Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. 07:36 - Nov 20 with 36569 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Platinum wedding anniversary. Great stuff.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:24 - Nov 20 with 3665 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 08:49 - Nov 20 by _

I saw last night that the royals generate an estimated 1.5 billion income per year for the country.

How much revenue do you think you generate each year?
on 09:27 - Nov 20 with 3651 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:24 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

I saw last night that the royals generate an estimated 1.5 billion income per year for the country.

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:28 - Nov 20 with 3651 viewschicoazul

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:24 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

People who talk about how much tourism revenue the Royal Family generate need to remember France is the world's number 1 tourist destination and they killed their monarchy 200 years ago.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:30 - Nov 20 with 3643 viewschicoazul

on 09:16 - Nov 20 by _

We shouldnt get rid at all. The Royal Family are an essential part of Britain, represent fine traditions of honour and duty, and are a bulwark against tyranny.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:30 - Nov 20 with 3639 viewsRadlett_blue

Ahh..that old, hackneyed argument, unaccompanied by not a shred of real evidence.
Yes - the existence of the Monarchy
probably makes a marginal difference to the tourist trade, but the amount is completely unquantifiable.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:30 - Nov 20 with 3635 viewsGlasgowBlue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:23 - Nov 20 by No9

Your knowledge of history & geography is appalling - I s'pose Guido only informs about Russia?

The queen was born in the U.K. as was her father. And her father,s father and..........

I have a very good friend whose grandparents emigrated from the Punjab in the 1950’s. His parents were born in the U.K. as was he.

If somebody used his grandparents nationality as a dig then I’d say it was soft racism.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:31 - Nov 20 with 3636 viewsNo9

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:03 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

of course a Royal Family is inherently ridiculous. nobody would really deny this, the idea that someone has "magic blood" is stupid and we all know they are basically Germans. But nonetheless I feel they represent a peoples and a time that now seems so very far away it might as well be another planet.

You can look through any number of names on the 'Civil List' and see that, on the whole, they don't do right by the taxpayers who are paying for their upkeep.
on 09:34 - Nov 20 with 3623 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:30 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

We shouldnt get rid at all. The Royal Family are an essential part of Britain, represent fine traditions of honour and duty, and are a bulwark against tyranny.

Login to get fewer ads

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:35 - Nov 20 with 3624 viewsGlasgowBlue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:06 - Nov 20 by blueislander

Would you like to expand on how they are defrauding the general public out of millions, bearing in mind that the Queen pays millions in tax when not obliged to.?

You got a down arrow from Libby but no answer. Come on Libby id be interested in your answer.

How can the Queen be defrauding the general public out of millions in taxes when she isn’t obliged to pay tax and does so in a voluntary basis?

Iron Lion Zion

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:35 - Nov 20 with 3628 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:28 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

People who talk about how much tourism revenue the Royal Family generate need to remember France is the world's number 1 tourist destination and they killed their monarchy 200 years ago.

That doesn’t mean that the royals don’t generate income
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:36 - Nov 20 with 3624 viewsblue_oyster

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 08:03 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

Like so many institutions in Britain that are being eroded and slowly done away with, we will miss them when they are gone.

Many congratulations to them. They have held firm and had a happy solid marriage through incredible social upheavel around them. An admirable symbol of family, courage and restraint. If you transported someone through time from the start to the end of times of their marriage, they wouldn't recognise the country you placed them into. It will be interesting to note the stark differences between the coronations (if it even still exists), a traditional Christian ceremony. Sadly, when the Queen's reign is over you will see the begininng of the end of the monarchy.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:40 - Nov 20 with 3613 viewsRadlett_blue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:35 - Nov 20 by GlasgowBlue

You got a down arrow from Libby but no answer. Come on Libby id be interested in your answer.

How can the Queen be defrauding the general public out of millions in taxes when she isn’t obliged to pay tax and does so in a voluntary basis?

The idea that the Queen is doing us all a favour by kindly agreeing to pay some income tax is so deferential, out-dated & absurd. She could also rule by decree but is smart enough to realise that would precipitate a revolution. So she isn't doing us a favour by paying some tax (which she can well afford) or by deigning not to rule be decree, she's accepting a small amount of reality.
While a long term Republican, I still have a certain amount of respect for the Queen's devotion to duty over her reign, but that doesn't mean that she should be fawned over or that the monarchy is a lousy institution.

