Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. 22:57 - Jul 22 with 13997 viewsSwailsey

For people to emerge calling out Mick.

It's going to be a long season.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:02 - Jul 22 with 6816 viewsKieran_Knows

Didn't expect anything less to be fair.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:06 - Jul 22 with 6799 viewspointofblue

If we go one down during a limp performance against Birmingham the atmosphere at Portman Road will be toxic.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:07 - Jul 22 with 6790 viewsReuser_is_God

On the flip side it's only taken one pre season friendly for everyone to be positive again.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:11 - Jul 22 with 6765 viewsKieran_Knows

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:07 - Jul 22 by Reuser_is_God

On the flip side it's only taken one pre season friendly for everyone to be positive again.

Football fans in being thickle, shocker.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:14 - Jul 22 with 6757 viewsFtnfwest

Wherever these people are they're clearly being unfair. We'd just gone about ten weeks unbeaten
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:15 - Jul 22 with 6752 viewsStNeotsBlue

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:11 - Jul 22 by Kieran_Knows

Football fans in being thickle, shocker.

Up vote if you're being ironic.

If not made me chuckle.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 23:15 - Jul 22 with 6748 viewsBluefish

It is all about results
Not but results but about style of football
Performances
Playing youngsters
Etc
Etc

Pick and choose whatever fits. Mick out etc.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 00:01 - Jul 23 with 6687 viewsITFC_Forever

Shows how disillusioned fans were last season.

That hasn't been forgotten, and confidence from the fans is very fragile as a result.

We're at a decent striker, left-sided CB and maybe a winger shirt at the moment and I have zero confidence that we'll sign any one of those three, never mind all three.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 00:39 - Jul 23 with 6630 viewsmadmouse1959

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 00:01 - Jul 23 by ITFC_Forever

That hasn't been forgotten, and confidence from the fans is very fragile as a result.

We're at a decent striker, left-sided CB and maybe a winger shirt at the moment and I have zero confidence that we'll sign any one of those three, never mind all three.

Personally, I,m not looking forward to this season. The chance to draft in some good players has been a real disappointment so far. If the insults start gathering momentum then it is going to be just like last season all over again. !!! No cup run and most games lost or dawn will mean even more long standing supporters will be lost. Sears, McGoldrick, Chambers, Bru, Skuse have all got to do a lot better after last years shambles.

shampoo dave

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 05:07 - Jul 23 with 6533 viewsBenters

Not really,he should have gone after the Lincoln game.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 08:03 - Jul 23 with 6441 viewsNo9

I did not go yesterday so I am in no psotition to comment on the game however it does not look good when MM played a team where some of the first team were out due to 'illness & injury' ? The season hasn't started yet & he has illness & injury problems??????
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 08:08 - Jul 23 with 6422 viewsBenters

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 08:03 - Jul 23 by No9

I did not go yesterday so I am in no psotition to comment on the game however it does not look good when MM played a team where some of the first team were out due to 'illness & injury' ? The season hasn't started yet & he has illness & injury problems??????

I know someone who went,he says;

Great day out apart from the dross served up from town.

He goes on to say Flynn Downs looks good though.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 08:47 - Jul 23 with 6341 viewsMullet

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 00:01 - Jul 23 by ITFC_Forever

Think that's the big issue, although I still don't know if that's more of a TWTD/social media thing given the space allows for these comments to ferment a bit. At games it was always a different feeling by and large, at least not as bitter.

It'll be a shame if the petty stuff is allowed to dominate this season, after the heights under MM it feels like the narrative hasn't helped things on field and they are obviously interwoven.

I'm a big fan of Smith and Berra lost it last season. Whether he just had his head elsewhere or his career caught up to him, I don't know. But with Tommy coming back, and Webster I'd hope we see two players who really step up, especially if Webster is to be the Prem prospect.

It's a winger/striker for me. One of each really. I think we'll sign at least one more player, the Prem squads etc. might mean it's into August, but I think we have enough capacity and chances to.

Bru is the weird one. I get we're down on CM's temporarily but has he said he'll stay and fight or refused to move on like Tabb did?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:01 - Jul 23 with 6290 viewschristiand

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 08:47 - Jul 23 by Mullet

Think that's the big issue, although I still don't know if that's more of a TWTD/social media thing given the space allows for these comments to ferment a bit. At games it was always a different feeling by and large, at least not as bitter.

It'll be a shame if the petty stuff is allowed to dominate this season, after the heights under MM it feels like the narrative hasn't helped things on field and they are obviously interwoven.

I'm a big fan of Smith and Berra lost it last season. Whether he just had his head elsewhere or his career caught up to him, I don't know. But with Tommy coming back, and Webster I'd hope we see two players who really step up, especially if Webster is to be the Prem prospect.

It's a winger/striker for me. One of each really. I think we'll sign at least one more player, the Prem squads etc. might mean it's into August, but I think we have enough capacity and chances to.

Bru is the weird one. I get we're down on CM's temporarily but has he said he'll stay and fight or refused to move on like Tabb did?

Yes, I agree Mullet. Out of the two, a proven striker is more a priority and it does mean spending money, proper money, not a £1m token effort. And there lies the problem.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:03 - Jul 23 with 6280 viewsmuccletonjoe

2 choices - either get behind the team and make the best of what we have or spend the next 9 months bitching about mcCarthy- which ultimately bores everyone rigid after last season.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:05 - Jul 23 with 6259 viewsBluebell

I must admit I was saying that yesterday.

