Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Stokes 00:27 - Sep 28 with 20974 viewswellsy700

Dear oh dear

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Ben Stokes on 07:22 - Sep 28 with 12175 viewsStokieBlue

Drunken punch-up basically.

I assume that's Hales trying to stop him. Doesn't try that hard really but that's not his job.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Ben Stokes on 08:06 - Sep 28 with 12098 viewsReuser_is_God

Ben Stokes on 07:22 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

I assume that's Hales trying to stop him. Doesn't try that hard really but that's not his job.

SB

Great punch at the end.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ben Stokes on 08:10 - Sep 28 with 12079 viewsBenters

Ginger wonker

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Ben Stokes on 08:58 - Sep 28 with 11992 viewsitfcjoe

Ben Stokes on 07:22 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

SB

Pretty brutal though, can't see how he can go to Oz as vice-captain as this will lead to a criminal charge, especially if that guys injuries are bad.

If injuries are bad, could be quite serious, as they do a lot of boxing training when you see the behind the scenes stuff so he knows what he's doing a delivers a couple of savage blows

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ben Stokes on 09:04 - Sep 28 with 11966 viewsconnorscontract

I can't make out much of the beginning, but The Sun report said one of the two men swung a bottle at "the man who looks like Stokes'" group.

If that's true he is totally within his rights to defend himself. A broken bottle in the eye, or cutting the wrong part of the hand used to defend his face, would be a career ending injury.

We also don't who provoked who, or for how long.

"Should" he have been out at 2 in the morning a couple of days before a match? Probably not, but there was no curfew.

Is he to blame here? I don't know, but he needs to get on the phone to Steven Gerrard's lawyer...
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 9:31]
Ben Stokes on 09:05 - Sep 28 with 11961 viewsStokieBlue

Ben Stokes on 09:04 - Sep 28 by connorscontract

I can't make out much of the beginning, but The Sun report said one of the two men swung a bottle at "the man who looks like Stokes'" group.

If that's true he is totally within his rights to defend himself. A broken bottle in the eye, or cutting the wrong part of the hand used to defend his face, would be a career ending injury.

We also don't who provoked who, or for how long.

"Should" he have been out at 2 in the morning a couple of days before a match? Probably not, but there was no curfew.

Is he to blame here? I don't know, but he needs to get on the phone to Steven Gerrard's lawyer...
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 9:31]

Massive difference between disarming the guy which he does right at the start and then essentially beating up 3 people.

That punch on that guy at the end was brutal - it broke his hand and god knows what it did to the guy.

Need to wait for all the details but very early to be making excuses.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Ben Stokes on 09:16 - Sep 28 with 11926 viewsflimflam

Not passing any judgement but if a drunk knobhead starts swinging a bottle at me or my mates then sure I would have retaliated too.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Ben Stokes on 09:17 - Sep 28 with 11918 viewsfloridaboy

Ben Stokes on 09:05 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

Massive difference between disarming the guy which he does right at the start and then essentially beating up 3 people.

That punch on that guy at the end was brutal - it broke his hand and god knows what it did to the guy.

SB

Will he be allowed to enter Australia if charges are brought by police?
Login to get fewer ads

Ben Stokes on 09:18 - Sep 28 with 11918 viewschicoazul

If that is indeed Stokes then surely he can't go to the Ashes.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ben Stokes on 09:20 - Sep 28 with 11901 viewsSaleAway

Ben Stokes on 09:17 - Sep 28 by floridaboy

Didn't that used to be a requirement? ;-)

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Ben Stokes on 09:21 - Sep 28 with 11899 viewsBergholtBru

Er wait, this is The Sun right???

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Ben Stokes on 09:22 - Sep 28 with 11897 viewshype313

Ben Stokes on 09:17 - Sep 28 by floridaboy

They haven't been that bothered letting in convicts before have they
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 9:22]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ben Stokes on 09:24 - Sep 28 with 11883 viewsconnorscontract

Ben Stokes on 09:05 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

SB

But somebody, part of a group, swings a bottle, and the group don't pull him away or leave, and he defends himself, and the other two don't pull the attacker away or leave, then it's reasonable to see all three as a threat and defend himself. One of the others could have picked up the bottle, for example. Once the bottle is swung adrenaline kicks in, and he is in "I have to win this and can't walk away" mode.

We don't know what happened before. Had "the man who looks like Stokes", or one of his group, hit one of the other group before this? Had they sexually assaulted one of this group, or a friend of theirs? Does one of "the man who looks like Stokes'" group make a threat to cause this group to reasonably fear for their safety?

We don't know what led to this.

We do know what we can see. A member of the other group is the first to act violently in this clip and "the man who looks like Stokes" then contributes nearly every punch thereafter.

Three people coming into your space, and one swings a bottle: reasonable behaviour to defend yourself. The question comes as to at which point the threat to self is neutralised and it is unreasonable to continue fighting.

Like I said, Steven Gerrard has the number of a barrister who could convince a jury that this is self-defence.
Ben Stokes on 09:28 - Sep 28 with 11855 viewsvapour_trail

Ben Stokes on 09:18 - Sep 28 by chicoazul

If that is indeed Stokes then surely he can't go to the Ashes.

