Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forward thinking 23:17 - Jul 22 with 6422 viewssundaze

So now with just two weeks before the start of the new season, we have brought in one striker and if we include Murphy at the start of last season, we have let five strikers go. Murphy, Pitman, Best, Moore and Kenyu, while Samuel has also left after his loan spell. I hope Garner does well. but at the moment we are very lightweight up front, if Garner gets injured and Didz keeps missing various parts of the season we will be even more toothless this time around. It's time to speculate, pay serious cash for a good young striker and hope that he knocks the goals in for us and at the same time add millions to his sell on value.
Forward thinking on 10:59 - Jul 23 with 6288 viewsCaptMickMills

Also Varney gone though Kenyu I thought was a midfield player.

I agree definitely we need 1 preferably 2 more strikers and another wide player.

Also agree preference for buying young striker with potential rather than a loan player or late twenties striker. If we got 2 more strikers then perhaps 1 could be a loan signing.
Forward thinking on 11:17 - Jul 23 with 6248 viewsHerbivore

From the end of last season we've let Moore go on loan (he can be recalled I believe), Best left but he never played anyway, Samuel made about two appearances and Pitman was barely playing either. We do need another striker though to replace the minutes lost by Pitman, Moore and Samuel but whoever we bring in is likely to be 4th choice behind the 3 senior strikers already at the club so I wouldn't expect that we're going to be spending huge money on a squad player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Forward thinking on 11:26 - Jul 23 with 6235 viewsbournemouthblue

Forward thinking on 11:17 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

From the end of last season we've let Moore go on loan (he can be recalled I believe), Best left but he never played anyway, Samuel made about two appearances and Pitman was barely playing either. We do need another striker though to replace the minutes lost by Pitman, Moore and Samuel but whoever we bring in is likely to be 4th choice behind the 3 senior strikers already at the club so I wouldn't expect that we're going to be spending huge money on a squad player.

They don't have to be 4th choice, they can compete with the rest of the strikers

We are screaming out for a blue riband striker to lead the line, Garner is not that player. He may do a job but he isn't going to magic into a top player.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Forward thinking on 11:29 - Jul 23 with 6229 viewsHerbivore

Forward thinking on 11:26 - Jul 23 by bournemouthblue

They don't have to be 4th choice, they can compete with the rest of the strikers

We are screaming out for a blue riband striker to lead the line, Garner is not that player. He may do a job but he isn't going to magic into a top player.

I hate to be the one to break this to you but if you think Garner isn't going to be leading the line for us this season after we spent 7 figures on him and after he's bagged 5 goals in preseason then you're sorely mistaken. Garner and Didz are almost certainly going to be our first choice partnership this season and Garner is more than capable of leading the line, he's a genuine number 9. Any striker coming in will add competition I would hope but they aren't going to be coming in as automatic first choice and for that reason they're not going to cost the earth.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2017 11:39]

Forward thinking on 11:37 - Jul 23 with 6198 viewsBluebell

Forward thinking on 11:29 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

I hate to be the one to break this to you but if you think Garner isn't going to be leading the line for us this season after we spent 7 figures on him and after he's bagged 5 goals in preseason then you're sorely mistaken. Garner and Didz are almost certainly going to be our first choice partnership this season and Garner is more than capable of leading the line, he's a genuine number 9. Any striker coming in will add competition I would hope but they aren't going to be coming in as automatic first choice and for that reason they're not going to cost the earth.

I was going to say the same about Garner. Apparently, according to Mr Bluebell, this goal is being shown on Sky to advertise a betting website.................

Forward thinking on 11:47 - Jul 23 with 6162 viewssundaze

Forward thinking on 11:29 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

Thank you for clearing things up for us. I knew you were a big MM fan, however I have to confess that I didn't realise you were so close to him. Does he share all his plans with you regarding who is going to be first choice in each position? Could you ask him who is going to be the centre back pairing this season, I am unable to work it out at the moment.
Are we really counting goals scored against bottom of the league Irish opposition? Do you really think that pre season games against lower level teams will give us a true indication of what to expect in the championship every week?
Forward thinking on 11:56 - Jul 23 with 6135 viewsHerbivore

Forward thinking on 11:47 - Jul 23 by sundaze

Thank you for clearing things up for us. I knew you were a big MM fan, however I have to confess that I didn't realise you were so close to him. Does he share all his plans with you regarding who is going to be first choice in each position? Could you ask him who is going to be the centre back pairing this season, I am unable to work it out at the moment.
Are we really counting goals scored against bottom of the league Irish opposition? Do you really think that pre season games against lower level teams will give us a true indication of what to expect in the championship every week?

