certain psychoactive drugs like psilocybin, MDMA and LSD which have shown great effectiveness in reversing depression and tackling trauma

encourage people to volunteer on organic farms as a natural cheap way to combat depression while improving farm yields/knowledge of food

just some ideas loike

I used to offer this when I ran my organic smallholding; for the most part if worked very well -

http://www.wwoof.org.uk/

Dogs are now increasingly used in therapy - they help people relax and make connections - interesting interview & visit to a PRU (pupil referral unit, secure schools for youngsters with problems) on R5l yesterday morning.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bigger heads up on 22:55 - Jan 18 with 2254 viewsBackToRussia

Bigger heads up on 22:54 - Jan 18 by Ryorry

I used to offer this when I ran my organic smallholding; for the most part if worked very well -

http://www.wwoof.org.uk/

Dogs are now increasingly used in therapy - they help people relax and make connections - interesting interview & visit to a PRU (pupil referral unit, secure schools for youngsters with problems) on R5l yesterday morning.

I started off as a wwoofer! But in principle it's a idea easily achieved, any individual can approach a farm.

Dogs an obvious one aren't they. And why not utilise it. No end of dogs that need fostering!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Bigger heads up on 23:05 - Jan 18 with 2248 viewsRyorry

Bigger heads up on 22:55 - Jan 18 by BackToRussia

I started off as a wwoofer! But in principle it's a idea easily achieved, any individual can approach a farm.

Dogs an obvious one aren't they. And why not utilise it. No end of dogs that need fostering!

Oh right - did you ever consider going to one in N. Yorks in the mid/late 90s or 00ies?! ;)

Yes, considering Guide Dogs for the Blind, Assistance and PAT dogs have all been going for decades, you'd have thought roles for dogs in assisting with mental health & behavioural problems would be a lot more developed than is currently the case.

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 00:12 - Jan 19 with 2235 viewscaught-in-limbo

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 21:25 - Jan 18 by sparks

I don't think you understand what peer reviewed papers are.

You've linked a book review.

Which incidentally says. ..

To be fair, Perlmutter stops short of branding these therapies as outright “cures,” but he comes close on a number of occasions. The effect of this almost unrestrained enthusiasm is to charge the book with energy and excitement, but simultaneously undermines its scientific credibility.

https://www.dovepress.com/psychobiotics-and-the-gutndashbrain-axis-in-the-pursui

Now, how are you getting on with providing some substance to your rant earlier?

#toxic

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 00:43 - Jan 19 with 2223 viewsRyorry

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 00:12 - Jan 19 by caught-in-limbo

https://www.dovepress.com/psychobiotics-and-the-gutndashbrain-axis-in-the-pursui

Now, how are you getting on with providing some substance to your rant earlier?

That's a very interesting link, thanks.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 0:44]

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 00:54 - Jan 19 with 2213 viewscaught-in-limbo

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 00:43 - Jan 19 by Ryorry

That's a very interesting link, thanks.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 0:44]

Bearing in mind your own dietary requirements, I think you might find this a good springboard for further reading too:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1783750/

(I posted it earlier, but here it is again in case you missed it first time round).

#toxic

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 01:03 - Jan 19 with 2211 viewsRyorry

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 00:54 - Jan 19 by caught-in-limbo

Bearing in mind your own dietary requirements, I think you might find this a good springboard for further reading too:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1783750/

(I posted it earlier, but here it is again in case you missed it first time round).

Did see it, thanks. Worth doing a bit more research certainly.

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 03:43 - Jan 19 with 2183 viewsTLA

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 19:12 - Jan 18 by sparks

Indeed.

the problem I have with this stuff and with the OP- is not some reactionary response but a geneuine concern that many many people (probably a significant majority) would listen to such a video without actually doing the sort of basic checks on credibility that I would do.