The only way he won't go is if there's ongoing legal proceedings.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Ben Stokes on 09:32 - Sep 28 with 11832 viewschicoazul

Ben Stokes on 09:28 - Sep 28 by vapour_trail

The only way he won't go is if there's ongoing legal proceedings.

You think? I dunno man. Obviously I think he should definitely go but if that is him and he fesses up to Strauss then I think they will drop him.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Ben Stokes on 09:33 - Sep 28 with 11827 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Ben Stokes on 09:21 - Sep 28 by BergholtBru

Er wait, this is The Sun right???

Even the sun can't invent an imaginary video.

I'm not jumping to anything conclusions on Stokes here. He may well have been attacked first for all any of us know.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Ben Stokes on 09:34 - Sep 28 with 11823 viewsfactual_blue

Ben Stokes on 08:10 - Sep 28 by Benters

Ginger wonker

Isn't not all about you, you know.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ben Stokes on 09:46 - Sep 28 with 11782 viewsSteve_M

Due process is always helped by flogging the CCTV footage to the Sun rather than giving it to the police.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ben Stokes on 09:48 - Sep 28 with 11769 viewschicoazul

Ben Stokes on 09:46 - Sep 28 by Steve_M

Due process is always helped by flogging the CCTV footage to the Sun rather than giving it to the police.

Looks like mobile phone footage, someone leaning out a window to record it. Made themselves a tidy few grand flogging it I expect.

Ben Stokes on 09:57 - Sep 28 with 11724 viewsBergholtBru

Ben Stokes on 09:33 - Sep 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Even the sun can't invent an imaginary video.

I'm not jumping to anything conclusions on Stokes here. He may well have been attacked first for all any of us know.

The Scum are trying to undermine the ashes tour already!!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Ben Stokes on 10:04 - Sep 28 with 11702 viewsHerbivore

Hard to draw any real conclusions from that. Very silly of Stokes to be in that position anyway, he shouldn't be getting into scuffles outside nightclubs at 2.30am full stop however that video does show someone brandishing a bottle and appearing to take a swing at someone and it's only then he reacts and takes a swing. I guess it's whether they are still a threat when he sticks them on their arse at the end that will sway the police in terms of taking further action or not.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ben Stokes on 10:33 - Sep 28 with 11641 viewsvapour_trail

Ben Stokes on 09:32 - Sep 28 by chicoazul

You think? I dunno man. Obviously I think he should definitely go but if that is him and he fesses up to Strauss then I think they will drop him.

If it was like westley I'd agree. There's no way they're leaving stokes behind over a drunken brawl unless they're snookered by the law.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Ben Stokes on 10:48 - Sep 28 with 11610 viewsTIB

Typical boozed up scrap which he could get in some serious trouble over...you have the right to defend yourself (e.g. someone attacks you with a bottle) but it's hard to say you are defending yourself when you are on top of someone on the ground and punching them...they then get up and walk away and you continue to stalk them and eventually lay someone out. The way the guy hits the deck is horrific, the sort of landing you hear about with "one punch killers".

I got charged with GBH a few years back after me and my wife got attacked by a group of lads...one of them came off slightly worse for wear and tried to fabricate a story that they were attacked, despite CCTV showing them in the pub being hostile and then them following us out. The idiot even admitted to shouting sexually inappropriate things at my wife as we were walking away. Horrible situation/experience that no one should have to go through, unfortunately though, some folk can't help but run their mouth and turn into McGregor after four pints
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 10:51]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Ben Stokes on 11:08 - Sep 28 with 11553 viewsYaffle

I think the only thing he needs to worry about is the last few seconds of the video where the two chaps are walking backward and he continues to follow and then lands a hefty punch that puts him on his arse. Up until then, it looks like self-defense (the bloke tries to bottle his mate) and he could claim it was reasonable endeavors to protect/defend himself and his friends. The last bit, no. That's when he should have walked away.

As a footnote, tragically for all concerned, there are many young men, who probably would never otherwise have dreamt that they would end up in prison, serving long sentences where the receiver of a haymaker like that doesn't get up or are irreversibly damaged. Often it's not the punch but the head on the road or kerb that does the damage. Stokes can think himself lucky, to be honest.
Ben Stokes on 11:11 - Sep 28 with 11534 viewsYaffle

Ben Stokes on 10:48 - Sep 28 by TIB

Typical boozed up scrap which he could get in some serious trouble over...you have the right to defend yourself (e.g. someone attacks you with a bottle) but it's hard to say you are defending yourself when you are on top of someone on the ground and punching them...they then get up and walk away and you continue to stalk them and eventually lay someone out. The way the guy hits the deck is horrific, the sort of landing you hear about with "one punch killers".

I got charged with GBH a few years back after me and my wife got attacked by a group of lads...one of them came off slightly worse for wear and tried to fabricate a story that they were attacked, despite CCTV showing them in the pub being hostile and then them following us out. The idiot even admitted to shouting sexually inappropriate things at my wife as we were walking away. Horrible situation/experience that no one should have to go through, unfortunately though, some folk can't help but run their mouth and turn into McGregor after four pints
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 10:51]

I hadn't seen your post before I posted. Sort of says similar things really.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to the GBH charge, did it make it to court? Sound pretty fecking harsh if it did!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024