It'll be Chambers and Webster at the back. Chambers is captain and first name on the team sheet, Mick rates Webster as a future Prem player. Smith has always been the one to miss out when we've had three fit, decent CBs.

It's pretty evident that Garner is going to be first choice, we spent a decent wedge on him and made sure we got him in early. He's a proper number 9 who keeps defenders busy. Didz has always been first choice when fit and I don't see that changing. None of this is rocket science. If you want to believe that an as yet unknown, unsigned striker is going to be coming in to lead the line for us then good for you, but I think you will be disappointed. It'll be someone to offer cover and competition I imagine.

As for Mick, I'm not his friend and nor am I a Mick fan. I'm an Ipswich fan. I've said consistently for over 6 months that he should go/should have gone at the end of the season, however now that hasn't happened then rather than throwing a paddy and being all frowny face about all things Ipswich I'll crack on with supporting the team.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2017 12:00]

Forward thinking on 12:31 - Jul 23 with 6066 viewssundaze

Forward thinking on 11:56 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

It'll be Chambers and Webster at the back. Chambers is captain and first name on the team sheet, Mick rates Webster as a future Prem player. Smith has always been the one to miss out when we've had three fit, decent CBs.

It's pretty evident that Garner is going to be first choice, we spent a decent wedge on him and made sure we got him in early. He's a proper number 9 who keeps defenders busy. Didz has always been first choice when fit and I don't see that changing. None of this is rocket science. If you want to believe that an as yet unknown, unsigned striker is going to be coming in to lead the line for us then good for you, but I think you will be disappointed. It'll be someone to offer cover and competition I imagine.

As for Mick, I'm not his friend and nor am I a Mick fan. I'm an Ipswich fan. I've said consistently for over 6 months that he should go/should have gone at the end of the season, however now that hasn't happened then rather than throwing a paddy and being all frowny face about all things Ipswich I'll crack on with supporting the team.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2017 12:00]

Fair enough, although I don't consider a £1 million a great sum of money to buy a decent striker. There are strikers in lower leagues costing much more, whether they are worth it is another debate, but in today's market £1 million, doesn't get you a top striker. Didz is class, but he doesn't score many and he is injury prone. In my opinion we have still not replaced Murph as a goal scorer and we will still struggle to hit the net again this time around.
Login to get fewer ads

Forward thinking on 12:36 - Jul 23 with 6055 viewsbournemouthblue

Forward thinking on 12:31 - Jul 23 by sundaze

Fair enough, although I don't consider a £1 million a great sum of money to buy a decent striker. There are strikers in lower leagues costing much more, whether they are worth it is another debate, but in today's market £1 million, doesn't get you a top striker. Didz is class, but he doesn't score many and he is injury prone. In my opinion we have still not replaced Murph as a goal scorer and we will still struggle to hit the net again this time around.

Agreed on that, given we were linked with the Wolves lad on loan

It doesn't look like the budget is going to go far on a targetman :(

We clearly need one, I don't believe MM sides can play without one

I'm sure Garner will do a job but if we have any ambition, we need someone alongside him, Sears and McGoldrick

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Forward thinking on 12:46 - Jul 23 with 6009 viewsHerbivore

Forward thinking on 12:36 - Jul 23 by bournemouthblue

Agreed on that, given we were linked with the Wolves lad on loan

It doesn't look like the budget is going to go far on a targetman :(

We clearly need one, I don't believe MM sides can play without one

I'm sure Garner will do a job but if we have any ambition, we need someone alongside him, Sears and McGoldrick

We will definitely bring in another striker, I wouldn't worry too much about that. However it's not going to be a marquee signing I wouldn't have thought, bearing in mind that the Wolves lad on loan was the kind of player we were looking at as a fourth striking option. It'll be someone of that ilk.

