Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The unanimous boo boy of choice 10:30 - Jul 21 with 29507 viewsBluefish

Is definitely Skuse then. How long can he keep the title for before the flakes find a new target?? I reckon October and then it will move to Mcgoldrick

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 10:31 - Jul 21 with 7602 viewsSteve_M

If Jonas plays ahead of Kenlock there could be some competition.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 10:33 - Jul 21 with 7595 viewsOsborneOneNil

I wouldn't say he's the unanimous choice. Many of us see his limitations and how he holds us back, but some seem to be in love with him and think he should be the first name down.

Maybe because MM said he's Premiership class........which is just hilarious.
Imagine a team with..... on 10:35 - Jul 21 with 7588 viewsBloots

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 10:31 - Jul 21 by Steve_M

If Jonas plays ahead of Kenlock there could be some competition.

....Gerks, Jonas and Skuse in it.

The barmies would be so confused that they'd probably end up supporting the team.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 10:36 - Jul 21 with 7579 viewsBloots

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 10:33 - Jul 21 by OsborneOneNil

I wouldn't say he's the unanimous choice. Many of us see his limitations and how he holds us back, but some seem to be in love with him and think he should be the first name down.

....with 4 attacking midfielders?

You decide.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 10:37 - Jul 21 with 7572 viewsDanTheMan

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 10:36 - Jul 21 by Bloots

You decide.

But he only passes sideways!?!?!!

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 10:40 - Jul 21 with 7555 viewsBluefish

He probably should. If the midfield has enough creative talent and we now have lots in the squad he provides the perfect balance.

The bloke reads the game superbly.

I don't care if he doesnt score a single goal or get an assist ever again he can still be our best player.

Many of the greatest teams ever did so with a similar sort of player at the expense of a quality flair player

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 10:42 - Jul 21 with 7545 viewsBlueBadger

Dozzel, Smith or Bishop if they get regular games are a solid outside bet, I reckon. One of thems an honest if limited lad and the other two are young and a bit flash. Plus Bishop has the added bonus of an 'attitude problem' because he's got tattoos and uses social media.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 10:48]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 10:46 - Jul 21 with 7527 viewsLankHenners

The 'Skuse is a bad player' brigade are so vocal and froth at the mouth so much that every time someone counters it with 'I personally think he plays a very important role, but accept that he's been under par over the last season' you fly off the handle and lash out like a banshee having a fit and get all upset.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 10:58 - Jul 21 with 7485 viewsOsborneOneNil

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 10:36 - Jul 21 by Bloots

You decide.

No, just a more effective holding player. When/if we ever get a decent player in for this role, it'll all become clear.

Skuse isn't bad. He's just not that good.
The unanimous boo boy of choice on 11:02 - Jul 21 with 7467 viewschicoazul

I think if he gets on the team it will be Grant Ward as he fits the criteria. Could be Knudsen because for some reason the Ipswich left back always gets it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:03 - Jul 21 with 7464 viewsblueislander

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 10:58 - Jul 21 by OsborneOneNil

No, just a more effective holding player. When/if we ever get a decent player in for this role, it'll all become clear.

Skuse isn't bad. He's just not that good.

Basically he is just very limited. Surely midfielders should be able to defend effectively , and offer some attacking creativity?
Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:08 - Jul 21 with 7430 viewsOsborneOneNil

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:03 - Jul 21 by blueislander

Basically he is just very limited. Surely midfielders should be able to defend effectively , and offer some attacking creativity?

Indeed. That's the point. He isn't 'rubbish' or 'shocking', he is just extremely limited.
Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:13 - Jul 21 with 7415 viewschicoazul

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:03 - Jul 21 by blueislander

All the best CMs can do 2 of the 3 key things for their position very well; scoring, tackling, passing. Skuse is ok at 2 of them.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:13 - Jul 21 with 7415 viewsBluefish

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:08 - Jul 21 by OsborneOneNil

Indeed. That's the point. He isn't 'rubbish' or 'shocking', he is just extremely limited.

Are goalkeepers limited because they don't score and get assists?

Are target man strikers limited because they don't take players on?

Are centre backs limited because they don't do step overs?

Skuse is an intelligent game reading defensive midfielder and a very good one. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:17 - Jul 21 with 7404 viewsblueislander

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:13 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

Skuse is an intelligent game reading defensive midfielder and a very good one. Why is this so hard to grasp?

He rarely makes a tackle, and is very slow. Reasonably good target men do take defenders on. Even Darryl Murphy who was pretty average did this. Your other two analogies are plainly ridiculous.
Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:18 - Jul 21 with 7389 viewsJosebadleg

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:13 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

He slows the game down so much and if it starts going badly in the match he starts to hide. When receiving the ball from the CB's he very rarely, if ever, turns and tries to play it forward. Just passes it straight back the CB's who then in turn hoof it up the pitch because they are under pressure.
He's not the worse player we ever had but is painfully one dimensional.

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:19 - Jul 21 with 7383 viewsBluefish

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:17 - Jul 21 by blueislander

He rarely makes a tackle, and is very slow. Reasonably good target men do take defenders on. Even Darryl Murphy who was pretty average did this. Your other two analogies are plainly ridiculous.

