Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing 09:22 - Jul 20 with 37541 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/17/uk-has-nearly-800-livestock-

As I've said previously, there is simply no way we can sustain our current level of animal product consumption in terms of both volume and competitive pricing.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:13 - Jul 20 with 6235 viewsDolly2.0

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 15:51 - Jul 20 by Ryorry

Yeah cos I really support mistreating animals, having spent 20 years running my own 100% ethical organic smallholding, half a century opposing factory farming, and now only buying ethically produced, freerange or wild meat
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 15:53]

What point were you trying to make then? Apologies if I've misunderstood but you seemed to be providing an excuse for factory farming.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:15 - Jul 20 with 6227 viewsRyorry

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:13 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

What point were you trying to make then? Apologies if I've misunderstood but you seemed to be providing an excuse for factory farming.

Oh dear, you do misconstrue quite a lot.

I was simply replying to Callis' point "My logic to getting where I am was if you saw it happen to a dog or a cat would it bother you? Once my head was in that way of thinking it was hard to continue supporting it."

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:18 - Jul 20 with 6205 viewsDolly2.0

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:15 - Jul 20 by Ryorry

Oh dear, you do misconstrue quite a lot.

I was simply replying to Callis' point "My logic to getting where I am was if you saw it happen to a dog or a cat would it bother you? Once my head was in that way of thinking it was hard to continue supporting it."

As i said, apologies if I misunderstood. If you read back it's easy to see why I read it like that. You seemed to be countering his point rather than backing it up.

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:22 - Jul 20 with 6188 viewsRyorry

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:18 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

As i said, apologies if I misunderstood. If you read back it's easy to see why I read it like that. You seemed to be countering his point rather than backing it up.

Internet comms eh!

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:22 - Jul 20 with 6185 viewsJ2BLUE

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:12 - Jul 20 by Ryorry

Absolutely.

They didn't know a thing about dying. One second they were here, the next they were completely oblivious to anything. Hope I go the same way - could have done with less pain/problems along the way myself tho!

That's how I want my meat produced. Nice one. I can't imagine for a second any of your animals have ever been anywhere near mistreated.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:23 - Jul 20 with 6179 viewsStirlingArcher

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 13:57 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

I've seen Seagulls in Ipswich centre kill and eat pigeons.

Technically, you've seen gulls kill and eat pigeons.
"There are many gull species, all commonly referred to as sea gulls"

just a small irk of mine ;)

As for growing crops, are you pro or anti GM crops?
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:32 - Jul 20 with 6160 viewsRyorry

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:22 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

That's how I want my meat produced. Nice one. I can't imagine for a second any of your animals have ever been anywhere near mistreated.

Thank you :) The nearest they got was mistreating each other - henpecked originated from somewhere! and the bantams (had those as they instinctively bred themselves, rather than modern hens) all had individual characters - domineering, submissive, calm, placid, nervous, friendly, shy etc etc. Pigs can chew each others' tails. Lambs mount each other (whatever the gender!). All less of a problem in free-range conditions where there are other things for them to do of course.

Vermin were a big problem - rats would regularly take turkey chicks, and very little you could do about it as they'd get through tiny gaps, and of course I couldn't put poison down.

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:46 - Jul 20 with 6144 viewsgerard1947

I've been a veggie for 30 years purely because eating an animal just isn't for me. I do eat eggs albeit from my own hens. None of my hens are killed unless they are ill.

I fully respect and understand the right for those that choose to eat meat to do so as long as it is compassionately reared and humanely killed. Indeed our countryside would be a much different, and poorer place without farmed animals, principally cattle and sheep. Grazing animals are vital to maintain the natural habitat that supports much of our insects, animals and bird life. If we hadn't got meat eaters I doubt we'd have those grazing animals.

I think being veggie or vegan is a bit like being religious, it is your right to say what you are and what you believe but not to force your views on others.
Login to get fewer ads

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:57 - Jul 20 with 6115 viewsGlasgowBlue

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 16:46 - Jul 20 by gerard1947

I've been a veggie for 30 years purely because eating an animal just isn't for me. I do eat eggs albeit from my own hens. None of my hens are killed unless they are ill.

I fully respect and understand the right for those that choose to eat meat to do so as long as it is compassionately reared and humanely killed. Indeed our countryside would be a much different, and poorer place without farmed animals, principally cattle and sheep. Grazing animals are vital to maintain the natural habitat that supports much of our insects, animals and bird life. If we hadn't got meat eaters I doubt we'd have those grazing animals.

I think being veggie or vegan is a bit like being religious, it is your right to say what you are and what you believe but not to force your views on others.

Can't argue with a word of that mate.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:04 - Jul 20 with 6100 viewsBluebell

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 12:18 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

He can go and walk my sisters dog if he's that desperate, like she used to have to when she was younger with my Uncles!

