Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goa and Mumbai advice 00:18 - Mar 15 with 1442 viewsbariotneblue

Hello chaps

Mrs Bariotne and I are heading to Goa and then on to Mumbai in late september and early October and were wondering if anyone had advice of places to stay. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Goa and Mumbai advice on 04:32 - Mar 15 with 1388 viewsBrettenhamBlue

http://www.seashellbeachsuites.com

Stayed there for 3 nights last year. Very, very good.

In terms of Mumbai, be careful of water. Buy bottled water at hotel and carry around with you.

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

Goa and Mumbai advice on 08:47 - Mar 15 with 1304 viewsPavlovsCat

Plenty of good beaches on Goa, see what takes your fancy, solitude, markets, etc. The only hassle you'll get is from beach sellers, Henna tattooists, etc.

Mumbai is a different kettle of fish, be prepared for a massive culture shock initially. Suggest you find decent, comfortable accommodation in which to destress and unwind. Though, doubtless you'll feel guilty about it!

Best advice, drnk lots of bottled water, take it in gradually, try to chill. And don't even think of driving!

Enjoy.
Goa and Mumbai advice on 13:54 - Mar 15 with 1253 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Don't goa

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/british-tourist-raped-and-murdered-while-ho
Goa and Mumbai advice on 14:04 - Mar 15 with 1241 viewsLord_Lucan

Goa - I stayed in all inclusive Holiday Inn which was ok, I am sure there are better but I found it very reasonable.

I bunged the barman a few rupees so he would give me Gordons Gin rather than the local stuff but after 5 days he ran out. Poor bloke was in a right state, he seemed to constantly be carrying a funnel around with him.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Goa and Mumbai advice on 14:35 - Mar 15 with 1224 viewsWeWereZombies

Goa and Mumbai advice on 04:32 - Mar 15 by BrettenhamBlue

http://www.seashellbeachsuites.com

Stayed there for 3 nights last year. Very, very good.

In terms of Mumbai, be careful of water. Buy bottled water at hotel and carry around with you.

And check the seal on the bottled water to make sure that it has come from a reliable source and is not a bottle someone has picked up and refilled with water from a pond - I've seen those on roadside stalls.

Be careful if offered a seemingly free day our at an all-inclusive resort - you will have to pay through the nose to get out, not experienced it myself but have heard horror stories from others.

Those two things apart, and the heat and intolerable noise from car horns, I found Goa a great place. Have not been to Mumbai but when my brother was on the dockside there waiting to be shipped over for a job an a Russian offshore rig the locals were filling up glass bottles from the sea in full sight of the crew and not understanding why no one would buy them...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Goa and Mumbai advice on 15:15 - Mar 15 with 1210 viewsBLUEBEAT

Goa is great, very different to the rest of India (obviously).

Anjuna market is fun.

I had 3 very decent suits knocked up for the equivalent of £30 a piece in Anjuna old town.

Shiva's Face on Ozram Beach for photo opportunity.

My favourite beach was Vagator and it has the Chopara fort overlooking it.

Would definitely recommend taking a train (or taxi as cheap) to Hospet/Hampi in neighbouring Karnataka and maybe stay overnight there.

Have also done the tents on beach thing as posted above - worth doing but you never know what the other participants will be like....

Mumbai was hard the me. You tend to adapt to the poverty you see but Mumbai is next (lower) level :(

Poll: W or W

Goa and Mumbai advice on 15:21 - Mar 15 with 1203 viewshype313

Goa and Mumbai advice on 13:54 - Mar 15 by FrowsyArmLarry

Don't goa

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/british-tourist-raped-and-murdered-while-ho

If that's the case, then don't head into Ipswich anytime soon then.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Goa and Mumbai advice on 15:24 - Mar 15 with 1197 viewsWeWereZombies

Goa and Mumbai advice on 15:15 - Mar 15 by BLUEBEAT

Anjuna market is fun.

I had 3 very decent suits knocked up for the equivalent of £30 a piece in Anjuna old town.

Would definitely recommend taking a train (or taxi as cheap) to Hospet/Hampi in neighbouring Karnataka and maybe stay overnight there.

Have also done the tents on beach thing as posted above - worth doing but you never know what the other participants will be like....

Mumbai was hard the me. You tend to adapt to the poverty you see but Mumbai is next (lower) level :(

The trip to Hampi via train to Hospet and then bus or taxi to Hampi is a great call, when I was there in 2005 it was as if it was 1967 - I was expecting to see The Beatles and Donovan sitting cross-legged in one of the tents. Interesting temple but watch out for the monkeys stealing your lunch and do the train, it goes across a waterfall in the Western Ghats! You need to buy your ticket the day before though, and be prepared to queue....and queue.......and queue............

Made the mistake of going down to Gokarna from Hospet on an overnight bus, even though we had berths it was hellish.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Goa and Mumbai advice on 15:40 - Mar 15 with 1169 viewsBLUEBEAT

Goa and Mumbai advice on 15:24 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

The trip to Hampi via train to Hospet and then bus or taxi to Hampi is a great call, when I was there in 2005 it was as if it was 1967 - I was expecting to see The Beatles and Donovan sitting cross-legged in one of the tents. Interesting temple but watch out for the monkeys stealing your lunch and do the train, it goes across a waterfall in the Western Ghats! You need to buy your ticket the day before though, and be prepared to queue....and queue.......and queue............

Made the mistake of going down to Gokarna from Hospet on an overnight bus, even though we had berths it was hellish.

Yep, the train is an excellent experience in itself.

*** Westerner survivalist tip (for all of India). Always carry toilet paper with you.

Poll: W or W

Goa and Mumbai advice on 16:05 - Mar 15 with 1151 viewsLord_Lucan

Goa and Mumbai advice on 15:15 - Mar 15 by BLUEBEAT

Anjuna market is fun.

I did the tent thing. It was ok but the rest of the party were cretins.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024