How many are injured or ill? How come Hyam and Bishop are still not available? There just seems a lot unable to play at the moment.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:07 - Jul 23 with 6247 viewstextbackup

The feeling at every home game wasn't a good one, you base an entire fans thoughts on the barmies sat up the back at Barnsley away
[Post edited 23 Jul 2017 9:08]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:11 - Jul 23 with 6234 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure he can be blamed for that! While negativity after a pre-season friendly defeat is inevitable (and almost always overstated), I thought we were very good in the first half, albeit without scoring which we should have done, and with a couple of lapses towards the end of the half.

Thought the way we kept the ball for long spells was heartening. Downes impressed, as a lot of people have said, Celina is clearly a talent. Second half was a bit of a non-event, we'd started to get going again before the subs when it became a bit of a different game.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:12 - Jul 23 with 6211 viewstractorboy1978

My concern is that he doesn't know his best team or formation. He seemed to say we were looking at 4-4-2 at the start of pre season.

Defence, you've mentioned Smith there, and I would assume he'll start too as Mick likes a left sided centre half to provide balance. However, you would also say that Webster or Chambers won't be benched. So is that 3 at the back? He keeps talking about Iorfa is terms of CB as well.

Midfield, Skuse won't be dropped, Huws will play, instinctively I think we look better with a 3rd player (Adeyemi?) in there as well. But then Celina is going to play and he seems to really like Rowe as well which would suggest wingers playing.

Strikers, McGoldrick will play if fit and Garner isn't a lone target man type. We seem to be in the market for a Murphy type striker as well who can lead the line in that fashion.

In summary, I think we have a lot of good components but I'm not sure how it comes together at the moment, I just hope Mick does.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:13 - Jul 23 with 6206 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:05 - Jul 23 by Bluebell

I must admit I was saying that yesterday.

How many are injured or ill? How come Hyam and Bishop are still not available? There just seems a lot unable to play at the moment.

I think with Hyam they're taking things slowly. I don't think Bish's problem (groin) is too serious, same with Huws (calf/achilles). Adeyemi's on the mend and Skuse has just got the same bug he and Bart had last week. Dozzell has the hip problem he picked up at the Euros but is expected to play on Tuesday.
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:13 - Jul 23 with 6203 viewsMullet

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:11 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

Not sure he can be blamed for that! While negativity after a pre-season friendly defeat is inevitable (and almost always overstated), I thought we were very good in the first half, albeit without scoring which we should have done, and with a couple of lapses towards the end of the half.

Thought the way we kept the ball for long spells was heartening. Downes impressed, as a lot of people have said, Celina is clearly a talent. Second half was a bit of a non-event, we'd started to get going again before the subs when it became a bit of a different game.

What's Downes like exactly? Does he have certain style or similarity to other players you can relate him to?

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:19 - Jul 23 with 6176 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:12 - Jul 23 by tractorboy1978

My concern is that he doesn't know his best team or formation. He seemed to say we were looking at 4-4-2 at the start of pre season.

Defence, you've mentioned Smith there, and I would assume he'll start too as Mick likes a left sided centre half to provide balance. However, you would also say that Webster or Chambers won't be benched. So is that 3 at the back? He keeps talking about Iorfa is terms of CB as well.

Midfield, Skuse won't be dropped, Huws will play, instinctively I think we look better with a 3rd player (Adeyemi?) in there as well. But then Celina is going to play and he seems to really like Rowe as well which would suggest wingers playing.

Strikers, McGoldrick will play if fit and Garner isn't a lone target man type. We seem to be in the market for a Murphy type striker as well who can lead the line in that fashion.

In summary, I think we have a lot of good components but I'm not sure how it comes together at the moment, I just hope Mick does.

I would guess starting with 4-4-2 in every game so far suggests that's what he views as the starting system. Personnel-wise I think we'll get more of an idea at Charlton, although with a few who probably won't be considered for the first game, Huws and Adeyemi most likely.

Interesting re Garner, I see him as the Murphy replacement, albeit not precisely the same, but playing that role. I would guess McGoldrick will be the other striker all things being equal.

This post has been edited by an administrator
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:19 - Jul 23 with 6169 viewsBluebell

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:12 - Jul 23 by tractorboy1978

"My concern is that he doesn't know his best team or formation. He seemed to say we were looking at 4-4-2 at the start of pre season."

Surely that is what pre-season is for? With several new players, he has to find out their best positions and which formation suits the whole team.

I never take any notice of pre-season and never go to the games. To my mind they are nothing games where all the players are given a chance to show their fitness and how they gel together.

The game on 5th August is the most important of the new season where we will see who Mick favours and what they can all do.

I can't wait!
So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:19 - Jul 23 with 6163 viewsMullet

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:01 - Jul 23 by christiand

Yes, I agree Mullet. Out of the two, a proven striker is more a priority and it does mean spending money, proper money, not a £1m token effort. And there lies the problem.

Fees don't really matter if it's the right striker. I'm not sure we'd find one for free now though, and we're likely forced into a loan again. It'd be nice to think we could spend a little and get a lot, maybe the DJ or Stewart type signings but most of MM's best signings have had to be frees on decent contracts.

Scunthorpe and teams of that ilk might be worth raiding. I know Walsall were the team the season before and none of those players really lit things up at this level, but they did ok. Enough to suggest it's about them moving here and fitting here more than anything else.

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:23 - Jul 23 with 6155 viewsPhilTWTD

So it's taken one pre-season defeat.. on 09:13 - Jul 23 by Mullet

What's Downes like exactly? Does he have certain style or similarity to other players you can relate him to?

He likes a tackle, passes it around confidently and yesterday showed he wasn't afraid to bring the ball forward on occasion. As Mick said yesterday, an all-round central midfielder. Got outmuscled a couple of times but he's 18 and playing in one of his first senior games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024