Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks 10:15 - Nov 15 with 31923 viewsGlasgowBlue

Haven't seen much discussion on this.

I can't help but feel that if a white Tory MP or candidate had me similar remarks about a black candidate from another party then certain people, I won't name them but we all know who they are, would have been all over this story faster than Michael Fallon's hands over a female journalist.

Just to recap:

Emma Dent Coad, Labour MP for Kensington, called black Tory candidate Shaun Bailey a “token ghetto boy” and “free-loading scumbag” who is “not welcome” in her Kensington constituency.

Some good responses to Ms Coad:

Women’s Equality Party candidate Nimco Ali
“You Emma Dent Coad are a racist and as some who is the sister of a Tory black young man, you disgust me. My brother is a black Tory man and the left have acted like they owned him and I am so angry right now. I got the same BS for standing for WEP. She is a racist and should go.”

Shaun Bailey, the victim of the racist remarks
“I am shocked and saddened by the hate-filled, racist article written by Labour MP Emma Dent-Coad which has surfaced this afternoon. During my time in politics I have dealt with prejudice and attacks from hard-line groups, including the BNP, but not once have I been labelled a ‘token ghetto boy’.

Her use of language, including the caption of ‘keeping it real’, is more akin to that of a white supremacist group than that of an elected politician and she should be ashamed. As someone who was born into a poor family in Ladbroke Grove, I am proud of my charity work helping deprived community groups in the area Ms Dent-Coad now represents.

Ms Dent-Coad has a long history of public intimidation. She should publicly apologise for these latest slurs — not just to me but to the wider black community — and the Labour Party should consider her position.”

Tory MP Kemi Badenoch
“I’m a black conservative. I don’t think every offensive comment is racism, but when I see real prejudice I have to call it out. Emma Dent Coad’s comments were profoundly distressing, and a toxic reminder of the struggle black people face daily in defeating stereotypes. The fact that she made them while an elected councillor is a disgrace. This is why it is still relevant to discuss today. The tragedy is that someone who holds these views is an MP, representing a sizeable black population, make no mistake, this is racism…

An assumption that there’s only one way to be black, and anyone who doesn’t conform is a “coconut” an “Uncle Tom” or a race traitor. It is a poisonous belief and destroys the lives of so many children. I once heard a black boy accuse another of “acting white”. Why? Because he wore glasses and liked reading. Imagine what it’s like being in a classroom where everyone thinks like that?

Where do such attitudes come from? From “Community leaders” like Ms Dent-Coad, who want to tell us what to think and how to behave. They haven’t given us permission to leave our ghettoes, be Conservative or make friends with posh white people. This was Shaun’s crime. This attitude traps many black children within imaginary boundaries they believe they aren’t allowed to cross. They end up living less than the very best lives they can.

I have read Clive Lewis’s awful remarks to Nimko Ali. Patronising and wrong-headed. Denying blacks a basic human right to support a party of their choosing. It’s the attitude I referred to in my conference speech -that you can’t be black and conservative. Emma Dent-Coad did NOT apologise for her offensive remarks, merely for Shaun being upset by them.

My message to young black people everywhere is please, please feel free to be who you want to be. Don’t let Labour’s stereotypes and low expectations hold you back and never let them treat you like black sheep who will always follow them.”

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:35 - Nov 15 with 6695 viewsSteve_M

Yes, she's very badly in the wrong and the fact it was years ago does not excuse it.

I thought this by Stephen Bush in the New Statesman was very good:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/11/almost-everyone-being-dis

As an aside, there's a very different debate to be had about where digging up social media posts from years earlier will leave us when the records of what kids in their early teens write are still available 20 years later. That definitely isn't the case here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:35 - Nov 15 with 6694 viewsbluewein

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 10:39 - Nov 15 by Archer4721

You have to bear in mind , It's claimed Bailey had already called the place a "Ghetto"

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:43 - Nov 15 with 6676 viewsBrixtonBlue

Disgraceful comments. I don't care which party she's from, she should be fired.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:51 - Nov 15 with 6657 viewsGlasgowBlue

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:43 - Nov 15 by BrixtonBlue

Well said.

Iron Lion Zion

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:52 - Nov 15 with 6653 viewsNo9

Another link to Guido - who of course only gives you stuff to make you pleased?
No mention of the fact the stupid woman apologised
But the real questions are
1/ is this because she is making a lot of noise about the failign s of the C&K council?
2/ If this was hanging over her head why was she selected by labour to be a parliamentary candidate.

