Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system 09:05 - Nov 21 with 6867 viewsStokieBlue

This is very cool:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2017/nov/20/interstellar

First confirmed interstellar object to be found in our solar system. Must have had a rather long journey to get here!

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:18 - Nov 21 with 6829 viewsWeWereZombies

The continued expansion of technological enquiry into space and the information revealed is just astonishing, isn't it? Long may it last.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 9:20]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:30 - Nov 21 with 6807 viewsStokieBlue

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:18 - Nov 21 by WeWereZombies

The continued expansion of technological enquiry into space and the information revealed is just astonishing, isn't it? Long may it last.

It's a great time for the space sciences, technology is getting to the point where some really huge leaps in understanding are being made and this is only going to accelerate with the launching of things like the James Webb Space Telescope in 2019 (x7 the optics of Hubble!).

I am hopefully we will find signs of life either through spectroscopy of extra-solar planets atmosphere or through the discovery of a second genesis of life on Earth. Either of these would prove life is widespread in the universe and that would be wonderful.

The other major and exciting development is the rise of private space companies, the likes of SpaceX and Blue Horizon are already making a real difference and without the bureaucracy which plagues government space agencies they can really push the boundaries. Musk is optimistic with his timescales but it's fully possibly you'll see a private astronaut on the moon or Mars within the next 25 years.

SB

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:34 - Nov 21 with 6781 viewsBergholtBru

http://panspermia-theory.com/

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:44 - Nov 21 with 6758 viewsWeWereZombies

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:30 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

It's a great time for the space sciences, technology is getting to the point where some really huge leaps in understanding are being made and this is only going to accelerate with the launching of things like the James Webb Space Telescope in 2019 (x7 the optics of Hubble!).

I am hopefully we will find signs of life either through spectroscopy of extra-solar planets atmosphere or through the discovery of a second genesis of life on Earth. Either of these would prove life is widespread in the universe and that would be wonderful.

The other major and exciting development is the rise of private space companies, the likes of SpaceX and Blue Horizon are already making a real difference and without the bureaucracy which plagues government space agencies they can really push the boundaries. Musk is optimistic with his timescales but it's fully possibly you'll see a private astronaut on the moon or Mars within the next 25 years.

SB

Well I'm not quite with you on the private space companies viewpoint, my Rawlsian philosophy training leads me towards a belief in a higher minimus of social provision at the expense of free rein for anyone to do anything they want to. And the precautionary principle is very important when humans extend their range beyond that which is already established, I can only see that as being achievable with agreement between states and not corporations.

But stories like this do show the importance of public funding for science that has no immediate application, it does show that the frame of our knowledge is always too narrow and gives us alerts about the possibilities beyond. Often what is seen as an esoteric 'knowledge for knowledge's sake' turns out to have paradigm shifting uses.

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:54 - Nov 21 with 6741 viewsStokieBlue

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:44 - Nov 21 by WeWereZombies

Well I'm not quite with you on the private space companies viewpoint, my Rawlsian philosophy training leads me towards a belief in a higher minimus of social provision at the expense of free rein for anyone to do anything they want to. And the precautionary principle is very important when humans extend their range beyond that which is already established, I can only see that as being achievable with agreement between states and not corporations.

But stories like this do show the importance of public funding for science that has no immediate application, it does show that the frame of our knowledge is always too narrow and gives us alerts about the possibilities beyond. Often what is seen as an esoteric 'knowledge for knowledge's sake' turns out to have paradigm shifting uses.

I see your point but let's take the example of SpaceX as our case study.

They have decreased the launch cost for NASA from 1bn USD per shuttle launch to around 80m USD for each Falcon 9 launch. They are currently getting approval for the Dragon capsule which will mean they can also do cheaper transfers of astronauts to the ISS (the Dragon already delivers supplies to the ISS). This has allowed NASA to redirect it's funding into actual scientific research rather then costly launches which is a much better remit in my opinion.

I also think national agencies have been so conservative and inefficient with funds that we are quite a bit behind where we should be with regards to reusable space technology and manned flight. That's not to say they haven't done amazing things of course.

I agree entirely that science funding is essential and whilst many complain about the expenditure the longer term uses which come from such funding cannot be underestimated.

