Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on Moore 15:44 - Jan 5 with 2954 viewsclive_baker

He looked pony when he was here previously, albeit fresh from Forest Green reserves and trying to adapt. He's gone on loan, done well, we've milked it for a bit of cash and sold him to the highest bidder. No harm done and good luck to him. Am I disappointed? Not really, in truth. Having Moore back in the side would lead to one style of football that I was hoping to see the back of, and if he's not in the side then why keep him. Let him go, take the £750k. No biggie.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

My take on Moore on 16:00 - Jan 5 with 2915 viewshoppy

My take on that is this...

He looked pony when he was here previously, albeit fresh from Forest Green reserves and trying to adapt. He's gone on loan at a higher level than he was previously (2 levels up rather than the 3 he was asked to step up last season), done well and deserved a chance to see if he could continue at that level for the season that we'd got him out on loan for, knowing we had the option of another year on his contract or brought back to integrate into the squad as an alternative option, we've milked it for a bit of cash and sold him to the highest bidder that there is at the moment, without knowing if he would now be ready to step up that extra level. We hope there's no harm done and that it won't come back to bite us on the bum if he's worth £1-2 million or more in a year's time and good luck to him. Am I disappointed? A bit, in truth as it seemed he'd earned the right to be given another chance. Having Moore back in the side would allegedly lead to one style of football that I was hoping to see the back of without taking into account he's actually better with the ball to his feet than he is to his head, and if he's not in the side then why keep him. Let him go out on loan again - to Rotherham or somewhere else and see if he ends up worth more than the £750k he may fetch now, with the knowledge he's still our player to either use, or sell at a later point for an inflated fee.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

My take on Moore on 16:30 - Jan 5 with 2866 viewsclive_baker

My take on Moore on 16:00 - Jan 5 by hoppy

He looked pony when he was here previously, albeit fresh from Forest Green reserves and trying to adapt. He's gone on loan at a higher level than he was previously (2 levels up rather than the 3 he was asked to step up last season), done well and deserved a chance to see if he could continue at that level for the season that we'd got him out on loan for, knowing we had the option of another year on his contract or brought back to integrate into the squad as an alternative option, we've milked it for a bit of cash and sold him to the highest bidder that there is at the moment, without knowing if he would now be ready to step up that extra level. We hope there's no harm done and that it won't come back to bite us on the bum if he's worth £1-2 million or more in a year's time and good luck to him. Am I disappointed? A bit, in truth as it seemed he'd earned the right to be given another chance. Having Moore back in the side would allegedly lead to one style of football that I was hoping to see the back of without taking into account he's actually better with the ball to his feet than he is to his head, and if he's not in the side then why keep him. Let him go out on loan again - to Rotherham or somewhere else and see if he ends up worth more than the £750k he may fetch now, with the knowledge he's still our player to either use, or sell at a later point for an inflated fee.

Of course there is the risk that his stock falls in that period, he falls out of form or gets injured, and were left with him and can’t command anything like the figure we’ll get for him now.

As for him being better with his feet, on the occasions he played for us previously we made little or no attempt to establish that. It was very much long ball up to Moore on every occasion and I have no confidence that should he come back into our side we would do anything different to be honest.

My take on Moore on 16:36 - Jan 5 with 2854 viewsazuremerlangus

Take the easy money and run - the odds on getting even more isn't worth the gamble.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

My take on Moore on 17:27 - Jan 5 with 2794 viewsbournemouthblue

My take on Moore on 16:36 - Jan 5 by azuremerlangus

Take the easy money and run - the odds on getting even more isn't worth the gamble.

Getting £750k for one of League One's highest scorers is pretty ordinary in the modern market

We should be looking at £1 million plus

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

My take on Moore on 17:43 - Jan 5 with 2750 viewshoppy

My take on Moore on 16:30 - Jan 5 by clive_baker

Of course there is the risk that his stock falls in that period, he falls out of form or gets injured, and were left with him and can’t command anything like the figure we’ll get for him now.

As for him being better with his feet, on the occasions he played for us previously we made little or no attempt to establish that. It was very much long ball up to Moore on every occasion and I have no confidence that should he come back into our side we would do anything different to be honest.