Anyone would think we have a HoC full of jonourable people when the reverse is true.
our political system has to change - for ALL parties
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:52 - Nov 15 with 6648 viewsBOjK

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:43 - Nov 15 by BrixtonBlue

You can't fire an MP. A party can withdraw the whip, and they can choose to resign as an MP. Otherwise if they haven't committed a criminal offence they can carry on.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 12:03]

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:55 - Nov 15 with 6632 viewsBOjK

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:52 - Nov 15 by No9

1/ is this because she is making a lot of noise about the failign s of the C&K council?
2/ If this was hanging over her head why was she selected by labour to be a parliamentary candidate.

Anyone would think we have a HoC full of jonourable people when the reverse is true.

1) It doesn't matter. That isn't the real question
2) Because they didn't have time what with the snap election to vet candidates as thoroughly as they would have liked

It was said that if the Tories had got their 100 seat majority their unvetted candidates would have contained people you similarly wouldn't want as MPs.

That - for them - isn't a problem. Small consolation I guess.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:58 - Nov 15 with 6625 viewsGunnsAirkick

When she was elected a friend in my local Labour Party ward in Norwich said she is a very strange woman and was very concerned about her becoming an MP. She was laughing and shaking her head about it.

Said friend has been a councillor on more than one occasion over the years and is very much left of centre (so seasoned, and certainly not a "Blairite" as it's cool to say these days). I get the impression she knows a wrong 'un when she sees one so none of this surprises me (she didn't elaborate on what she had witnessed her doing or saying before, just that she was very odd and outspoken but not in a good way).
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 12:00]
Login to get fewer ads

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:59 - Nov 15 with 6615 viewsGlasgowBlue

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:52 - Nov 15 by BOjK

You can't fire an MP. A party can withdraw the whip, and they can choose to resign as an MP. Otherwise if they haven't committed a criminal offence they can carry on.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 12:03]

True. The local branch can also de-select her but she's entitled to sit as an independent until the next election.

Iron Lion Zion

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:04 - Nov 15 with 6592 viewsNo9

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 11:55 - Nov 15 by BOjK

1) It doesn't matter. That isn't the real question
2) Because they didn't have time what with the snap election to vet candidates as thoroughly as they would have liked

It was said that if the Tories had got their 100 seat majority their unvetted candidates would have contained people you similarly wouldn't want as MPs.

That - for them - isn't a problem. Small consolation I guess.

Re: 2/ wasn't she a labour councillor?

"It was said that if the Tories had got their 100 seat majority their unvetted candidates would have contained people you similarly wouldn't want as MPs."

This is already the case anyway isn't it? From my experience (practicle) many people will apply to be a candidate for a party that looks like it will be the next to be in power and the locals don't vet them very well of have them thrust on them (remember Camerons 'Turnip Taliban?)

What Redwood has doen warrants more investigation and probably a bit more than suspension but that won't happen will it?
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:12 - Nov 15 with 6570 viewsJ2BLUE

People are brilliant at apologising to protects their interests after they have been caught. It's meaningless. She should be sacked.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:12 - Nov 15 with 6570 viewsRyorry

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 10:38 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

She only had a majority of 20 votes in the last election I believe so I seriously doubt they would risk getting her to step down.

Politics will win in this case.

SB

Would do them far more harm in the long-term *not* to tho, and she should be positively sacked, not just asked/be told to step down.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:14 - Nov 15 with 6562 viewsNo9

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:12 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

People are brilliant at apologising to protects their interests after they have been caught. It's meaningless. She should be sacked.

If you sacked everyone for things they did 7 years ago how many would remain employed?

Processes should be in place to vet people before they get selected.

Is it really as serious as what John Redwood did a few weeks ago?
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:17 - Nov 15 with 6547 viewsbluewein

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:14 - Nov 15 by No9

If you sacked everyone for things they did 7 years ago how many would remain employed?

Spouting racist remarks strikes me as pretty serious. Not sure what world you're living in here Fred.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:19 - Nov 15 with 6536 viewsNo9

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:17 - Nov 15 by bluewein

Spouting racist remarks strikes me as pretty serious. Not sure what world you're living in here Fred.

