Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... 22:23 - Nov 19 with 19521 viewsSwansea_Blue

The victims are "merely disappointed" and "should know what could happen", even if they are only 14.

https://www.stereogum.com/1972241/morrissey-defends-kevin-spacey-and-harvey-wein

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 12:56 - Nov 20 with 4930 viewsbenno1uk

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 23:31 - Nov 19 by sparks

Some will continue to idolise him...

Yeah - it's almost as if he was the voice of a generation in one of the most influential and original bands ever.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 13:01]
on 12:57 - Nov 20 with 4917 views_

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 12:56 - Nov 20 by benno1uk

Yeah - it's almost as if he was the voice of a generation in one of the most influential and original bands ever.

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 13:01 - Nov 20 with 4909 viewscrunchie1978

I won't be taking his picture off my wall any time soon.
Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 13:02 - Nov 20 with 4908 viewsbenno1uk

on 12:57 - Nov 20 by _

Oh yeah - I meant the young Morrissey. The old Morrissey is an utter loon.
Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 13:54 - Nov 20 with 4866 viewsBlueBadger

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 12:15 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

WTF?! Where have I said Johnson is a victim? You really are an arsehole for insinuating that

Apologies for any offence, but you've worded that somewhat ambiguously to my eyes and I've possibly misinterpeted you pretty dreadfully.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 13:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 14:00 - Nov 20 with 4859 viewsBlueBadger

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 13:01 - Nov 20 by crunchie1978

I won't be taking his picture off my wall any time soon.

...because you support child abuse.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 14:43 - Nov 20 with 4835 viewsnshearman1

This is as inflated as the man's ego and equally far from the truth, he just chimed with a bunch of teenagers once. He is an irrelevance, and always has been.
Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 14:58 - Nov 20 with 4814 viewsGlasgowBlue

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 13:54 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

Apologies for any offence, but you've worded that somewhat ambiguously to my eyes and I've possibly misinterpeted you pretty dreadfully.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 13:59]

Having read the thread I think you have read it completely wrong. I read it that Morrissey's "defence" that the victims know exactly what they are doing doesn't hold up because people like Johnson and Spacey are so called "responsible adults" who should know better and are using their power/ celebrity status to a) break the law and b) take advantage of people who may be willing but are starstruck.

There is no defence.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 18:16 - Nov 20 with 4755 viewsClausThomsen

Thanks for presenting the comments out of context!

Translated from German as well!

Good click-bait well done!
Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 18:55 - Nov 20 with 4733 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 18:16 - Nov 20 by ClausThomsen

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on all this stuff going on

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:00 - Nov 20 with 4729 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 14:58 - Nov 20 by GlasgowBlue

Having read the thread I think you have read it completely wrong. I read it that Morrissey's "defence" that the victims know exactly what they are doing doesn't hold up because people like Johnson and Spacey are so called "responsible adults" who should know better and are using their power/ celebrity status to a) break the law and b) take advantage of people who may be willing but are starstruck.

There is no defence.

Actually no, he's not reading it wrong. What I'm saying is there is evidence the girl knew exactly what was going to happen and was happy about it until her father found out. That doesn't make a victim out of Johnson though.
There is no such evidence for Spacey and I don't think it's even got anything to do with celebrity status. Spacey is an intelligent guy (I doubt Johnson is in his league here either) and, as I said, charismatic. It's quite probable he was trying to talk the boy into doing something he didn't want to do.
The difference is the extent to which grooming and consent is present in each case.
Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:04 - Nov 20 with 4726 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 13:02 - Nov 20 by benno1uk

Oh yeah - I meant the young Morrissey. The old Morrissey is an utter loon.

He's always been a loon. Johnny Marr split the band up because he couldn't stand working with him any longer. Morrissey thought they still had at least two albums in them
on 19:12 - Nov 20 with 4714 views_

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:00 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

Actually no, he's not reading it wrong. What I'm saying is there is evidence the girl knew exactly what was going to happen and was happy about it until her father found out. That doesn't make a victim out of Johnson though.
There is no such evidence for Spacey and I don't think it's even got anything to do with celebrity status. Spacey is an intelligent guy (I doubt Johnson is in his league here either) and, as I said, charismatic. It's quite probable he was trying to talk the boy into doing something he didn't want to do.
The difference is the extent to which grooming and consent is present in each case.

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:15 - Nov 20 with 4712 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 19:12 - Nov 20 by _

Are you saying online grooming is fine as long as they don't 'go all the way'?

edit: Unless you think Johnson is in the same league as that singer who raped babies there is obviously a sliding scale
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 19:24]
on 19:23 - Nov 20 with 4704 views_

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:15 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

Are you saying online grooming is fine as long as they don't 'go all the way'?

edit: Unless you think Johnson is in the same league as that singer who raped babies there is obviously a sliding scale
[Post edited 20 Nov 2017 19:24]

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:30 - Nov 20 with 4691 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 19:23 - Nov 20 by _

In what way? Johnson got the appropriate sentence for his actions, there's no question about that.
on 19:33 - Nov 20 with 4688 views_

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:30 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

In what way? Johnson got the appropriate sentence for his actions, there's no question about that.

