Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoroughly disappointing Nazi documentaries 00:54 - Jul 12 with 1652 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

Sometimes at night all I want is a decent documentary. It doesn't have to be anything special. I just don't want to be let down by it.

Tonight I have put on "Nazi Weird War Two", which from the description has promised to unearth the reality behind both well known and unknown Nazi secrets. I'll use one example from the program - that castle in Italy where the art was hidden during WW2. I might not be familiar with the exact truth of what happened before tonight, but I was aware that there was a place where a load of expensive art was hidden to protect it from the Nazis and the conflict itself.

In this documentary I wasn't holding out for anything huge, but I at least hoped for a flurry of facts that would have made the program worth making. I feel so let down right now.

The premise has essentially been the two presenters turning up at places to meet experts who clearly do know the full extent of the story, then without asking the expert the straight forward questions that would give them the answers they need, they say things like "Okay do you mind if we take a look around?".

The majority of the time is then spent with the two presenters snooping around and coming up with fanatical theories and presumptions off their own accord - all of which turn out to be untrue when they finally go and ask the expert the question they should have asked in the first place. It took at least half an hour of one of the presenters sat in the cellar analysing the moss that had grown before the other presenter finally asked the family who owned the building "I heard there was a rumour some art was hidden here"... A rumour?!

I'm just sat here thinking what is the point in this documentary. If you're going to make a documentary, don't fill it with needless gibberish that you should have worked out before you unpacked the camera.
Thoroughly disappointing Nazi documentaries on 01:02 - Jul 12 with 1636 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

I understand that the idea of these documentaries is that it's like you're walking through it all with the presenters, finding out the facts as they do.

In reality I find this style of documentary patronising. Just hurry up and give me the facts.
Thoroughly disappointing Nazi documentaries on 06:03 - Jul 12 with 1566 viewsSteve_M

I'm shocked that a programme entitled 'Nazi Weird War Two' was television clickbait.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thoroughly disappointing Nazi documentaries on 10:49 - Jul 12 with 1461 viewshoppy

Probably better off watching The Man In The High Castle... would probably be just as insightful...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Thoroughly disappointing Nazi documentaries on 11:12 - Jul 12 with 1439 viewsgtsb1966

Nothing can beat this. The voice of Laurence Olivier narrating is haunting. TV at its best.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 11:13]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024