Are you insulting me?
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:27 - Nov 15 with 6516 viewsStokieBlue

Bit weird to look for justification/reasons why this is being reported isn't it?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:28 - Nov 15 with 6515 viewsyorkshireblue

Unless I've missed it, she hasn't apologised for her remarks though has she? Only that someone was offended.

These non-apology apologies are becoming more and more prevalent with public figures - particularly politicians on both sides of the House.
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:34 - Nov 15 with 6498 viewsNo9

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:28 - Nov 15 by yorkshireblue

Unless I've missed it, she hasn't apologised for her remarks though has she? Only that someone was offended.

These non-apology apologies are becoming more and more prevalent with public figures - particularly politicians on both sides of the House.

The BBC (& other sites) say she apologised

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41980425

But I agree with your last para

My view is that we have extremely low standards in public life and that needs to change.
It isn't a partisan thing but, again in my view, we have officials of parties who don't care who gets to be a potential candidate which may well be no more that who provides the backing for that person.
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:44 - Nov 15 with 6465 viewsBOjK

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:34 - Nov 15 by No9

The BBC (& other sites) say she apologised

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41980425

But I agree with your last para

My view is that we have extremely low standards in public life and that needs to change.
It isn't a partisan thing but, again in my view, we have officials of parties who don't care who gets to be a potential candidate which may well be no more that who provides the backing for that person.

It is no great surprise that we have low standard is public life.

MPs are underpaid, overworked and face a torrent of abuse whenever they say anything that isn't entirely uncontroversial.

This leads to fewer good people choosing to go into politics, which results in more public cynicism. Rinse and repeat.

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:55 - Nov 15 with 6445 viewsStokieBlue

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:44 - Nov 15 by BOjK

MPs are underpaid, overworked and face a torrent of abuse whenever they say anything that isn't entirely uncontroversial.

This leads to fewer good people choosing to go into politics, which results in more public cynicism. Rinse and repeat.

Exactly.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 13:02 - Nov 15 with 6425 viewsNo9

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 12:44 - Nov 15 by BOjK

I would not entirely agree that MP's are underpaid & overworked.
Some maybe, others not.
From my MP's expenses it is pretty clear he mostly only goes to the HoC, 3 days a week to sit on his committee or whe told to vote - another story there

If increasing MP's pay would we get better candidate or just craftier plonkers?

But I revert to my main theme= British politics has to change from teh voting system, through how parties & candiates are funded to the selection of suitable persons.

As an example on the radio this morning I heard one tory MP say he disregarded his constituents who vote remain by 72% because his party wanted to leave the EU

How is that MP representing his voters?
So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 13:30 - Nov 15 with 6396 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

It's a sacking offence is pretty much every right minded industry.

Because she's a politician and in the public eye, she should get away without being fired?

No sorry Fred she should be dismissed with immediate affect*

*assuming that's possible. I don't know how it all works in politics but you get the idea.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 14:00 - Nov 15 with 6367 viewsSwansea_Blue

Disgusting; how do these people stay in jobs? Stupid and unprofessional beyond comprehension. Hopefully her constituents will make it known that this isn't acceptable - they don't have to wait for the Party to do anything.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 14:08 - Nov 15 with 6358 viewsBOjK

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 13:02 - Nov 15 by No9

I would not entirely agree that MP's are underpaid & overworked.
Some maybe, others not.
From my MP's expenses it is pretty clear he mostly only goes to the HoC, 3 days a week to sit on his committee or whe told to vote - another story there

If increasing MP's pay would we get better candidate or just craftier plonkers?

But I revert to my main theme= British politics has to change from teh voting system, through how parties & candiates are funded to the selection of suitable persons.

As an example on the radio this morning I heard one tory MP say he disregarded his constituents who vote remain by 72% because his party wanted to leave the EU

How is that MP representing his voters?

"How is that MP representing his voters?"

MPs aren't delegates. They are representatives. MPs stand on a party manifesto and sometimes make it clear that they have personal views that differ in respects from their parties manifesto.

Having been elected by their constituents they vote according to a combination of their manifesto and personal views.

That is how the system is supposed to work, and how it should. Things of course have got ridiculous now we've started to have referenda on every constitutional change, but there you go.

So Emma Dent Coad and her racist remarks on 14:15 - Nov 15 with 6345 viewsvapour_trail

There's not a lot to defend here, she looks a wrongun.

Agree re Redwood though. If she's a candidate for de-selection and /or removal of the whip, he certainly is.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024