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:42 - Nov 20 with 4673 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 19:33 - Nov 20 by _

err... only if you're thick as pigsh1t. Sorry bud.
on 21:37 - Nov 20 with 4625 views_

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 19:42 - Nov 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

err... only if you're thick as pigsh1t. Sorry bud.

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 22:32 - Nov 20 with 4600 viewsjeera

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 06:58 - Nov 20 by BrixtonBlue

You've taken those quotes out of context.

If you actually read the article (which they admit at the bottom was translated from German via Google Translate) he said "many" are merely disappointed, not all. Which is probably true.

With the 14 year old he was talking about a specific case, although I agree he's wrong on this one.

"People know exactly what happens. And they play along. Afterward, they feel embarrassed, or they do not like it. And then they turn it around and say: I was attacked, I was surprised, I was dragged into the room. But if everything had gone well and had it given them a great career, they would not talk about it. I hate rape. I hate attacks. I hate sexual situations that are forced on someone. But in many cases, one looks at the circumstances and thinks that the person referred to as a victim is merely disappointed. "

And this bit. Was this also taken out of context? There are several accusations of actual rape, not just predatory behaviour.

""People know exactly what happens. And they play along. Afterward, they feel embarrassed, or they do not like it. And then they turn it around and say: I was attacked, I was surprised, I was dragged into the room."

For being literally raped.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 22:36 - Nov 20 with 4595 viewsjeera

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 05:29 - Nov 20 by crunchie1978

At last some common sense on this matter.
And poor aled Jones...an inappropriate message sent ten years ago....what is the world coming to....or were the beed just getting him out the way so they don't have to pay him any snowman royalites this time of year lol.

What does Aled's alleged behaviour have to do with the likes of Weinstein forcing himself onto women?

He stands accused of raping several women.

You ok with that?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 00:11 - Nov 21 with 4568 viewsSwansea_Blue

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 18:16 - Nov 20 by ClausThomsen

Fair point on the German translation. But I think the context is perfectly clear. And I see it's since been picked up by all news outlets.

The only 'defence' is his statement saying all rape is abhorrent, yet that's inconsistent with a victim blame stance on sexual harassment.

As an aside, it seems now he's also being picked up on comments about nationalism (also from German paper):

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/881924/Morrissey-Angela-Merkel-Germany-immi

"But I'm sad that Berlin has become the rape capital… because of the open borders.”

The Express then points out "Overall sexual crimes in Berlin fell by 13 per cent since the all-time high of 2007.
According to the most recently available statistics, the number of reported rapes in the city has fallen, while the overall number of reports across Germany has remained lower than the UK, Sweden and the US."

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 02:04 - Nov 21 with 4545 viewsBrixtonBlue

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 22:32 - Nov 20 by jeera

"People know exactly what happens. And they play along. Afterward, they feel embarrassed, or they do not like it. And then they turn it around and say: I was attacked, I was surprised, I was dragged into the room. But if everything had gone well and had it given them a great career, they would not talk about it. I hate rape. I hate attacks. I hate sexual situations that are forced on someone. But in many cases, one looks at the circumstances and thinks that the person referred to as a victim is merely disappointed. "

And this bit. Was this also taken out of context? There are several accusations of actual rape, not just predatory behaviour.

""People know exactly what happens. And they play along. Afterward, they feel embarrassed, or they do not like it. And then they turn it around and say: I was attacked, I was surprised, I was dragged into the room."

For being literally raped.

He's not saying that about people who were "literally raped" though, is he?

He quite clearly says, "I hate rape. I hate attacks. I hate sexual situations that are forced on someone."

In the bit you're referring to he's talking about groupies and/or people who have used the situation to further their career.

It may be a bit clumsily worded but that's obviously what he means.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 11:58 - Nov 21 with 4493 viewsHerbivore

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 02:04 - Nov 21 by BrixtonBlue

He's not saying that about people who were "literally raped" though, is he?

He quite clearly says, "I hate rape. I hate attacks. I hate sexual situations that are forced on someone."

In the bit you're referring to he's talking about groupies and/or people who have used the situation to further their career.

It may be a bit clumsily worded but that's obviously what he means.

Why are you trying to defend him?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 12:04 - Nov 21 with 4486 viewsBrixtonBlue

Morrissey's take on sexual harassment... on 11:58 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

Why are you trying to defend him?

Because on that bit (that you're replying to) he's clearly been misquoted.

I'm not defending the other bit (about 14 year olds).

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024