If his stock falls, then so be it... he didn't cost us much in the first place. If he were to stay in League One on loan for the rest of the season to Rotherham, or someone else, we'd have a better idea than we do now. We are very good at selling players at the very first offer we get, and not very good at playing hard ball to get the maximum we can in the way that others, such as Peterborough, do.

My take on Moore on 17:44 - Jan 5 with 2746 viewsfactual_blue

I'd advise you not to take on more. You'd have to curtail your lunches to a mere 6.5 hours.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

My take on Moore on 17:46 - Jan 5 with 2741 viewshoppy

My take on Moore on 17:44 - Jan 5 by factual_blue

I'd advise you not to take on more. You'd have to curtail your lunches to a mere 6.5 hours.

Instead of the 2 ham rolls I ate at my desk today whilst carrying on working, you mean?

My take on Moore on 18:09 - Jan 5 with 2700 viewsPhilTWTD

Bit of a myth that he was in FGR's reserves when he moved here, he'd just won an England C cap and been on loan at a bigger club, Torquay, who he would probably have joined but for our interest.

And I'm not sure he always looked 'pony' when he was here, in particular he did well at Rotherham, which was what won him the move there. Clearly he didn't do enough to convince Mick he was an immediate first-teamer in those games - although to be fair it was a bit unfair to use those matches as his proving ground even if I think most understood what Mick was doing - and like you I'd have liked to have seen him after his spell at Rotherham to see how he's come on.

That said, can see why the club has decided to cash-in, £750,000 for a fifth-choice striker is a decent option.
Login to get fewer ads

My take on Moore on 18:14 - Jan 5 with 2677 viewsRadlett_blue

My take on Moore on 18:09 - Jan 5 by PhilTWTD

Bit of a myth that he was in FGR's reserves when he moved here, he'd just won an England C cap and been on loan at a bigger club, Torquay, who he would probably have joined but for our interest.

And I'm not sure he always looked 'pony' when he was here, in particular he did well at Rotherham, which was what won him the move there. Clearly he didn't do enough to convince Mick he was an immediate first-teamer in those games - although to be fair it was a bit unfair to use those matches as his proving ground even if I think most understood what Mick was doing - and like you I'd have liked to have seen him after his spell at Rotherham to see how he's come on.

That said, can see why the club has decided to cash-in, £750,000 for a fifth-choice striker is a decent option.

Presumably Mick has had him watched a few times this season?
Most of us are basing our opinion on either his cameos last season, in which he didn't impress, or on the goals he's been knocking in for Rotherham this season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

My take on Moore on 18:32 - Jan 5 with 2647 viewsclive_baker

My take on Moore on 18:09 - Jan 5 by PhilTWTD

Pony is perhaps harsh but I thought he looked completely out of his depth on the rare occasions he played for us, albeit in his defence living off scraps with 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there. To truly judge it would've been useful to see him start 5 or 6 matches. I don't recall Moore doing anything much against Rotherham TBH. He was thrown on alongside Pitman and put himself about, but not sure I saw any evidence of real quality. He had a few long balls pumped in his vague direction. I would be surprised if that cameo was sufficient evidence for Rotherham to sign him, or rather that Paul Warne was familiar with Moore from his links with Yeovil. I wasn't at all surprised Mick sent him out on loan and I'm fully supportive of selling him at this price too. Could well prove a mistake on our part but I guess time will tell, let's see if he's scoring goals at this level in a couple of seasons time. Good luck to him.

My take on Moore on 18:38 - Jan 5 with 2628 viewsTractorWood

My take on Moore on 18:32 - Jan 5 by clive_baker

Pony is perhaps harsh but I thought he looked completely out of his depth on the rare occasions he played for us, albeit in his defence living off scraps with 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there. To truly judge it would've been useful to see him start 5 or 6 matches. I don't recall Moore doing anything much against Rotherham TBH. He was thrown on alongside Pitman and put himself about, but not sure I saw any evidence of real quality. He had a few long balls pumped in his vague direction. I would be surprised if that cameo was sufficient evidence for Rotherham to sign him, or rather that Paul Warne was familiar with Moore from his links with Yeovil. I wasn't at all surprised Mick sent him out on loan and I'm fully supportive of selling him at this price too. Could well prove a mistake on our part but I guess time will tell, let's see if he's scoring goals at this level in a couple of seasons time. Good luck to him.