He rarely makes a tackle? Do you not watch or are we just going to make things up? He also intercepts so many through reading he doesn't need to tackle.

Skuse is always my barometer for people that have a clue about football. If you can't see the value then you don't appreciate the game and should stick to watching highlights

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 11:23 - Jul 21 with 7365 viewsBlueBadger

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 11:02 - Jul 21 by chicoazul

I think if he gets on the team it will be Grant Ward as he fits the criteria. Could be Knudsen because for some reason the Ipswich left back always gets it.

Full backs in general suffer, it seems to me. Probably something to do with them generally being closest on the pitch to a lot of supporters.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:28 - Jul 21 with 7343 viewsblueislander

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:19 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

He rarely makes a tackle? Do you not watch or are we just going to make things up? He also intercepts so many through reading he doesn't need to tackle.

Skuse is always my barometer for people that have a clue about football. If you can't see the value then you don't appreciate the game and should stick to watching highlights

We will agree to differ, and your offensiveness is forgiven. I have been watching Town for over 60 years, and in that time, we have had dozens of midfielders who were equally competent at attacking and defending.
Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:30 - Jul 21 with 7335 viewsMattinLondon

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:19 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

Firstly, I think you need a new barometer

The thing is players like JET are told that they have to improve their defensive side of their game in order to fit into MM philosophy. Track back and do the ‘ugly things’ which is how MM regularly describe it and I can see his point.

But surly that should work both ways — Skuse hardly ever runs forward or contributes in the final third and at times it is like playing with an extra defender. A good defensive midfielder will be aggressive as well as being able to pass like how a midfielder should.

Having Skuse in the team is like having a flair player who scores a spectacular goal once every three months — sure you remember their good games —but often it is simply bang average.
The unanimous boo boy of choice on 11:30 - Jul 21 with 7328 viewssolemio

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 11:23 - Jul 21 by BlueBadger

Full backs in general suffer, it seems to me. Probably something to do with them generally being closest on the pitch to a lot of supporters.

Quite right. Mills and Burley spent most of their time being booed.
Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:37 - Jul 21 with 7291 viewsLankHenners

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:30 - Jul 21 by MattinLondon

Firstly, I think you need a new barometer

The thing is players like JET are told that they have to improve their defensive side of their game in order to fit into MM philosophy. Track back and do the ‘ugly things’ which is how MM regularly describe it and I can see his point.

But surly that should work both ways — Skuse hardly ever runs forward or contributes in the final third and at times it is like playing with an extra defender. A good defensive midfielder will be aggressive as well as being able to pass like how a midfielder should.

Having Skuse in the team is like having a flair player who scores a spectacular goal once every three months — sure you remember their good games —but often it is simply bang average.

The main Skuse frustration is that he's perfectly capable of more in an attacking sense but either by instruction or his own decisions rarely shows it. Not that he 'only passes sideways and backwards' like people like to claim anyway, but he had a much better range of passing a few years ago, but like Berra (for e.g.) regressed a bit over the last year or so.

Hopefully if he has a better midfielder(s) in there alongside him we'll see him regain a bit of form.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:42 - Jul 21 with 7271 viewsSteve_M

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:37 - Jul 21 by LankHenners

The main Skuse frustration is that he's perfectly capable of more in an attacking sense but either by instruction or his own decisions rarely shows it. Not that he 'only passes sideways and backwards' like people like to claim anyway, but he had a much better range of passing a few years ago, but like Berra (for e.g.) regressed a bit over the last year or so.

Hopefully if he has a better midfielder(s) in there alongside him we'll see him regain a bit of form.

I think Skuse plays within himself anyway but that is exacerbated by MM's innate conservatism in team set-up. Add the two together and it can be very uninspiring.

Skuse at his best is better than that, but like too many of our players hasn't consistently reached that level over the last two seasons. Then again, how many players did play consistently well last season?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:43 - Jul 21 with 7263 viewsMullet

Or maybe it's because no team can play..... on 11:17 - Jul 21 by blueislander

That is such nonsense and shows you don't watch him very closely at all. He isn't a natural athlete and compensates for that perfectly. Watch Izzy Brown's goal for Hudds last season and you'll see what having someone as green as Dozzell does to the whole midfield, yet Skuse got the blame for that one, despite Gerken also making a dubiously late move for the ball.

His reading of the game is the reason why he often anticipates needing to dive in like Hyam. When he does get forced to slide in he rarely loses out, his timing is wonderful.

The fact you go on to call Murphy average is equally baffling.

No one is going to claim Skuse is a one man midfield which seems to be his critics main issue, but you don't need to make stuff up. If you look at his time here overall he's possibly the most important player MM has signed and there's a reason why he's ever present even when the team is flying or falling down.

Leadbitter and McA got very similar treatment from people who don't bother to look beyond 5 minute windows and their preconceptions. Watch the playoff season back and look at the impact Skuse had on Bishop's game for a simple example of how poor some of these ideas are. He is a significant factor in the reason we were able to stifle so many teams and hit them with clinical moves that saw us win so often.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 11:50 - Jul 21 with 7233 viewsBinner

The unanimous boo boy of choice on 11:30 - Jul 21 by solemio

Quite right. Mills and Burley spent most of their time being booed.

And, more recently, Cresswell and Mings...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024