Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. 07:36 - Nov 20 with 36754 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Platinum wedding anniversary. Great stuff.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:13 - Nov 20 with 6986 viewsNewcyBlue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:11 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

The various palaces would still generate tourism, regardless of the presence of someone wearing a silly hat living in them or not.

I look awful in hats, but am prepared to wear one whilst sat around.

Is it just the hat I need to wear? Is clothing optional?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:16 - Nov 20 with 6979 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:11 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

The various palaces would still generate tourism, regardless of the presence of someone wearing a silly hat living in them or not.

Someone would still have to run them though, and it would still cost money.

I’m not sure there is a financial reason for getting rid of the royals.

For the record I agree re: hangers on, liutenants, etc
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:23 - Nov 20 with 6968 viewsBlueBadger

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:16 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

Someone would still have to run them though, and it would still cost money.

I’m not sure there is a financial reason for getting rid of the royals.

For the record I agree re: hangers on, liutenants, etc

The Efficient Private Sector would run them....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:28 - Nov 20 with 6953 viewsClapham_Junction

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:53 - Nov 20 by Radlett_blue

I certainly think that most would prefer a Monarchy to a Republic, especially if it was slimmed down, without the endless titled, medal bedecked "hangers-on".
However, it is perfectly possible to have an apolitical President, with very limited powers. Rule #1 would be that anyone standing for the role of President may not be a current or former member of the House of Commons or Lords.

Unfortunately even titular presidents are very rarely apolitical because they are elected, usually by the legislature. Perhaps the only way around it would be to require a supermajority like 95% so as to prevent a vote along party lines.

I personally think constitutional monarchy is the least worst way of getting a head of state, although that doesn't mean there should be reforms to the current setup.
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:30 - Nov 20 with 6949 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:23 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

The Efficient Private Sector would run them....

The reality is we could sell them to foreign investors and dissolve the royal family for a small long-term loss.

For me there would be little point in doing that
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:41 - Nov 20 with 6930 viewsblueislander

on 10:04 - Nov 20 by _

I would venture to suggest that the number of people using"off shore" vehicles is rather more than you imagine. Virtually all collective investment schemes aka "funds" are incorprated in jurisdictions which are classified as off shore. These would include virtually all pension funds. This in no way means that tax is being avoided.
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:42 - Nov 20 with 6928 viewsblue_oyster

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:04 - Nov 20 by No9

What is so good about the monarchy?

You'll find out when its gone. Stick around.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:43 - Nov 20 with 6924 viewsNo9

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:42 - Nov 20 by blue_oyster

You'll find out when its gone. Stick around.

So, like many others you have no explanation?
Who will be missed, other than by the cash saved?
Login to get fewer ads

on 10:47 - Nov 20 with 6915 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:41 - Nov 20 by blueislander

I would venture to suggest that the number of people using"off shore" vehicles is rather more than you imagine. Virtually all collective investment schemes aka "funds" are incorprated in jurisdictions which are classified as off shore. These would include virtually all pension funds. This in no way means that tax is being avoided.

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:50 - Nov 20 with 6912 viewsblueislander

on 10:47 - Nov 20 by _

Pension funds are "scum"?
on 10:55 - Nov 20 with 6896 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:50 - Nov 20 by blueislander

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:55 - Nov 20 with 6899 viewsNo9

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:50 - Nov 20 by blueislander

No but they are often maanged by scum
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:55 - Nov 20 with 6900 viewssolemio

Anyone with a non-public sector pension will have an off-shore tax-avoiding element.
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:56 - Nov 20 with 6897 viewsMJallday

on 10:04 - Nov 20 by _

So you’ll be turning down any knighthood then Libby? 😂

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:57 - Nov 20 with 6894 viewsNo9

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:55 - Nov 20 by solemio

Anyone with a non-public sector pension will have an off-shore tax-avoiding element.

It gets taxed when brought into the UK
If you are below the tax threashold you have to fight to recover the deductions
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:59 - Nov 20 with 6889 viewsblueislander

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:55 - Nov 20 by solemio

And some public sector ones too, eg the MP's one.
on 10:59 - Nov 20 with 6884 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:56 - Nov 20 by MJallday

So you’ll be turning down any knighthood then Libby? 😂

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:02 - Nov 20 with 6880 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 10:47 - Nov 20 by _

Free movement innit?

The only way to control this is to construct barriers to free movement of capital. Whether that will benefit people living in the UK is unproven
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:04 - Nov 20 with 6877 viewsMJallday

on 10:59 - Nov 20 by _

Tbh I’d just steal the cutlery or something

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

on 11:08 - Nov 20 with 6867 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:02 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

Free movement innit?

The only way to control this is to construct barriers to free movement of capital. Whether that will benefit people living in the UK is unproven

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:11 - Nov 20 with 6866 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 11:08 - Nov 20 by _

The problem is you also have to lose foreign investment and, obviously, any movement of people
on 11:18 - Nov 20 with 6851 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:11 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

The problem is you also have to lose foreign investment and, obviously, any movement of people

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:21 - Nov 20 with 6845 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 11:18 - Nov 20 by _

The only solutions I can see are either lots of borders or no borders and a global government.

Not going to see much change in my lifetime so I don’t worry about it
on 11:41 - Nov 20 with 6823 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:21 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

The only solutions I can see are either lots of borders or no borders and a global government.

Not going to see much change in my lifetime so I don’t worry about it

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 11:49 - Nov 20 with 6815 viewsblue_oyster

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:43 - Nov 20 by No9

So, like many others you have no explanation?
Who will be missed, other than by the cash saved?

Indeed, enjoy it while it lasts. I bet you can't wait for your competent and efficient government to have even more control of you. They're doing so *well*, aren't they?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024