Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spare a thought... 19:50 - Nov 20 with 6251 viewsNewcyBlue

For the missing Argentine Submarine.

Close to the limits of their oxygen reserves.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/20/missing-argentina-submarine-runnin

Let’s hope they get found before it is too late.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Spare a thought... on 19:52 - Nov 20 with 5542 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Blimey that don't sound good

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Spare a thought... on 19:55 - Nov 20 with 5536 viewsNewcyBlue

Spare a thought... on 19:52 - Nov 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Blimey that don't sound good

We have sent HMS Protector to help, the yanks have sent their Anti-Submarine aircraft too, the sub tried to make satellite calls but none got through.

I can tell you that the weather down there gets atrocious.

Spare a thought... on 19:58 - Nov 20 with 5523 viewsbrogansnose

Spare a thought... on 19:55 - Nov 20 by NewcyBlue

We have sent HMS Protector to help, the yanks have sent their Anti-Submarine aircraft too, the sub tried to make satellite calls but none got through.

I could be wrong but I always thought that submarines were designed to be difficult to find thesedays which obviously doesn't help. I don't even want to think what its like onboard at the moment. Let's hope they get found safe and well.
Spare a thought... on 20:02 - Nov 20 with 5494 viewsSamuelowen88

In any danger wouldn’t they just float to the surface?

Poll: England v Wales Score

Spare a thought... on 20:13 - Nov 20 with 5458 viewsNewcyBlue

Spare a thought... on 20:02 - Nov 20 by Samuelowen88

In any danger wouldn’t they just float to the surface?

They might not have power to run the ballast pumps to empty the tanks to surface.

They certainly just won’t be able to open the discharge valves as the water will enter the tanks.

Although I am no expert on Submarines I have a fair idea how they surface and dive.

Spare a thought... on 20:20 - Nov 20 with 5432 viewsSamuelowen88

Spare a thought... on 20:13 - Nov 20 by NewcyBlue

They might not have power to run the ballast pumps to empty the tanks to surface.

They certainly just won’t be able to open the discharge valves as the water will enter the tanks.

Although I am no expert on Submarines I have a fair idea how they surface and dive.

Surely there would be some manual ballast tank emptying ability? No idea but would make sense to me.

Whatever, one of the worse things I can imagine that

Poll: England v Wales Score

Spare a thought... on 20:35 - Nov 20 with 5387 viewsNewcyBlue

Spare a thought... on 20:20 - Nov 20 by Samuelowen88

Surely there would be some manual ballast tank emptying ability? No idea but would make sense to me.

Whatever, one of the worse things I can imagine that

No mate. Water will just enter the tanks.

Spare a thought... on 21:05 - Nov 20 with 5339 viewsBlueBadger

Spare a thought... on 19:58 - Nov 20 by brogansnose

I could be wrong but I always thought that submarines were designed to be difficult to find thesedays which obviously doesn't help. I don't even want to think what its like onboard at the moment. Let's hope they get found safe and well.

My grandma's 'boyfriend' was a submariner during the war. Some of the tales of the conditions he endured have left me with a lasting rest for these guys Let's hop they're found soon.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Spare a thought... on 21:09 - Nov 20 with 5325 viewsblueislander

Obviously it is an inhospitable area weather-wise, but at least it is summer.
Spare a thought... on 21:34 - Nov 20 with 5263 viewsamy73

My understanding was that these subs had tanks of compressed air which, when released, forced water out of the ballast tanks causing the sub to rise.
Spare a thought... on 21:37 - Nov 20 with 5250 viewsbluejacko

If it has sunk depending on the depth of water it could have exceeded its crush depth!
Spare a thought... on 23:39 - Nov 20 with 5120 viewsGuthrum

Saw reports earlier that a couple of noises had been detected today, by ships and sonar buoys. Biggest problem seems to be the weather, hampering the search.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Spare a thought... on 23:40 - Nov 20 with 5117 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just a light swell by the looks of the video posted by the Argies undertaking the search

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Spare a thought... on 09:43 - Nov 21 with 5000 viewsGuthrum

Spare a thought... on 23:39 - Nov 20 by Guthrum

Saw reports earlier that a couple of noises had been detected today, by ships and sonar buoys. Biggest problem seems to be the weather, hampering the search.

Sadly, once again turned out to be caused by something else.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Spare a thought... on 10:19 - Nov 21 with 4972 viewsTIB

Can't think of a much worse situation to find yourself in...let's hope they're found.