Forward thinking on 12:48 - Jul 23 with 6003 viewsHerbivore

Forward thinking on 12:31 - Jul 23 by sundaze

It's all about context and £1m is a lot of money by our standards and to be fair by a lot of clubs standards. It's not as though every side in the league is throwing millions and millions around on players.

Forward thinking on 13:15 - Jul 23 with 5969 viewsdalianwasexciting

Forward thinking on 12:48 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

It's all about context and £1m is a lot of money by our standards and to be fair by a lot of clubs standards. It's not as though every side in the league is throwing millions and millions around on players.

We have to obtain another striker - albeit through the Loan window (maybe a young hungry PL player) or ideally purchase. We missed out on some ideal candidates for a variety of reasons, not least Neil Warnock being a more popular choice than MM! That said the squad has more quality in it already this season, even though not enough bodies. I can see goals from midfield, but only if team selection is right and if the players are allowed to be attacking.

Mentality is a huge thing and often the very nature of the team picked and set out pointed to negativity and ended up being just that way, it must give the opposition all sorts of a lift to see a home team playing a single striker for example.

We actually have a decent handful of youngsters coming through, but of course they need to be played and not all thrown in together in a cup tie!

For me the defence is also an issue and despite what MM will do we really SHOULD be playing Smith and Webster as the pairing.

Poll: Our number one goalkeeper going forward?

Forward thinking on 13:31 - Jul 23 with 5935 viewsmonty_radio

Forward thinking on 11:26 - Jul 23 by bournemouthblue

"Blue Riband, eh"

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Forward thinking on 13:55 - Jul 23 with 5882 viewstractorboy1978

Forward thinking on 12:46 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

We will definitely bring in another striker, I wouldn't worry too much about that. However it's not going to be a marquee signing I wouldn't have thought, bearing in mind that the Wolves lad on loan was the kind of player we were looking at as a fourth striking option. It'll be someone of that ilk.

It's obviously not going to be a multi million pound signing on £20k+ per week but we seem to be in the market for someone with a bit of pedigree and not just a 4th striking option. Bodvarsson certainly wouldn't have come cheaply on a season long loan. If we relying on Garner, Sears and McGoldrick for goals that is dangerous.
Forward thinking on 13:59 - Jul 23 with 5871 viewsHerbivore

Forward thinking on 13:55 - Jul 23 by tractorboy1978

It's obviously not going to be a multi million pound signing on £20k+ per week but we seem to be in the market for someone with a bit of pedigree and not just a 4th striking option. Bodvarsson certainly wouldn't have come cheaply on a season long loan. If we relying on Garner, Sears and McGoldrick for goals that is dangerous.

I don't think anyone, including MM, thinks or expects we'll be relying on just our current three strikers. We'll bring in a fourth striker without a doubt, but probably be a loan I expect as opposed to the marquee signing some are expecting.

Forward thinking on 14:25 - Jul 23 with 5812 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Forward thinking on 13:31 - Jul 23 by monty_radio

"Blue Riband, eh"

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/blue-riband

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Forward thinking on 14:38 - Jul 23 with 5766 viewsHerbivore

Forward thinking on 13:59 - Jul 23 by Herbivore

I don't think anyone, including MM, thinks or expects we'll be relying on just our current three strikers. We'll bring in a fourth striker without a doubt, but probably be a loan I expect as opposed to the marquee signing some are expecting.

Which bit of this did you disagree with, hoofer?

Forward thinking on 14:42 - Jul 23 with 5749 viewsmonty_radio

Forward thinking on 14:25 - Jul 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/blue-riband

Yep - it was a private joke with BB.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Forward thinking on 17:43 - Jul 23 with 5624 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Forward thinking on 14:42 - Jul 23 by monty_radio

Yep - it was a private joke with BB.

.....fair enough then I award myself a

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Forward thinking on 22:54 - Jul 23 with 5515 viewsFreddies_Ears

Forward thinking on 11:37 - Jul 23 by Bluebell

I was going to say the same about Garner. Apparently, according to Mr Bluebell, this goal is being shown on Sky to advertise a betting website.................

Oh wow - what a goal!!!!!

Please do that for us, ideally as one of 30this season!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024