Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? 12:43 - Nov 30 with 12752 viewscolchesterchris

I've been offered an interview tomorrow for a post that would effectively be the next rung up from my current position.

I'm currently in South East London and the role is in Stoke.

It's a 3k/10% payrise. Now this isn't that much of an uplift for the responsibility, but at the same time I'm expecting outgoings to drop rather sharply - so I assume it will feel like a bigger pay rise?

I don't really like hot weather, so I'm not bothered about that. Anyone have any experience or things to consider?

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 14:09 - Nov 30 with 4411 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 13:46 - Nov 30 by chicoazul

Average house price for a semi in Stoke 124k
Average house price for a semi in Ipswich 214k
Average house price for a semi in Greenwich 543k

BRB moving to Stoke

Average house price for a semi in Burnley £15k

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 14:10 - Nov 30 with 4416 viewsBluefish

I am not too far from stoke, I'm in the southern part of derby. East Anglians find it weird leaving and those that are still there fond it weird that you have left. Presumably you have already left though so not a problem.

I go on the basis life is what you make it wherever you are. It soon becomes your home just male sure you new surrounding fit what you are looking for. Stoke will have good bits and bad bit like everywhere else.

Things are cheaper up here but not sure if I notice it or not, I don't really think about it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 14:36 - Nov 30 with 4377 viewsSaleAway

I grew up in Essex, graduated 1999, moved to London, lived and worked there until getting made redundant at the end of 2002. Moped around at home looking for non-existent London jobs for 6 months, before finally biting the bullet and taking a job I'd been offered in Manchester. I've been up here ever since, and other than the weather, its fantastic. I actually took a cut to my London wage, and still ended up massively better off.

Its not the cold you need to worry about, its the rain... its a west/east thing more than a north/south one... I found many more cold days in essex, but it was cold and dry, whereas up here, you get grey, damp days much more. I thought it was an urban myth before I moved up here, but its really not. It took me about 10 years to get used to it.

But - accessibility to North Wales/ Peak District/Lake district is fantastic, the people are friendly - the houses are affordable.

Its a long old trip down the A14 to Ipswich though, and the number of NW teams in the Championship has dwindled somewhat.... would be awesome if Mick managed to engineer a promotion though ;-)

If the job fits, go for it, there's a lot to be said for being out of the South East and its London obsession.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 14:43 - Nov 30 with 4374 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I moved from West London to Loughborough a few years ago and was so happy to be leaving London I would have moved to Burnley. (Albeit that is a very different situation and you clearly enjoy/dont hate living in London)

Have been a few times and as others have said, Stoke isn't great, but plenty of nice places nearby and the cost of living will make everything seem worthwhile as you'll have so much more living space as well as money in your pocket.

Plus there are plenty of good away days when you're based in the midlands.
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 14:48 - Nov 30 with 4369 viewsBasuco

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 13:42 - Nov 30 by colchesterchris

Thanks all, that's really helpful to read.

Family are all in Ipswich so it wouldn't make much difference really. I'm going to look around Stoke tomorrow so will probably decide quite quickly that commuting from slightly further out would be nicer - if offered of course!

Alsager is very nice, my daughter used to live there.
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 15:01 - Nov 30 with 4355 viewsBasuco

Earlier this year I came very close to moving to Cheshire, but it didn't quite work out, I would now be getting to know the M6, or M1 - A50 very well as Mrs B insisted we would keep our ST's even if we moved. BTW, M1 - A50 is a much nicer route and will be even better when they finish the roadworks at the M1 junction should you continue to go to PR.
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 15:10 - Nov 30 with 4348 viewsBasuco

This is what you could expect to get in Alsager house wise. Daughter rented a small 2 bed house, very new for £400pcm for a year while saving for the deposit on a place in Cheshire.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69653888.html
They have a good farmers market with local made cheese as well.
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 15:25 - Nov 30 with 4324 viewshype313

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 15:10 - Nov 30 by Basuco

This is what you could expect to get in Alsager house wise. Daughter rented a small 2 bed house, very new for £400pcm for a year while saving for the deposit on a place in Cheshire.

