Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few thoughts on today 19:30 - Jul 22 with 7871 viewsSteve_M

Yes, it's pre-season and the result is of little real importance and we were severely lacking in central midfielders - Skuse, Huws, Adeyemi are probably going to be the three who play there most -- but a few things stood out.

The main one is that our biggest failing as a side is nothing to do with hoofing the ball or even individual players but the lack of a clear system and sense of purpose as a side. Too much of what we do feels improvised rather than instinctive; the clarity of approach seen in 2012-13's rearguard effort or the Murphy and McGoldrick partnership in the first half of 2014-15 has yet to be replicated despite the various approaches McCarthy has tried since.

In the first half today we lined up in a 4-4-2, midfield of Celina, Bro, Downs and Ward. At times it worked very well and we played the ball around quite nicely at times, Spence and Ward in particular linked up effectively and the latter looked more effective as a winger than he has for a while. When we didn't play down the right though, everything got rather bogged down in the middle, the tendency to over-play things becoming stronger as the half wore on. We should still have been ahead, Garner and Sears failed to make the most of good opportunities.

For all the criticism of Sears being played wide, he didn't show anything today to suggest he should be played as a central striker either, as ever he worked hard but largely ineffectively. I'm more and more convinced that he's better wide in a 4-3-3.

That said, the switch to 4-3-3 after half-time was a bit bizarre, the front two rows left very spread out and too far away from each other. It was pretty poor stuff as the tempo slowed right down, another recurring theme. At one point we even failed to bother crossing a free kick in, preferring to pass it around aimlessly before losing the ball.

And then we went behind, Lee Martin who looked every bit the waste of money we all remember - late challenges, blasting a free kick well out of play, all mixed with some excellent touches -- went down very easily under a challenge from Chambers (who, frankly should have known better) and Eaves converted the penalty easily.

That was about it for the match, an excellent shot from Celina which came back off the post with the keeper beaten, mass substitutions, a similarly good shot from Wagstaff that beat Bart and a headed consolation from Rowe.

Some other points:
- Left-back: Knudsen is clearly going to be number one scapegoat this season, frustrating on the ball and pretty poor in possession today and yet much more reliable defensively than Kenlock who lost his man three times in the short-time he was on the pitch. The second Gillingham goal came from one of them. Mick will start with Jonas but it will leave a weakness in possession.

- Defence. If we want to play passing football, today's first-half line up won't work. Smith and Knudsen next to each other is too slow in possession, both needing too long to assess options. Given Jonas will start, then Chambers and Webster in the middle would be my preference. We were sloppy at the back throughout today, especially after the first goal so think we should play most of the next two games with the side Mick intends to start in a fortnight.

- Flynn Downes. His performance certainly made the trip worthwhile, did simple things well and almost always played the ball to team mates as well as putting in a lot of effort. That recycling possession simply still stands out a mile in our midfield is a fairly big indictment of Mick and this squad.

- Wingers. As mentioned above, Ward looked pretty effective on the right wing in the first half, Celina despite his evident skill a bit less so. We didn't get the ball to him quickly and he had a lot of players around him. - we'll need to work out how to utilise him effectively. Rowe looked good when he came on too, he had more space after multiple substitutions but has a natural tendency to run at opponents. Maybe an option to bring on against tiring opponents if we aren't going to start both him and Celina.

Match highlight: Tommy Smith dumping Lee Martin on his arse.

Two weeks and two matches to go before Birmingham, I'm more optimistic that a stronger midfield will make the side look a good deal better and yet the nagging doubt remains that we'll just be lacking a bit. We really need to keep to a preferred formation for most matches and let players get comfortable with it and each other. It worked in the Autumn of 2014-15 when we had out best spell under MM in a 4-3-3; we just need to do something similar in terms of set-up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A few thoughts on today on 20:10 - Jul 22 with 7682 viewschristiand

A really good summary Steve. From what you saw today, what do we still need? Do you think it's going to be another season of struggle?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A few thoughts on today on 20:45 - Jul 22 with 7541 viewsIpswichKnight

What was also frustrating was the corners, they were criminally bad today in the first half Only one was played into box properly.

We looked very lightweight up front too.

Agreed about Downs as well the simple things done right also he didn't waste possession either.
A few thoughts on today on 20:50 - Jul 22 with 7532 viewsSteve_M

A few thoughts on today on 20:10 - Jul 22 by christiand

A really good summary Steve. From what you saw today, what do we still need? Do you think it's going to be another season of struggle?

Good question, far easier to identify the problem than solve it.

Firstly, change the defence to add Webster for Smith, at some point Kenlock too but not right now. We definitely need one more first-team ready striker, as Sears' limitations, coupled with McGoldrick's fragility leave us short there. I can't see us scoring a great deal more than last season at the moment.

