Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've seen a few people saying so and so manager is 'the best we can get' 14:00 - Dec 1 with 736 viewsclive_baker

I'm not sure we're an unattractive proposition to a new manager to be honest. The club and it's history shouldn't need selling to anyone. In terms of potential moving forward, the facilities, the young talent starting to come through etc. I would have thought we would be attractive to a lot of managers. Couple that with the fact we'll pay the right person a decent salary I would imagine for this level, and we have an owner who, for all his faults, has demonstrated in a trigger happy footballing world he's happy to back his managers with time and support and let them do their jobs. I can imagine that's a dream and a rare find for prospective managers. Also there's probably something reassuring about joining a club that have done naff all for a while, there's hardly a weight of expectation that comes with a number of opportunities.

Ok, we're not going to get the cheque book out and spend £10m on a player but I'm not sure I want a manager that's reliant on doing that anyway. I think we should set our sights a little higher than the Gary Megson's of this world.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I've seen a few people saying so and so manager is 'the best we can get' on 14:11 - Dec 1 with 702 viewsKieran_Knows

The club itself is an attractive proposition, yes. But would Evans pick the right man from the many applicants he'd probably get for the job? IMHO, no.

He barely wanted to sack Jewell when the going got tough, and then when he finally did sack him, he asked for his recommendation of who the next boss should be!

Any manager that comes in and wants to try and play better football would either a) need to coach the bunch we've got, or b) a sizable transfer budget to bring in better players to play better football unless a decent system/vision was put in place, ala Huddersfield, where we trawl foreign lower leagues and take a gamble on a few players.

EDIT - I don't think Evans would be that stupid to go for someone like Megson, but I fully expect it to be someone like Simon Grayson, Kenny Jackett or Phil Brown. Not exactly going to get the pulses racing again, are they?
[Post edited 1 Dec 2017 14:12]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I've seen a few people saying so and so manager is 'the best we can get' on 14:17 - Dec 1 with 687 viewsclive_baker

I've seen a few people saying so and so manager is 'the best we can get' on 14:11 - Dec 1 by Kieran_Knows

The club itself is an attractive proposition, yes. But would Evans pick the right man from the many applicants he'd probably get for the job? IMHO, no.

He barely wanted to sack Jewell when the going got tough, and then when he finally did sack him, he asked for his recommendation of who the next boss should be!

Any manager that comes in and wants to try and play better football would either a) need to coach the bunch we've got, or b) a sizable transfer budget to bring in better players to play better football unless a decent system/vision was put in place, ala Huddersfield, where we trawl foreign lower leagues and take a gamble on a few players.

EDIT - I don't think Evans would be that stupid to go for someone like Megson, but I fully expect it to be someone like Simon Grayson, Kenny Jackett or Phil Brown. Not exactly going to get the pulses racing again, are they?
[Post edited 1 Dec 2017 14:12]

Don't disagree, but I think that's a different point. Not the best we can get, but the best we can hope for Evans to recruit. McCarthy on balance has done a good job, but I do think it's time he moved on. 1/3 doesn't install much confidence in ME's ability to appoint a suitable gaffer.

I don't want any of those mentioned. I would rather we kept Mick.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I've seen a few people saying so and so manager is 'the best we can get' on 14:29 - Dec 1 with 671 viewschristiand

I'd like the club to go for someone that is 'up and coming' has proved their worth down the leagues instead of one of the same old names that jump on the merry-go-round and always seem to get a mention when a manager's job is available.

I'm more than happy if that manager comes in gets us to play a decent brand of football, continues to blood some of the youngsters, makes astute signings and you can see the direction we are heading. I don't think it is on the field that the club needs to look at either off the field there has been some dreadful decisions made and they need to be held accountable for that too. The quality of football certainly hasn't helped matters (we have all discussed at length on here), but decisions made by ME's cronies at PR have also alienated fans too and that has had a detrimental effect.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024