Looked out of his depth here in a few fleeting appearances. Scored umpteen goals for Rotherham in league one and we've received a decent bid for him. Take the money and wish him well. He was a punt who's come off.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

My take on Moore on 18:39 - Jan 5 with 2628 viewsstrikalite

My take on Moore on 18:14 - Jan 5 by Radlett_blue

Presumably Mick has had him watched a few times this season?
Most of us are basing our opinion on either his cameos last season, in which he didn't impress, or on the goals he's been knocking in for Rotherham this season.

I've watched him, certainly didn't stand out, I'll put my head on the block and say we've done the right thing for us and for him...

Marriott on the other hand worries me...but he's gone, I must move on :)
My take on Moore on 18:54 - Jan 5 with 2596 viewsclive_baker

My take on Moore on 18:39 - Jan 5 by strikalite

I've watched him, certainly didn't stand out, I'll put my head on the block and say we've done the right thing for us and for him...

Marriott on the other hand worries me...but he's gone, I must move on :)

For me the difference with Marriott is he's a guy who's scored goals his whole life at just about every level he's played at, be it youth football or professional, he's just not had an opportunity at this level yet. There are some players that just score goals, regardless of the level. Dwight Gayle and Jamie Vardy are other ones. Jordan Rhodes too. I would put Marriott in this category of footballer from what I've seen of him. The unknown of that is frustrating for us, I wish we had have given him a chance. Moore had a season at this level with Yeovil and the opportunities (albeit limited ones) with us last season and hasn't looked cut out for the Championship IMO, so I'm less concerned about this one. I would be surprised he he proves to be one that 'got away.' Marriott less so.

My take on Moore on 19:12 - Jan 5 with 2558 viewsstrikalite

My take on Moore on 18:54 - Jan 5 by clive_baker

For me the difference with Marriott is he's a guy who's scored goals his whole life at just about every level he's played at, be it youth football or professional, he's just not had an opportunity at this level yet. There are some players that just score goals, regardless of the level. Dwight Gayle and Jamie Vardy are other ones. Jordan Rhodes too. I would put Marriott in this category of footballer from what I've seen of him. The unknown of that is frustrating for us, I wish we had have given him a chance. Moore had a season at this level with Yeovil and the opportunities (albeit limited ones) with us last season and hasn't looked cut out for the Championship IMO, so I'm less concerned about this one. I would be surprised he he proves to be one that 'got away.' Marriott less so.

Agree totally, I don't see what wasn't to like about Marriott, his pace over that all important ten yards is very good, his touch is very good, he can obviously finish - even Mick accepted that, I still don't quite get it, I've watched half a dozen times now, I'm sat there watching his movement off the ball, the way he can come short and link play...his weakness is in the air if you want to be picky, with the game being played mostly of the floor these days it's certainly not a problem...Posh rarely go route one, unless it's over the top which is a ball he thrives on..
My take on Moore on 20:04 - Jan 5 with 2498 viewshoppy

My take on Moore on 18:54 - Jan 5 by clive_baker

"Marriott is he's a guy who's scored goals his whole life at just about every level he's played at"

Has he really though? After that initial spell at Woking in the conference, it wasn't until Luton and then this season that he's really been in the goals a lot.

My take on Moore on 20:33 - Jan 5 with 2464 viewsclive_baker

My take on Moore on 20:04 - Jan 5 by hoppy

"Marriott is he's a guy who's scored goals his whole life at just about every level he's played at"

Has he really though? After that initial spell at Woking in the conference, it wasn't until Luton and then this season that he's really been in the goals a lot.

His record at youth level was phenomenal, against quality opposition. He scored the best part of 30 goals for the U18’s and U21’s in the season he made his first team debut.

Ipswich Res - 2011-2015
​Apps: 33 - Goals: 25
Ipswich Yth - 2010-2013
​Apps: 55 - Goals: 39

He then went to Woking where he scored 12 in 22. He’s a natural goalscorer and to release him at the point without giving him a sniff of the first team aside from 1 cameo away at Burnley was a joke. I’m not sure what more the lad was meant to do to get a chance here. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he continues to make that look like a silly decision.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2018 20:48]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024