It's more about having a clear pattern of play though: choose a formation and play it in most matches, change players within it but keep the shape the same most of the time. We've spent too long changing things around, both between games and within them and we really need to revert to our own approach, especially at home.

The final ingredient is confidence. Get off to a good start and it might all look a lot better. I don't think we'll be as poor as last season but I do think there will be a mix of good spells and poor ones - but that is why clubs usually end in mid-table.

A few thoughts on today on 21:17 - Jul 22 with 7413 viewsnshearman1

A few thoughts on today on 20:50 - Jul 22 by Steve_M

Firstly, change the defence to add Webster for Smith, at some point Kenlock too but not right now. We definitely need one more first-team ready striker, as Sears' limitations, coupled with McGoldrick's fragility leave us short there. I can't see us scoring a great deal more than last season at the moment.

It's more about having a clear pattern of play though: choose a formation and play it in most matches, change players within it but keep the shape the same most of the time. We've spent too long changing things around, both between games and within them and we really need to revert to our own approach, especially at home.

The final ingredient is confidence. Get off to a good start and it might all look a lot better. I don't think we'll be as poor as last season but I do think there will be a mix of good spells and poor ones - but that is why clubs usually end in mid-table.

This all makes great sense.
A few thoughts on today on 21:19 - Jul 22 with 7402 viewsjas0999

We look a mid to lower table side currently. Need at least two quality additions to press on.
A few thoughts on today on 21:29 - Jul 22 with 7345 viewschristiand

Good points, hard to disagree. Interesting on here the mood. Yes, it is a disappointing result but pre season is about getting the players match fit and ready for the new season. You can just sense if we get off to a poor start in the league, the mood and the positive optimism will quickly evaporate. Just don't think it is going to take much for this to happen.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A few thoughts on today on 21:47 - Jul 22 with 7265 viewsITFC_Forever

Very concerning that we still have no idea of the formation / shape we are going to go with... everything improvised with no set pattern of play is poor... we still have no idea to cope with life without Murphy virtually a year later.

Going to be another lower half finish and perhaps a cheeky flirt with relegation.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A few thoughts on today on 21:56 - Jul 22 with 7209 viewsReuser_is_God

A few thoughts on today on 21:47 - Jul 22 by ITFC_Forever

Very concerning that we still have no idea of the formation / shape we are going to go with... everything improvised with no set pattern of play is poor... we still have no idea to cope with life without Murphy virtually a year later.

Going to be another lower half finish and perhaps a cheeky flirt with relegation.

What else did we expect?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

A few thoughts on today on 22:25 - Jul 22 with 7108 viewsnshearman1

A few thoughts on today on 21:29 - Jul 22 by christiand

Good points, hard to disagree. Interesting on here the mood. Yes, it is a disappointing result but pre season is about getting the players match fit and ready for the new season. You can just sense if we get off to a poor start in the league, the mood and the positive optimism will quickly evaporate. Just don't think it is going to take much for this to happen.

You're right, but it's not just about the start. Last season we won 4-2, a few years back 3-0 at Bristol City, both turned into deeply deeply disappointing seasons. I admire Mick's attempt to convert to playing the ball through the middle, I just wonder how long it will last if we get a string of poor results.
A few thoughts on today on 22:32 - Jul 22 with 7074 viewsDinnernotTea

A few thoughts on today on 21:47 - Jul 22 by ITFC_Forever

Put bluntly. Unless the old git has a big lump upfront to smash hopeful balls to his teams will never do anything.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

A few thoughts on today on 22:47 - Jul 22 with 7016 viewsRocky

A few thoughts on today on 22:32 - Jul 22 by DinnernotTea

Put bluntly. Unless the old git has a big lump upfront to smash hopeful balls to his teams will never do anything.

I don't think Mick's pevious success has been the big lump upfront. Either at Millwall, Sundeland, Ireland or Wolves. His thing has always been pragmatism - how to get the best results from the squad he has. It's not always been pretty - but it's usually been effective
Not his greatest fan, but the idea that he merely plays to the same system - lump it to a big striker - is clearly wrong.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2017 22:55]
A few thoughts on today on 22:52 - Jul 22 with 6992 viewsDinnernotTea

A few thoughts on today on 22:47 - Jul 22 by Rocky

I don't think Mick's pevious success has been the big lump upfront. Either at Millwall, Sundeland, Ireland or Wolves. His thing has always been pragmatism - how to get the best results from the squad he has. It's not always been pretty - but it's usually been effective
Not his greatest fan, but the idea that he merely plays to the same system - lump it to a big striker - is clearly wrong.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2017 22:55]

Chris Iwelumo. Niall Quinn. Daryl Murphy. I'm sure there's more.