"They have a good farmers market with local made cheese as well."

Cue the sudden rush of posters hitting Rightmove

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 16:33 - Nov 30 with 4284 viewscolchesterchris

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 15:10 - Nov 30 by Basuco

Yeah, seems a different world to Greenwich where I am.

I'll check that area out if offered as looks ideal.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 16:43 - Nov 30 with 4277 viewsclogger

Hi
I live in the West Midlands but my son lives with his Mum in Stoke. There are some nice parts of Stoke that you can rent / buy reasonably, and surrounding areas, such as Alsager as someone has suggested, Congleton, Cheadle tc. Decent train links and an hour to one of three airports.

My kid lives in Sandyford which is by Tunstall, areas fine, give me a shout if you need any advice

Neil
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 16:55 - Nov 30 with 4267 viewsvapour_trail

You will be surrounded by northern monkeys like mullet.

On no account do this.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 17:09 - Nov 30 with 4254 viewsPinewoodblue

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 15:01 - Nov 30 by Basuco

Earlier this year I came very close to moving to Cheshire, but it didn't quite work out, I would now be getting to know the M6, or M1 - A50 very well as Mrs B insisted we would keep our ST's even if we moved. BTW, M1 - A50 is a much nicer route and will be even better when they finish the roadworks at the M1 junction should you continue to go to PR.

Pretty sure when the current road works finish they will start turning the next section of the M1, down towards Leicester Forest East, into Smart Motorway.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 17:10 - Nov 30 with 4251 viewschicoazul

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 16:55 - Nov 30 by vapour_trail

You will be surrounded by northern monkeys like mullet.

On no account do this.

He is a Halesworth monkey isnt he?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 17:14 - Nov 30 with 4247 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

You could just move to Sudbury...

...Sudbury, in Derbyshire. About 20 miles down the A50 from Stoke.

*ba-dum-tsh*
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 17:35 - Nov 30 with 4230 viewsBasuco

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 15:25 - Nov 30 by hype313

"They have a good farmers market with local made cheese as well."

Cue the sudden rush of posters hitting Rightmove

I spent a while tasting a few one day and when I found the one I liked best and asked what it was the lady said "cheese with no name" it is a new one and they had not named it yet, It was lovely.
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 17:38 - Nov 30 with 4228 viewsBasuco

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 17:09 - Nov 30 by Pinewoodblue

Pretty sure when the current road works finish they will start turning the next section of the M1, down towards Leicester Forest East, into Smart Motorway.

I think they are putting a new road from the JCB HQ on the A50 across to the M1 but not sure.
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 17:42 - Nov 30 with 4226 viewsBenters

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 13:46 - Nov 30 by chicoazul

Average house price for a semi in Stoke 124k
Average house price for a semi in Ipswich 214k
Average house price for a semi in Greenwich 543k

BRB moving to Stoke

How does it compare with Burnley?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 22:42 - Nov 30 with 4139 viewsBowls1e

I've done it myself. Moved from Braintree to Hanley in Stoke last year as my wife is from the area.. Even go & watch Stoke on a Saturday when Town aren't close enough for an away day.

Stoke on Trent is made up of 6 large towns & as per other responses the city is pretty rough around the edges & could do with some major regeneration. Tbh though I love the place, the surrounding countryside, & you get serious bang for your buck here. Wages will go a long way & you can get to London, Brum & Manchester very quickly.

Avoid living in Burslem, Bentilee or Meir. Newcastle Under Lyme is decent as are the surrounding suburbs.
Anyone ever considered/went through with leaving the South? on 10:27 - Dec 1 with 4072 viewsKitman

..going back a few decades now, I was living in Essex and working for a branch of a firm in SE London. I got a call from the big white chief re: promotion to manager of a new Bradford office. I accepted, with personal reservation, but lo and behold, I got a call from the same boss a few days later ti be told Bradford for me was off...and my new office promoted to was... IPSWICH !

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024