Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing 09:22 - Jul 20 with 37742 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/17/uk-has-nearly-800-livestock-

As I've said previously, there is simply no way we can sustain our current level of animal product consumption in terms of both volume and competitive pricing.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:24 - Jul 20 with 10045 viewsfactual_blue

If we got rid of all the vegetarians in the world, there'd be no problem about sustaining the production of meat.

[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 9:30]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:25 - Jul 20 with 10034 viewsWD19

The population and our consumption levels are rising.

However, it is not a problem and there is nothing unsustainable about it. You just don't like it, which is your prerogative. Every individual will have to make a choice re: pricing and what they are prepared to eat/accept.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 9:26]
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:30 - Jul 20 with 10004 viewsmonytowbray

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:25 - Jul 20 by WD19

However, it is not a problem and there is nothing unsustainable about it. You just don't like it, which is your prerogative. Every individual will have to make a choice re: pricing and what they are prepared to eat/accept.

Many people do have a problem with it though, they just turn a blind eye to it, which if you did to the treatment of humans would be considered an outrage.

Even many of the meat eaters in DOOM VEGAN THREAD agreed intensive farming is cruel and try to avoid it.

TWTD never forgets…

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:32 - Jul 20 with 9999 viewsitfcjoe

Some of the language in there is strange and can see why once you take the plunge it's hard to turn back.

"Last year, we grew almost a billion birds....."

'Grew' seems totally the wrong word when talking about chickens - makes them sound like blades of grass or flowers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:32 - Jul 20 with 9998 viewsCoco

Amazing what a girlfriend and some aggressive propaganda can do.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:34 - Jul 20 with 9987 viewsmonytowbray

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:32 - Jul 20 by Coco

Amazing what a girlfriend and some aggressive propaganda can do.

I was vegetarian for 3 years well over a decade ago. I've been experimenting on/off with veganism for over 2 years.

TWTD never forgets…

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:35 - Jul 20 with 9980 viewsmonytowbray

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:32 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

Some of the language in there is strange and can see why once you take the plunge it's hard to turn back.

"Last year, we grew almost a billion birds....."

'Grew' seems totally the wrong word when talking about chickens - makes them sound like blades of grass or flowers

That's what they are seen as though. It's pretty grim. My logic to getting where I am was if you saw it happen to a dog or a cat would it bother you? Once my head was in that way of thinking it was hard to continue supporting it.

TWTD never forgets…

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:38 - Jul 20 with 9969 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:34 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

I was vegetarian for 3 years well over a decade ago. I've been experimenting on/off with veganism for over 2 years.

Experimenting?

So you picked convenient times when you had morals? Depending on when you fancied a burger?

Poll: Best Football Song

Login to get fewer ads

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:41 - Jul 20 with 9953 viewsfactual_blue

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:30 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

Many people do have a problem with it though, they just turn a blind eye to it, which if you did to the treatment of humans would be considered an outrage.

Even many of the meat eaters in DOOM VEGAN THREAD agreed intensive farming is cruel and try to avoid it.

I don't want vegans rammed down my throat.

Unless of course they've been force-fed maize and have delicious livers.......

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:42 - Jul 20 with 9955 viewsitfcjoe

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:35 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

That's what they are seen as though. It's pretty grim. My logic to getting where I am was if you saw it happen to a dog or a cat would it bother you? Once my head was in that way of thinking it was hard to continue supporting it.

I think sometimes ignorance is bliss - but also the fact that eating well for lower price involves this meat makes it a very difficult choice for families.

I'm in a position where I can afford to be more picky and eat better quality, but that's only recent and with Mrs on maternity leave if we look to tighten belts as her pay has now stopped it will be considered to drift back.

I think it also helps that I'm not an animal lover of any real sort either - don't particularly like cats and dogs and have never (and will never) have pets so may be a bit easier for me!

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:44 - Jul 20 with 9937 viewsmonytowbray

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:38 - Jul 20 by RoyKeanesDog

Experimenting?

So you picked convenient times when you had morals? Depending on when you fancied a burger?

No, I had an ongoing battle with my morals and eating meat for a long time before I finally managed to phase it out completely.

I've said here previously even before I was completely vegan I was against meat consumption and it was something I wanted to stop doing.

It had nothing to do with convenience.

TWTD never forgets…

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:46 - Jul 20 with 9924 viewsStokieBlue

I don't think anyone likes mass farming like the article highlights, that was clear from the other thread. It doesn't mean people want to stop eating meat though.