Hyman appears to mix common sense about healthy eating and its benefits (whilst claiming its some clever knowledge that others ignore) with unjustified claims about direct medical connections with other things. He appears to mix up and obfuscate the line between obvious medical advice with which professionals would concur, with pseudoscience. Most people cant tell the difference, or dont think to investigate it or apply any scepticism.

Its all very well saying that we should be open to alternative ideas (we should- of course) but when those ideas are pushed around as fact, in professional looking videos, by people with qualifications there is a problem. People take this stuff on board and it becomes part of a received wisdom, despite having no apparent basis in science or fact.

You need a mechanism for sorting facts from supposition, from outright conjecture or deceit.

The people in this thread drawn to Dr Hyman's ideas and to the idea that this must have some merit, because traditional medicine is not a panacea (no one says it is of course- but it helps many people enormously...), need to ask themselves how they tell fact from fiction.

Do you accept that crystals help with mental illness? How about homeopathy? Reiki? Or magic F****** spells?

In the absence of decent peer reviewed studies there is nothing to differentiate Dr Hyman's claims from any of those things. People simply accept, whether in whole or part, this sort of stuff too often and it is actually harmful, imo, to spread it around without clear notes of caution (and even with them). This is how you get anti vaxxers. Or people reliant on "alternative remedies" when they need proper medical help. It also increases the willingness of people and society just to believe all sorts of woo, and to push the utterly fallacious idea that everyone's view can be "true for them" or should be given a fair hearing or equal merit- regardless of whether there is a shred of evidence to support it...
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 19:14]

'Do you accept that crystals help with mental illness? How about homeopathy? Reiki? Or magic F****** spells?'

I'll start my response by saying that I'm very much on the side of peer-reviewed studies and science and, personally, don't believe in any religion.

However, I don't rule things out that work for a person, in terms of the benefit to their mental health.

I've worked with hundreds of people with mental illnesses and medication, alongside recognised talking therapies, has been successful for many of them.

I've also worked closely with people for whom those haven't worked, but studying crystal healing and doing positive spells has. One person in particular deals with her psychosis using these methods, when psychiatry didn't help at all. Whether I believe in what she does is not really important - she's very well now, using her own belief system, when she wasn't before.

Spirituality is becoming a bigger part of how mental illness is viewed. Maybe having faith keeps some people alive. Going to church on a Sunday might mean exercise, connectedness, a sense of belonging etc. and those things contribute to better mental health.

It's a complicated issue and I've learnt to listen to each person I've worked with, rather than assuming that one thing works for everyone, based on diagnosis and recommended treatments.

I'll sign off with the old joke: when we talk to God it's called praying. When God talks to us, it's called schizophrenia.
Login to get fewer ads

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 08:00 - Jan 19 with 2151 viewslowhouseblue

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 21:59 - Jan 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

I get the healthy scepticism, it's the blind faith in the supposed detatched rationalism of scientists often in the pay of corporations with vested interests that bewilders me. The scientist from Monsanto says it doesn't give you cancer, it must be true because he/she is a scientist and have (maybe) been peer reviewed by other paid up scientists.

you seem to be muddling up 'science' with 'truth' and / or 'what scientists say'. science is a method for assessing and giving meaning to evidence. science is perfectly capable of challenging monsanto or supporting alternative therapies. it only depends on what the evidence shows. current treatments are certainly imperfect and do not work in every case - but they have a firm evidential base behind them. the stuff being pushed in the op has nothing more than anecdote and wishful thinking to back it up. it is also like snake oil in that it's practitioners are in it for the money.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

HEADS UP for those who suffer, or who have loved ones who suffer from on 09:37 - Jan 21 with 2073 viewscaught-in-limbo

BUMP

Episode 3/8 for anyone with Alzheimer's or multiple sclerosis in their families.

Also, when you register* you get access to the previous episodes.

*I haven't received an email selling anything yet. Nor have the 3 first videos attempted to sell "woo" products, in fact the only thing I've got is information, which is always welcome.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 9:40]

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024