SB

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:03 - Nov 21 with 6720 viewsRadlett_blue

Have you gone into Interstellar Overdrive?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:30 - Nov 21 with 6680 viewsGuthrum

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:30 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

SB

It's not just the detection equipment, but also the processing power to make them work and analyse the data. It's a lot easier to identify patterns if you can process millions of bits of information in a short time.

Edit: Plus having worldwide near-instantaneous communication networks to quickly share research and improve collaboration among scientists.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 10:31]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:54 - Nov 21 with 6647 viewsblue_oyster

It looks like someone has been smoking something...

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:59 - Nov 21 with 6642 viewsuncle

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:30 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

It's not just the detection equipment, but also the processing power to make them work and analyse the data. It's a lot easier to identify patterns if you can process millions of bits of information in a short time.

Edit: Plus having worldwide near-instantaneous communication networks to quickly share research and improve collaboration among scientists.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 10:31]

I went to a talk at Cambridge uni institute of astronomy last week, and the genius doing the presentation said that the Gaia satellite has either collected, or will have collected by the end of its mission (cant remember), so much data that if you looked at each star for 1 second it would take 90 years to finish.

Processing power makes it all possible, you're right.

That's not a sarcastic use of the word genius by the way. I think he was an actual genius.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 11:00]
First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:14 - Nov 21 with 6607 viewsWeWereZombies

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:59 - Nov 21 by uncle

I went to a talk at Cambridge uni institute of astronomy last week, and the genius doing the presentation said that the Gaia satellite has either collected, or will have collected by the end of its mission (cant remember), so much data that if you looked at each star for 1 second it would take 90 years to finish.

Processing power makes it all possible, you're right.

That's not a sarcastic use of the word genius by the way. I think he was an actual genius.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 11:00]

Would that have been a Cambridge Astronomical Association event? Was a member of that august institution when I lived in the area.

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:29 - Nov 21 with 6576 viewsuncle

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:14 - Nov 21 by WeWereZombies

Would that have been a Cambridge Astronomical Association event? Was a member of that august institution when I lived in the area.

Yep..

I go to the weekly open evenings each Wednesday. Brilliant stuff, followed by star spotting with the CAA. It's a remarkable thing really, getting to hear top class scientists explain things, answer questions etc, then look through proper telescopes.
First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:31 - Nov 21 with 6569 viewsStokieBlue

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:29 - Nov 21 by uncle

Yep..

I go to the weekly open evenings each Wednesday. Brilliant stuff, followed by star spotting with the CAA. It's a remarkable thing really, getting to hear top class scientists explain things, answer questions etc, then look through proper telescopes.

That sounds really good.

SB

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:33 - Nov 21 with 6560 viewshoppy

A bit like a wayward Frank Nouble shot on goal, really.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:36 - Nov 21 with 6544 viewsWeWereZombies

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:54 - Nov 21 by blue_oyster

Err, you?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:04 - Nov 21 with 6444 viewsSpruceMoose

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 09:18 - Nov 21 by WeWereZombies

Sorry, this would require experts, and as we all know, over the last few years we have collectively decided we no longer need experts.

In some circles, even reading is being viewed suspiciously now.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:12 - Nov 21 with 6430 viewsWeWereZombies

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:04 - Nov 21 by SpruceMoose

Sorry, this would require experts, and as we all know, over the last few years we have collectively decided we no longer need experts.

In some circles, even reading is being viewed suspiciously now.

What are reading for? no longer the weirdest question?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:20 - Nov 21 with 6410 viewsMJallday

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 11:14 - Nov 21 by WeWereZombies

interestingly, there are several members of the Cambridge University Netball Team on this site :)

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:25 - Nov 21 with 6400 viewsSpruceMoose

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:12 - Nov 21 by WeWereZombies

What are reading for? no longer the weirdest question?

Well i don't know about none of that. And why should I? Yesterday I didn't even know what an executive was and now I are one!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:26 - Nov 21 with 6399 viewsSpruceMoose

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 10:54 - Nov 21 by blue_oyster

Jeez buddy, do you ever take a day off from this dullard act?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 15:46 - Nov 21 with 6305 viewsblue_oyster

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:26 - Nov 21 by SpruceMoose

*Splat*

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 15:54 - Nov 21 with 6292 viewsWeWereZombies

First interstellar object confirmed in the solar system on 13:26 - Nov 21 by SpruceMoose

Apparently not...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024