What are your thoughts on lab grown meat?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:51 - Jul 20 with 9908 viewsmonytowbray

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:46 - Jul 20 by StokieBlue

I don't think anyone likes mass farming like the article highlights, that was clear from the other thread. It doesn't mean people want to stop eating meat though.

What are your thoughts on lab grown meat?

SB

Lab grown meat I am 100% for. I'd eat it.

TWTD never forgets…

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:51 - Jul 20 with 9901 viewschicoazul

callis is your life so dull and devoid of meaning that you have to come on here and try to start the same old tired boring arguments that were had last week?

[offensive section removed by admin]

This post has been edited by an administrator

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:56 - Jul 20 with 9885 viewsGeoffSentence

Have an happy for the fabulous play on words.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:56 - Jul 20 with 9885 viewsmonytowbray

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:51 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

callis is your life so dull and devoid of meaning that you have to come on here and try to start the same old tired boring arguments that were had last week?

Really? There is no argument here. It's civil discussion. The only person who has barged into this thread looking for a row by throwing around personal insults is you.

You've just proven what I already knew about you. As Axl Rose once said; Welcome to the div list.

TWTD never forgets…

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 10:01 - Jul 20 with 9852 viewsStokieBlue

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:51 - Jul 20 by monytowbray

Lab grown meat I am 100% for. I'd eat it.

Fair enough.

It's coming, maybe another 20 years to wait though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 10:02 - Jul 20 with 9849 viewsblue_oyster

A good article article, thanks for posting.

It's about economics and farming. The economic pressure on British farming is now so great, this is the result of how farming is changing in the UK, something highlighted by the Daily Mail back in 2010.

Leaving the EU will help this situation, the UK being a net contributor to the CAP, and improve conditions for farming.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 10:07 - Jul 20 with 9832 viewsNo9

This is a very importan issue and should not be trivialised because food is something we all need. We have become a very wasteful society chucking away tonnes of foodstuffs every week.
The fact that governemtn subsidieses over production and charities take what is not sold from supermarket skips is shear madness. Even dafter when it is clear the overproduction is there simply to assist the middleman make substantial profits.

It is of course central to the Jones thread because in austerity if the Rowntree and Resolution foundations are accurate means there are circa 19 million (at least) people who need low priced (never mind the quality ) foodstuffs.

In practical terms if we returned to managed farming e.g. milk & potato bords etc, considerably more food would be produced & consumed instead of wasted but that would not suit those with considerable sums invested in taking taxpayers money to produce waste - would it?
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 11:51 - Jul 20 with 9749 viewsHarry_Palmer

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:51 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

What a thoroughly unpleasant and slightly warped post. You may not find anything of value in the topic but others clearly have. Nobody is forcing you to read it, if you don't like the look of the subject, don't open it.
Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 11:52 - Jul 20 with 9749 viewsSWGF

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:38 - Jul 20 by RoyKeanesDog

Experimenting?

I didn't eat meat for five consecutive meals earlier this week.

I'm pretty much Linda McCartney reborn.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 11:56 - Jul 20 with 9730 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:25 - Jul 20 by WD19

Can I interest you in an insect burger sir !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 11:59 - Jul 20 with 9720 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:42 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

I think sometimes ignorance is bliss - but also the fact that eating well for lower price involves this meat makes it a very difficult choice for families.

I'm in a position where I can afford to be more picky and eat better quality, but that's only recent and with Mrs on maternity leave if we look to tighten belts as her pay has now stopped it will be considered to drift back.

I think it also helps that I'm not an animal lover of any real sort either - don't particularly like cats and dogs and have never (and will never) have pets so may be a bit easier for me!

5 years from now......." Daddy can I have a puppy pleeeeeeeeze ?"........"pleeeeeeeeze Daddy !"

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 12:01 - Jul 20 with 9713 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 09:41 - Jul 20 by factual_blue

I don't want vegans rammed down my throat.

Unless of course they've been force-fed maize and have delicious livers.......

" Would you like a nice drop of chianti with that Sir? "

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 12:18 - Jul 20 with 9681 viewsitfcjoe

Intensive farming in Britain - The problem is growing on 11:59 - Jul 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

5 years from now......." Daddy can I have a puppy pleeeeeeeeze ?"........"pleeeeeeeeze Daddy !"

He can go and walk my sisters dog if he's that desperate, like she used to have to when she was younger with my Uncles!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024