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:42 - Nov 20 with 3609 viewsGlasgowBlue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:40 - Nov 20 by Radlett_blue

The idea that the Queen is doing us all a favour by kindly agreeing to pay some income tax is so deferential, out-dated & absurd. She could also rule by decree but is smart enough to realise that would precipitate a revolution. So she isn't doing us a favour by paying some tax (which she can well afford) or by deigning not to rule be decree, she's accepting a small amount of reality.
While a long term Republican, I still have a certain amount of respect for the Queen's devotion to duty over her reign, but that doesn't mean that she should be fawned over or that the monarchy is a lousy institution.

im Not saying she is doing anyone a favour. I’d be in favour of legislation requiring the monarch to pay tax.

That wasn’t the question that was asked though.

Iron Lion Zion

on 09:42 - Nov 20 with 3605 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:35 - Nov 20 by GlasgowBlue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:43 - Nov 20 with 3601 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 09:42 - Nov 20 by _

So she’s not defrauding the public out of millions of pounds of tax?

Iron Lion Zion

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:49 - Nov 20 with 3597 viewssolemio

Professor Vernon Bogdanor, widely considered to be the leading expert on the British constitution, says that there is no way that an arrangement such as the Royal Family would be arrived at if we were starting from scratch now.

However he also says that when you examine the alternatives they are comfortably the best of a bad bunch of options. Would we really want our constitutional head of state to be elected? It would then become just a political football. These are Bogdanor's views, and I think they have much force.

I'd certainly support fewer 'hanger-on' members of the Royal Family receiving public funding which could be far better used in so many other ways.
on 09:51 - Nov 20 with 3575 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:43 - Nov 20 by GlasgowBlue

So she’s not defrauding the public out of millions of pounds of tax?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:52 - Nov 20 with 3578 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 09:42 - Nov 20 by _

I thought only a few humdred thousand was invested in a fund that happened to use some offshore element? Correct me if I’m wrong though
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:53 - Nov 20 with 3575 viewsRadlett_blue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:49 - Nov 20 by solemio

Professor Vernon Bogdanor, widely considered to be the leading expert on the British constitution, says that there is no way that an arrangement such as the Royal Family would be arrived at if we were starting from scratch now.

However he also says that when you examine the alternatives they are comfortably the best of a bad bunch of options. Would we really want our constitutional head of state to be elected? It would then become just a political football. These are Bogdanor's views, and I think they have much force.

I'd certainly support fewer 'hanger-on' members of the Royal Family receiving public funding which could be far better used in so many other ways.

I certainly think that most would prefer a Monarchy to a Republic, especially if it was slimmed down, without the endless titled, medal bedecked "hangers-on".
However, it is perfectly possible to have an apolitical President, with very limited powers. Rule #1 would be that anyone standing for the role of President may not be a current or former member of the House of Commons or Lords.

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:55 - Nov 20 with 3568 viewsNewcyBlue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:53 - Nov 20 by Radlett_blue

I certainly think that most would prefer a Monarchy to a Republic, especially if it was slimmed down, without the endless titled, medal bedecked "hangers-on".
However, it is perfectly possible to have an apolitical President, with very limited powers. Rule #1 would be that anyone standing for the role of President may not be a current or former member of the House of Commons or Lords.

As President what powers and privileges do I have? Just asking for when I get the job.....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:01 - Nov 20 with 3559 viewsRadlett_blue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:55 - Nov 20 by NewcyBlue

As President what powers and privileges do I have? Just asking for when I get the job.....

You get to invite someone to form a government in the event of a hung parliament.
You also get to attend lots of boring banquets with the likes of Donald Trump, Robert Mugabe etc etc.

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:03 - Nov 20 with 3552 viewsNewcyBlue

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:01 - Nov 20 by Radlett_blue

You get to invite someone to form a government in the event of a hung parliament.
You also get to attend lots of boring banquets with the likes of Donald Trump, Robert Mugabe etc etc.

Do I get to choose the politicians that i hang in front of Parliament?

Banquets with Trump and Mugabe? Not again....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

on 10:04 - Nov 20 with 3546 views_

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:52 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

I thought only a few humdred thousand was invested in a fund that happened to use some offshore element? Correct me if I’m wrong though

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:04 - Nov 20 with 3549 viewsNo9

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:36 - Nov 20 by blue_oyster

Many congratulations to them. They have held firm and had a happy solid marriage through incredible social upheavel around them. An admirable symbol of family, courage and restraint. If you transported someone through time from the start to the end of times of their marriage, they wouldn't recognise the country you placed them into. It will be interesting to note the stark differences between the coronations (if it even still exists), a traditional Christian ceremony. Sadly, when the Queen's reign is over you will see the begininng of the end of the monarchy.

What is so good about the monarchy?
Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 10:11 - Nov 20 with 3530 viewsBlueBadger

Congratulations to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. on 09:35 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

That doesn’t mean that the royals don’t generate income

The various palaces would still generate tourism, regardless of the presence of someone wearing a silly hat living in them or not.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024