Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pleasing performance yesterday 08:29 - Sep 24 with 1902 viewschristiand

Strangely, really encouraged by the performance yesterday even in defeat. Need to carry that performance in to Tuesday's game instead of going back in our shells and being more concerned about the opposition - like against Bolton.

One negative for me is us defensively. We're too easy to create chances or score against and this has been happening for a while. Just look how many times Bart has been man of the match over the last couple of seasons. Surely, MM can see this himself? Just think these things can be worked on more on the training ground, so we look a more stronger unit at the back.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Pleasing performance yesterday on 08:37 - Sep 24 with 1876 viewsBluefish

It is a fair point but i would say that Smith and or Webster will help when they return.

I would go

Spence chambers Smith Knudsen

For the balance even though I rate Webster highly

I also think you are going to have more chances against while your team adapts to the possession football further up the pitch. Adeyemi was noticeably trying to play much further ahead of skuse in the 2nd half. Bar a couple of stray passes skuse was superb
[Post edited 24 Sep 2017 9:55]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pleasing performance yesterday on 09:38 - Sep 24 with 1802 viewschristiand

Pleasing performance yesterday on 08:37 - Sep 24 by Bluefish

It is a fair point but i would say that Smith and or Webster will help when they return.

I would go

Spence chambers Smith Knudsen

For the balance even though I rate Webster highly

I also think you are going to have more chances against while your team adapts to the possession football further up the pitch. Adeyemi was noticeably trying to play much further ahead of skuse in the 2nd half. Bar a couple of stray passes skuse was superb
[Post edited 24 Sep 2017 9:55]

I've been inspired by your balanced post of last week Truce! So I'm trying to be a little more measured in my posts too! Not sure how long that will last though.

Would like us a little tighter defensively, if we were more resolute we would've won yesterday because that certainly would not of impacted on our attacking intent when in control of the ball. I'm hoping that MM uses it as a watershed moment, forgets the result and looks solely at the performance - that's how we need to play. A team that has not lost at home or conceded a goal got a real game yesterday, why should that approach change when playing a team second from bottom and struggling with confidence? Get the defence sorted make us tougher to score against, but keep the same attacking intent of yesterday and we might surprise quite a few this season.....me included!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Pleasing performance yesterday on 09:57 - Sep 24 with 1770 viewsBluefish

Pleasing performance yesterday on 09:38 - Sep 24 by christiand

I've been inspired by your balanced post of last week Truce! So I'm trying to be a little more measured in my posts too! Not sure how long that will last though.

Would like us a little tighter defensively, if we were more resolute we would've won yesterday because that certainly would not of impacted on our attacking intent when in control of the ball. I'm hoping that MM uses it as a watershed moment, forgets the result and looks solely at the performance - that's how we need to play. A team that has not lost at home or conceded a goal got a real game yesterday, why should that approach change when playing a team second from bottom and struggling with confidence? Get the defence sorted make us tougher to score against, but keep the same attacking intent of yesterday and we might surprise quite a few this season.....me included!

Good work. I agree on you about the defensive we looked a little unbalanced with chambo on the left cb

Players coming back is a positive.

Adeyemi makes a massive difference to the balance and I was really impressed with nydams involvement

Pleasing performance yesterday on 10:16 - Sep 24 with 1752 viewsMullet

He's had the defence completely destroyed by injury and had to improvise and still had us up there all season so far. There's no way MM would pick the defences he has, to be his first choice.

Spence was poor yesterday, Lasogga was clearly the biggest test he's had and he wasn't up to it. The striker knew exactly where to run and when and had success first time to score and did it half a dozen times all game. Chambers was carrying us at the back all game.

Knudsen too started really well but soon fell away. He and Nydam weren't working as a unit and he was slowing up possibly due to injury taking its toll.

Overall it was typically Mick in approach and was the sort of stuff he's been criticised for. Flat 442, being overrun in the first half, bringing all his men back to defend corners, trying to stifle the opposition. But it works and that's why he's been doing it for years.

What told yesterday was the quality of his signings. Adeyemi had a quietly effective game and helped Skuse shine at times. Nydam grew into the game when he was given a role that suited him and Garner was much better at getting into a shaky defence and weak keeper. McGoldrick was just superb.

However Bart had a rare stinker. It was a game that didn't really play to his strengths. He spent a lot of time receiving back passes to clear out, or kicking from goalkicks. There wasn't a lot of shots for him to stop.

Some days things fall for you, like it did for Leeds with the third, some days they don't. But I'd say this wasn't much of a departure from what we've done all season. If at all.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Pleasing performance yesterday on 10:25 - Sep 24 with 1731 viewsBluefish

Pleasing performance yesterday on 10:16 - Sep 24 by Mullet

He's had the defence completely destroyed by injury and had to improvise and still had us up there all season so far. There's no way MM would pick the defences he has, to be his first choice.

Spence was poor yesterday, Lasogga was clearly the biggest test he's had and he wasn't up to it. The striker knew exactly where to run and when and had success first time to score and did it half a dozen times all game. Chambers was carrying us at the back all game.

Knudsen too started really well but soon fell away. He and Nydam weren't working as a unit and he was slowing up possibly due to injury taking its toll.

Overall it was typically Mick in approach and was the sort of stuff he's been criticised for. Flat 442, being overrun in the first half, bringing all his men back to defend corners, trying to stifle the opposition. But it works and that's why he's been doing it for years.

What told yesterday was the quality of his signings. Adeyemi had a quietly effective game and helped Skuse shine at times. Nydam grew into the game when he was given a role that suited him and Garner was much better at getting into a shaky defence and weak keeper. McGoldrick was just superb.

However Bart had a rare stinker. It was a game that didn't really play to his strengths. He spent a lot of time receiving back passes to clear out, or kicking from goalkicks. There wasn't a lot of shots for him to stop.

Some days things fall for you, like it did for Leeds with the third, some days they don't. But I'd say this wasn't much of a departure from what we've done all season. If at all.

Agree with most of this. Didn't think Spence was as bad as you say I think Iorfa was the main problem on that side. Badly need Smith back for balance

Pleasing performance yesterday on 10:38 - Sep 24 with 1703 viewsBlueBadger

Pleasing performance yesterday on 10:25 - Sep 24 by Bluefish

Agree with most of this. Didn't think Spence was as bad as you say I think Iorfa was the main problem on that side. Badly need Smith back for balance

I suspect that once everyone is fit then Chambers and Webster will be the partnership of choice ta the back there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024