Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dunkirk 16:25 - Jul 21 with 9078 viewsJoeSoap

Went to see the film this morning. Blimey it was good.

Wasn't expecting too much, and I'm not a regular cinema goer, but thought it was a brilliant movie, would highly recommend it.

per procurationem. Barry Norman's Ghost.

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

Dunkirk on 16:27 - Jul 21 with 9061 viewsKieran_Knows

Will try and get to watch that this weekend, if not next weekend. The trailer looked bloody good for it, so glad to hear it lives up to expectation!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Dunkirk on 17:20 - Jul 21 with 8965 viewsEdwardStone

How you doing Mr Soap? Hope all is well with you and yours

I'm off to see Dunkirk tomorrow....it's been getting many good reviews

Looking forward to it even more now
Dunkirk on 17:23 - Jul 21 with 8953 viewsflimflam

Been looking forward to this for age being a bit of a war history geek.

Am expecting mixed emotions though cause those are British (and French) kids being blown to smithereens!!

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Dunkirk on 17:33 - Jul 21 with 8924 viewsconnorscontract

Is that that new film about One Direction going back in time to try and stop Hitler with a load of other teenagers?

The adverts for it were split into lots of different bits, so I may have got the wrong end of the stick
Dunkirk on 17:36 - Jul 21 with 8906 viewsSteve_M

Fairly accurate by film standards I think, this is interesting on that subject:

http://www.griffonmerlin.com/2017/07/19/dunkirk-does-historical-accuracy-matter/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Dunkirk on 17:38 - Jul 21 with 8897 viewsJoeSoap

Dunkirk on 17:20 - Jul 21 by EdwardStone

How you doing Mr Soap? Hope all is well with you and yours

I'm off to see Dunkirk tomorrow....it's been getting many good reviews

Looking forward to it even more now

I'm really good at the moment thanks, Mrs Soap sends her love.

Dunkirk on 17:58 - Jul 21 with 8833 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Also saw it this morning, did the weather changes not distract you?

Tom Hardy flying around in bright sunshine over a perfectly flat sea whilst on Dunkirk beach, theres a force 10 blowing.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Dunkirk on 18:19 - Jul 21 with 8790 viewsPinewoodblue

Long time since a war film depicting an historic British event wasn't altered to give it, for increased box office appeal, an American angle,

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Dunkirk on 18:27 - Jul 21 with 8775 viewsJoeSoap

Dunkirk on 17:58 - Jul 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

Also saw it this morning, did the weather changes not distract you?

Tom Hardy flying around in bright sunshine over a perfectly flat sea whilst on Dunkirk beach, theres a force 10 blowing.

I did notice grey skies above the beach and blue skies in the air, I also noticed the spitfire fly for a very long time without it's engine. But hey, I still loved it, perhaps I'm easily pleased.

Dunkirk on 19:53 - Jul 21 with 8673 viewsWestover

Has the film got a story? unlike Saving private Ryan which I thought was very poor
Dunkirk on 12:42 - Jul 22 with 8378 viewsOsborneOneNil

A good chunk of this was filmed here in Weymouth, quite an event for our seaside town.
Dunkirk on 13:30 - Jul 22 with 8328 viewsWeWereZombies

Dunkirk on 19:53 - Jul 21 by Westover

Has the film got a story? unlike Saving private Ryan which I thought was very poor

Well, apart from stopping a mother losing every one of her six (?) sons and an examination of wartime 'feel good' tales and an account of the campaign in the weeks following D-day, yeah, no story whatsoever...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Dunkirk - hopefully no spoilers on 08:41 - Jul 23 with 8095 viewsMullet

Saw it last night in a packed cinema screen (which seems a rarer event these days) and have to say I'm glad I didn't read anything about it beforehand. I love Nolan's films and this was his usual detailed and engrossing level.

I still remember first learning about it at school aged about 9 and a teacher just going off on a tangent and giving a few of us a lecture about it one lunch time. Weird how that sticks more than some history lessons. Finally seeing something this large and focused on Dunkirk is really worthwhile on the big screen.

The score really makes it and especially in Tom Hardy's case, not having too much dialogue really builds the tension and gets you hooked. There were a couple of bits that I think might have been historically dubious, and there wasn't too much Hollywood gloss either compared to most WW2 films.

Still think Styles was unforgiveable. Especially when Rylance and Murphy were such highlights right the way through. He simply can't act, and you wonder how many takes they did before settling for that and just editing the hell out of him. It is a real weak point, when it drops into Hollyoaks level stuff.

Thought it was interesting so many pensioners came out to see it, showing they didn't really need the cynical youth marketing. I'm guessing many of them were close enough to the events.

Sat on the sofa last night out of nowhere Mother informed me "My Dad's Uncle was there.... never talked about it though". Something she's failed to mention ever before in the previous 3 decades or so.

At some point I'd like to trace back all of the men who served on both sides of the family. Watching this reminds you really quickly what risks and terror they all took and sometimes survived. You'll never convince me the prospect of drowning is anything other than terrifying either.

Saving Private Ryan is still the benchmark for me. Maybe because it's so brutal and I was 14 when it came out. This is the best since of that genre/ilk and all the better for feeling like a very British affair.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Dunkirk on 08:48 - Jul 23 with 8079 viewsunbelievablue

LOL.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Dunkirk on 09:13 - Jul 23 with 8034 viewsBurwell_Blue

Dunkirk on 08:48 - Jul 23 by unbelievablue

LOL.

It was American nonsense.
Dunkirk on 09:35 - Jul 23 with 7997 viewsCoastalblue

I went yesterday afternoon and really enjoyed it, I thought it was very powerful and more so thanks to mostly just getting on with it in a matter of fact way. It took me a few minutes to settle into the way the timeline had been done but it felt natural after that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Dunkirk on 10:27 - Jul 23 with 7946 viewsEdwardStone

I remember watching a slightly alternative version of this film.

The first 15 minutes of the film graphically depicted the horror and suffering of the situation....bloodshed and despair as naïve youth struggled to comprehend this hellish reality

"Shaving Ryan's Privates" was the version I saw
Dunkirk on 10:39 - Jul 23 with 7917 viewsEdwardStone

Dunkirk on 09:35 - Jul 23 by Coastalblue

I went yesterday afternoon and really enjoyed it, I thought it was very powerful and more so thanks to mostly just getting on with it in a matter of fact way. It took me a few minutes to settle into the way the timeline had been done but it felt natural after that.

Saw "Dunkirk" yesterday evening.....

Powerful, as you say but I couldn't get with the strange timeline thang

I suppose that my main thought is the story was already written, trying to put an accurate historical film together of a huge event will always be tricky because there are too many boundaries. The result is a bit clunky and flat-footed, bit like the Battle of Britain film. Well intentioned, reasonably accurate but we already know the end of the story

I thought that they could have splashed out for a few more extras for the beach scenes.....didn't look like 400 000 squaddies trying to get away, more like 400
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024