A few thoughts on today on 23:13 - Jul 22 with 6935 viewsRocky

A few thoughts on today on 22:52 - Jul 22 by DinnernotTea

Chris Iwelumo. Niall Quinn. Daryl Murphy. I'm sure there's more.

Niall Quinn was signed for Sunderland By Peter Reid. Murphy was inherited by MM at Ipswich.
A few thoughts on today on 23:14 - Jul 22 with 6931 viewstractorboy1978

I have no idea what our best team or our best system is and neither does Mick.
A few thoughts on today on 23:25 - Jul 22 with 6887 viewsDinnernotTea

A few thoughts on today on 23:13 - Jul 22 by Rocky

Niall Quinn was signed for Sunderland By Peter Reid. Murphy was inherited by MM at Ipswich.

Irrelevant who signed them. The only success this bloke has had is from the 1980s school of 'get it up the big bloke early'.

As you'll see this season if we don't sign someone to 'bully' centre backs then he might just set a new record. The bloke is a joke.

A few thoughts on today on 00:55 - Jul 23 with 6749 viewsLankHenners

A few thoughts on today on 23:25 - Jul 22 by DinnernotTea

Irrelevant who signed them. The only success this bloke has had is from the 1980s school of 'get it up the big bloke early'.

As you'll see this season if we don't sign someone to 'bully' centre backs then he might just set a new record. The bloke is a joke.

Garner is a notorious centre back bullier.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

A few thoughts on today on 06:30 - Jul 23 with 6602 viewshadleighboyblue

Midfield looks potentially better this year , it would be great if Downes is good enough for 1st team , but doubt he will replace MM's favourite Skues .

Forwards look lightweight , hopefully Garner will prove a useful signing , but neither Sears and McColdrick are prolific scorers and too lightweight , so at least one other forward is needed .

Defence poses a few questions , surely Webster has to play , but he's unlikely to replace Chambers . Berra had a poor season , but we will miss his experience . Both full back positions are up for grabs . I'm not convinced Chambers and Smith together are a very solid partnership .

Another big question has to be the manager's position ............is this his last season here ? in which case , he will probably want to play things very safe , which could mean another boring season .

He really should have gone last season and if things don't start well , all of last season's bad atmosphere will quickly return
A few thoughts on today on 06:34 - Jul 23 with 6590 viewsBenters

A few thoughts on today on 21:56 - Jul 22 by Reuser_is_God

What else did we expect?

I expect the same sort of season as last.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

A few thoughts on today on 06:42 - Jul 23 with 6578 viewsBenters

A few thoughts on today on 00:55 - Jul 23 by LankHenners

Garner is a notorious centre back bullier.

Who is also famed for bookings.

Gentlybentley

A few thoughts on today on 07:01 - Jul 23 with 6539 viewsDinnernotTea

A few thoughts on today on 06:42 - Jul 23 by Benters

Who is also famed for bookings.

And not scoring goals at this level.

A few thoughts on today on 07:11 - Jul 23 with 6504 viewsBenters

A few thoughts on today on 07:01 - Jul 23 by DinnernotTea

And not scoring goals at this level.

and that!

Gentlybentley

A few thoughts on today on 10:12 - Jul 23 with 6290 viewsSteve_M

A few thoughts on today on 22:32 - Jul 22 by DinnernotTea

Not true. His Wolves side that got promoted were about quick wingers taking the ball forward quickly.

Even in the play-off season, our good first half of the season was as much to do with McGoldrick being excellent as it was Murphy.

The problem at the moment is that we don't have a clear approach or pattern of play, rather than anything to do with hoofing the ball or lack thereof.

A few thoughts on today on 10:24 - Jul 23 with 6261 viewsDinnernotTea

A few thoughts on today on 10:12 - Jul 23 by Steve_M

Not true. His Wolves side that got promoted were about quick wingers taking the ball forward quickly.

Even in the play-off season, our good first half of the season was as much to do with McGoldrick being excellent as it was Murphy.

The problem at the moment is that we don't have a clear approach or pattern of play, rather than anything to do with hoofing the ball or lack thereof.

Not true. That Wolves side used Iwelumo as much as we used Murphy (get it to him early and feed off scraps). Rarely did we feed McG with scintillating football. A lot of his goals in that season was picking up second balls from Murphy and being deadly from 20/25 yards. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever but when you don't have that type of player anymore it's irritating the manager won't know how else to play.

A few thoughts on today on 17:25 - Jul 23 with 5949 viewsBlueNomad

A few thoughts on today on 23:13 - Jul 22 by Rocky

Oh come on! Don't let reality get in the way of an anti-Mick diatribe!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024