Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) 09:28 - Nov 20 with 6140 viewsMaySixth

so winning against Sheffield Wednesday this Wednesday would send out a real statement that we could have a half decent season

it will be interesting to see Mick's approach and whether we start with the same line up and an attacking formation at home against a streetwise outfit

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 09:32 - Nov 20 with 6125 viewsartsbossbeard

I really don't see the need to belittle what Town have achieved so far this season, but carry on.

Interestingly though, I've heard Gary Birtles, Ian Holloway & Neil Warnock all note that on their day, any team can beat any team in this league. As ex-pro's and experienced manager's, I'll lean towards their thinking.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 09:33 - Nov 20 with 6117 viewsNewcyBlue

I’m going.

I haven’t seen us win since we beat Middlesbrough at home in Feb 2013...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 15:40 - Nov 20 with 5971 viewsMaySixth

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 09:32 - Nov 20 by artsbossbeard

I really don't see the need to belittle what Town have achieved so far this season, but carry on.

Interestingly though, I've heard Gary Birtles, Ian Holloway & Neil Warnock all note that on their day, any team can beat any team in this league. As ex-pro's and experienced manager's, I'll lean towards their thinking.

I'm not belitting what we have done, I am stating the facts based on the league table.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 20:00]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 15:53 - Nov 20 with 5945 viewsfooters

I know a few Wendy fans and they're not really all that confident. They blow hot and cold, with some 'nice' football and moments of real quality but often fail to produce consistently.

Will be an interesting clash of styles, for sure. Depends which Wendy turns up on the day, and whether we can be as clinical with our chances as we were early doors.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:10 - Nov 20 with 5840 viewstextbackup

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 09:32 - Nov 20 by artsbossbeard

Yet they are wrong because we've not managed to pull off a win against a big name as of yet

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:16 - Nov 20 with 5825 viewsolimar

Given that Wednesday currently sit 10th out of 24, with a record of W6 D6 L5, surely both of those things would point to them as being an average team. Therefore beating them would entirely demonstrate the point.
Brentford are 13th, so are even more average really.
We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:20 - Nov 20 with 5815 viewsLankHenners

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:10 - Nov 20 by textbackup

Yet they are wrong because we've not managed to pull off a win against a big name as of yet

How far is this going to slide? We had 'we've not beaten a team above us yet', until we beat Preston, at which point some decided it didn't count as 'they're below us now and I didn't rate them anyway', or rather conveniently forgot they'd ever been banging on about the first statement altogether.

FWIW, I think this next run of games will really decide if we're going to be able to maintain this 'just a point or 2 off the playoffs' position until the end (I think it's unlikely, we'll probably fall back to somewhere around 11th - 14th). Get through this spell ok and maybe, against all odds, we'll have a small outside chance of creeping into 6th.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:21 - Nov 20 with 5812 viewsbournemouthblue

So far we've beaten the whipping boys, lost to the better sides (and Norwich) and drawn with a mid-table side in Hull so my prediction is a draw against mid-table Wednesday

We will see though, funny how they are underperforming. We seem to have a whole host of underperformers coming up.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:29 - Nov 20 with 5784 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:20 - Nov 20 by LankHenners

How far is this going to slide? We had 'we've not beaten a team above us yet', until we beat Preston, at which point some decided it didn't count as 'they're below us now and I didn't rate them anyway', or rather conveniently forgot they'd ever been banging on about the first statement altogether.

FWIW, I think this next run of games will really decide if we're going to be able to maintain this 'just a point or 2 off the playoffs' position until the end (I think it's unlikely, we'll probably fall back to somewhere around 11th - 14th). Get through this spell ok and maybe, against all odds, we'll have a small outside chance of creeping into 6th.

I quite like Town keep proving the negative people wrong.

First it was after the Charlton pre season shambles, 'we are going down. Best we can hope for is 15th'.

Then it was 'well we've won 5 games but let's see where we are after 10 games. Still plenty of time to drop right off and go down yet.

Then it was 'we started well but are struggling. Watch us be 15th after 15 games. Same old mick'

Now we are still right around the playoffs after 16 games and it's 'well out wins aren't against the best teams'.

If we beat Wednesday on Wednesday, I reckon it'll be 'we only won because Wednesday are struggling. Even we are above them'

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:32 - Nov 20 with 5775 viewsartsbossbeard

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:29 - Nov 20 by The_Romford_Blue

First it was after the Charlton pre season shambles, 'we are going down. Best we can hope for is 15th'.

Then it was 'well we've won 5 games but let's see where we are after 10 games. Still plenty of time to drop right off and go down yet.

Then it was 'we started well but are struggling. Watch us be 15th after 15 games. Same old mick'

Now we are still right around the playoffs after 16 games and it's 'well out wins aren't against the best teams'.

If we beat Wednesday on Wednesday, I reckon it'll be 'we only won because Wednesday are struggling. Even we are above them'

We're only 6 weeks away from being officially relegated don't forget.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:35 - Nov 20 with 5764 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:32 - Nov 20 by artsbossbeard

We're only 6 weeks away from being officially relegated don't forget.

I can't wait til we win the playoff final amongst chants of 'Mick McCarthy, your football is sh1t!'

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:40 - Nov 20 with 5747 viewsJakeITFC

Surely have to count Brentford as good?
We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:49 - Nov 20 with 5737 viewsbournemouthblue

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:40 - Nov 20 by JakeITFC

Surely have to count Brentford as good?

Nah

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 20:25 - Nov 20 with 5705 viewstextbackup

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 19:29 - Nov 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Hold ya horses, season has a long way to go as yet

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 23:35 - Nov 20 with 5615 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 20:25 - Nov 20 by textbackup

Hold ya horses, season has a long way to go as yet

Indeed there is

Nice to be at the right end of the table though isn't it

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 02:03 - Nov 21 with 5587 viewsharlingblue

Wolves, Sheffield Utd and Cardiff seem to have the same problem, beaten average opposition that are below them? haha
We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 05:43 - Nov 21 with 5561 viewsshoopdelang

Some people are idiots.

“ bottom half teams “ are not all one entity. They are all different sides with different qualities and weaknesses and who hit form at different times of the season. Example, when we comfortably beat Preston they suddenly became a bad team according to the people with the view of “ we only beat bottom teams “.
We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 06:07 - Nov 21 with 5556 viewsBenters

Still a snore fest though innit?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

We've beaten average opposition this season (unless you count Brentford as good) on 07:09 - Nov 21 with 5531 viewsVaughan8

I really hope we do continue our form and be in and around the playoffs all season. However 16 games is only about 3rd of the season so a long way to go.

It is a fact that we havent beaten anyone in the top half (though obviously havent played everyone yet).

If we went on a 3 game losing/winless streak or whatever, we would probably end up in our sacred 15th spot.

However a few wins on the trot we could be 5th place etc.

Its a strange league and we seems fairly inconsistent. A few interesting games coming up. Let's hope we are still where we are at Christmas/New year. Then we can start to believe!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024