On a side note, I was reading the sub was pretty old but had had lots of "complex repair and engineering" work done in 2008 to try and modernise it.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Spare a thought... on 00:57 - Nov 22 with 4845 viewsjeera

Spare a thought... on 23:39 - Nov 20 by Guthrum

Looking at this, it doesn't fill you with hope.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Spare a thought... on 05:59 - Nov 22 with 4787 viewsBenters

Poor people thats got to be bloody awful for those on board.

Lets hope they get found.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 6:37]

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Spare a thought... on 06:05 - Nov 22 with 4788 viewsjeera

Spare a thought... on 05:59 - Nov 22 by Benters

Poor people thats got to be bloody awful for those on board.

Lets hope they get found.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 6:37]

Agree. That's no way to go.

I don't believe in much but if I did I'd be praying right now.

If I'm honest, I've given it a shot just in case.

Spare a thought... on 06:14 - Nov 22 with 4776 viewsBenters

Spare a thought... on 06:05 - Nov 22 by jeera

Agree. That's no way to go.

I don't believe in much but if I did I'd be praying right now.

If I'm honest, I've given it a shot just in case.

When i was in Hospital i prayed.

It set my mind and i could feel the tumour in my neck shrinking,every now and then it would give me a little jolt to let me the treatment was working.

God bless those poor Sub mariners.

Gentlybentley

Spare a thought... on 06:20 - Nov 22 with 4771 viewsjeera

Spare a thought... on 06:14 - Nov 22 by Benters

When i was in Hospital i prayed.

It set my mind and i could feel the tumour in my neck shrinking,every now and then it would give me a little jolt to let me the treatment was working.

God bless those poor Sub mariners.

Well, no, that's fair enough isn't it? No one can blame you for that. It must have been terrifying.

Yes. Beliefs aside, I think everyone with a heart is concerned for those people. They have lives, families, friends...

The only good so far has been the sight of nations coming together in a rush to aid. Whether that counts for anything in the long run may be something else.

I have had 2 people I know well die in the past 3 weeks and if I'm honest it's affected me more than I have cared to admit.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 6:21]

Spare a thought... on 06:33 - Nov 22 with 4744 viewsBenters

Spare a thought... on 06:20 - Nov 22 by jeera

Well, no, that's fair enough isn't it? No one can blame you for that. It must have been terrifying.

Yes. Beliefs aside, I think everyone with a heart is concerned for those people. They have lives, families, friends...

The only good so far has been the sight of nations coming together in a rush to aid. Whether that counts for anything in the long run may be something else.

I have had 2 people I know well die in the past 3 weeks and if I'm honest it's affected me more than I have cared to admit.

Yeah it was a bit but you have to stay strong.

Funny old World isnt it,one minute we are all fighting each other the next helping each other(a bit like on here at times).

I would have thought the sub could have let out some kind of floating distress beacon?

Sorry to hear about those people,life can be cruel at times.

Gentlybentley

Spare a thought... on 06:51 - Nov 22 with 4719 viewsjeera

Spare a thought... on 06:33 - Nov 22 by Benters

Funny old World isnt it,one minute we are all fighting each other the next helping each other(a bit like on here at times).

I would have thought the sub could have let out some kind of floating distress beacon?

Yes, of course.

Thanks.

As for sub situation - likewise. Maybe the weather has made these possibilities difficult, but yes, it would be fitted with a beacon designed to be released in emergency; apparently.

From the little info I've read it just says that nothing of that nature has been detected. Who knows why.

Spare a thought... on 07:12 - Nov 22 with 4692 viewsTLA

Spare a thought... on 06:20 - Nov 22 by jeera

I'm really sorry to hear about the people in your life you've lost jeera. Make sure you take care of yourself.
Spare a thought... on 07:16 - Nov 22 with 4680 viewsTLA

Spare a thought... on 06:33 - Nov 22 by Benters

It is a funny old world Benters, and it is reflected on here, as you say.

It's easy to fall out with people but it feels pretty good to get along with each other.

I don't mind having different opinions, it's the common ground I find more interesting.
Spare a thought... on 21:17 - Nov 23 with 4497 viewsNewcyBlue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-42100620

A diesel electric sub. Batteries short circuited and it was on its way back to base.

It’s not looking good unfortunately.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024