She used to walk your uncles?
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:27 - Jul 20 with 6074 viewsDolly2.0

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:04 - Jul 20 by Bluebell

She used to walk your uncles?

That's a euphemism in Norfolk.

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:32 - Jul 20 with 6067 viewsgiant_stow

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:27 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

That's a euphemism in Norfolk.

racist

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:34 - Jul 20 with 6065 viewssparks

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:32 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

racist

Seagulls are low in fat too.

Very healthy option.

We could put up nets near cliffs, and just farm them.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 17:34]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:42 - Jul 20 with 6053 viewsgiant_stow

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:34 - Jul 20 by sparks

Very healthy option.

They must taste like a cross between meat and fish though - icky.

I'll stick to squirral.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 18:02 - Jul 20 with 6034 viewsvapour_trail

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 17:34 - Jul 20 by sparks

Very healthy option.

Have you eaten one then bully?

I'd be interested to try, there's big mofos knocking around on my part of the coast.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 18:21 - Jul 20 with 6016 viewsgiant_stow

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 18:02 - Jul 20 by vapour_trail

Have you eaten one then bully?

I'd be interested to try, there's big mofos knocking around on my part of the coast.

Got an air gun? Introduce some sport into your experiments...

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 18:32 - Jul 20 with 5995 viewsjeera

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 18:21 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

Got an air gun? Introduce some sport into your experiments...

Air gun?

They're pretty tough those creatures.

They'd probably just take the hit of the pellet and spit the thing back at ya.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:30 - Jul 20 with 5928 viewsLord_Lucan

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:34 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

I was vegetarian for 3 years well over a decade ago. I've been experimenting on/off with veganism for over 2 years.

What you choose to do in life is a personal thing. Have you ever considered keeping your opinions to yourself? Serious question.

I don't bombard you about the merits of vac beds do I.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:42 - Jul 20 with 5914 viewssparks

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:30 - Jul 20 by Lord_Lucan

What you choose to do in life is a personal thing. Have you ever considered keeping your opinions to yourself? Serious question.

I have been assaulted by seagulls and have seen a security guard bleeding from a seagull attack at the same location.

I swung a guitar case at the little C-beak but it kept coming. So food and pest control in one...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:43 - Jul 20 with 5911 viewsDolly2.0

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:30 - Jul 20 by Lord_Lucan

This is an open forum. That's one of the joys of it. I like Callis and I don't feel like he preaches to me. I'm a meat eater that likes blood visible in his steaks, so Callis is never going to change me. I respect his views though. I respect his different musical tastes as well, even though a lot of it sounds like violin bows being dragged over metal railings to me.

What's a vac bed? i'm intrigued.

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:51 - Jul 20 with 5903 viewstcblue

Fact of the day, that isn't blood in your steak
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:57 - Jul 20 with 5894 viewsGlasgowBlue

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:43 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

This is an open forum. That's one of the joys of it. I like Callis and I don't feel like he preaches to me. I'm a meat eater that likes blood visible in his steaks, so Callis is never going to change me. I respect his views though. I respect his different musical tastes as well, even though a lot of it sounds like violin bows being dragged over metal railings to me.

What's a vac bed? i'm intrigued.

He doesn't respect your view though.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 22:15 - Jul 20 with 5863 viewsDolly2.0

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:57 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

He doesn't respect your view though.

I've met him several times in real life and he's always convivial. So I think he does.

Being passionate about what you believe in doesn't equate to lack of respect for people who don't believe in the same thing.

I hope you know that although we disagree on some things (and you lied about me, which I tried hard to get you to admit to but to your credit you avoided like a true politician) I respect your views.

It may not always come across but I respect the views of everyone on here.

Well, not Benters, obvs.

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 23:37 - Jul 20 with 5836 viewsjeera

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 21:42 - Jul 20 by sparks

I have been assaulted by seagulls and have seen a security guard bleeding from a seagull attack at the same location.

I swung a guitar case at the little C-beak but it kept coming. So food and pest control in one...

I bought fish and chips at Southwold and the critters were waiting for me for to come out of the cabin.

I had visions of sitting there waterside watching the boats whilst eating my lunch, but instead ran a gauntlet to the safety of my car. ..

They don't mess about do they.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 00:49 - Jul 21 with 5806 viewsRyorry

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 18:32 - Jul 20 by jeera

Air gun?

They're pretty tough those creatures.

They'd probably just take the hit of the pellet and spit the thing back at ya.

Air gun pellets do tend to bounce off the shiny wing and back feathers of birds, you have to get em in the fluffy under-belly!

The worst dive-bombers are the Great Skuas, a constant menace when walking the cliff-tops in Orkney esp during the breeding season - some form of headgear is definitely recommended!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/g/g

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024